Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Apologies if wrong thread - Read Write Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if wrong thread - Read Write Question...

Hi,

I'm a newbie to alpha 5 and would like to ask if someone could point me in the direction of an example batch routine which reads table (a) in a specific sequence, selectively totals some figures from qualifying records and on change of a field value writes a record to table (b).

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Apologies if wrong thread - Read Write Question...

Hi paul, welcome in the Alphacommunity.

I split up your questions a and b

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
    .... an example batch routine which reads table (a) in a specific sequence, selectively totals some figures from qualifying records ...
    Try to make an operation from the control panel.
    Choose summarize table. Just play around until you get what you need.
    With this it is not important in which sequence the operation reads the data.

....on change of a field value writes a record to table (b).
    It's not clear what you exactly want to achieve.
    If you want to know which record was changed you can log it in the record by adding fields with date, time and user.
    These fields can be updated with every changing in the contents of the record. Do a search in this forum about fieldrules.
    Cal Locklin has many times given a good instruction/explanation.
    Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

I think Ton is on the right track. I read your post to say that you want to create a result table of

field1-----------field2
      somefield_value summary_of_another_field_for_all_records_with_same_somefield

A summarize operation will do this all at once.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Ton,

Thanks for your welcome and your answer.
        I will play around with operations and see if I can figure out a solution that works for me. It would be nice if there was an alpha vid to help me with this though.
        My write record was to do with a change of date field, so if I had 10 records with the same date I would write my summary record when a new date was read or end of table reached.

Thanks again,

Paul

Originally posted by Ton Spies View Post
        Hi paul, welcome in the Alphacommunity.

I split up your questions a and b

Try to make an operation from the control panel.
        Choose summarize table. Just play around until you get what you need.
        With this it is not important in which sequence the operation reads the data.

It's not clear what you exactly want to achieve.
        If you want to know which record was changed you can log it in the record by adding fields with date, time and user.
        These fields can be updated with every changing in the contents of the record. Do a search in this forum about fieldrules.
        Cal Locklin has many times given a good instruction/explanation.

Comment

Thanks Stan,

Paul

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
          I think Ton is on the right track. I read your post to say that you want to create a result table of

field1-----------field2
          somefield_value summary_of_another_field_for_all_records_with_same_somefield

A summarize operation will do this all at once.

Comment

Hi Paul,

It would be nice if there was an alpha vid to help me with this though.
            If you've done this twice ....
            Note that you must give some paramaters and your output is written to an outputtable. As it is read only on your data, nothing can go wrong except when you choose an outputname which is an existing tablename.

My write record was to do with a change of date field, so if I had 10 records with the same date I would write my summary record when a new date was read or end of table reached.
            The fun with summarizing records is that you can get totals and/or counts on fieldvalues just as you wish.
            If you start with 'new', the genie can help you to complete your information.
            Look at the 'group by' maybe you then choose your datefield.
            Just try to get totals and counts(of records).
            Just save them (temporarily) so you can compare input with the output while you are learning. Then save the right one.
            You can run the operation after changing records -whatever you changed - to have an up to date summarization.

good luck

Ton

Comment

Hi Ton,

Thanks for your further assistance.

I managed to achieve what I wanted to do by creating two operations, 1) a copy operation to create a summary table with one record for each date with necessary comparison data as a default and 2) a post operation that married up to the new table by date and replaced certain values if the related condition was met.

Excellent...

I can't wait to start using some of the other operations - so - I just need to keep on trialling and erring until it makes sense.
              Keith Hubert was also a great help - thanks Keith.

Great product...

Thanks again,

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you've done this twice ....
              Note that you must give some paramaters and your output is written to an outputtable. As it is read only on your data, nothing can go wrong except when you choose an outputname which is an existing tablename.

The fun with summarizing records is that you can get totals and/or counts on fieldvalues just as you wish.
              If you start with 'new', the genie can help you to complete your information.
              Look at the 'group by' maybe you then choose your datefield.
              Just try to get totals and counts(of records).
              Just save them (temporarily) so you can compare input with the output while you are learning. Then save the right one.
              You can run the operation after changing records -whatever you changed - to have an up to date summarization.

good luck

Ton

Comment

Hi Paul

1) a copy operation to create a summary table with one record for each date with necessary comparison data as a default
                Just a warning for that. When you decide to use the 'copy records' operation, the output is written to a NEW table....so

2) a post operation that married up to the new table by date and replaced certain values if the related condition was met.
                NEW table .....so if you have saved an operation for a table that will be overwritten, that operation then also has gone.

But by the time you are more experienced, you 'll take the Xbasic source from of all your operations, remove unwanted parts and bind them together in one or more functions.

Keith Hubert was also a great help - thanks Keith.
                He sure is. Keith is what we call in the Netherlands 'een echte AlphaTijger'

Comment

NEW table .....so if you have saved an operation for a table that will be overwritten, that operation then also has gone.
                  Not unless you specify to delete the existing data dictionaries. (Checkbox third from top.)

There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                  X