Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Remote Desktop Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remote Desktop Application

if they set up 2003 and T/S, they could have switched to Citrix, which has greater support for local devices.

I understand 2008 will offer support for a much wider range of devices, as well as a new universal printer, instead of a separate driver for every user.

I have heard that after 13 users of the same program, it is best to set op additional servers for T/S for every 13 users - I know of one app that uses about 175 concurrent users of the same program.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

I used uSoft Remote Desktop for a while but it was unreliable and different service providers made my life miserable by doing things like blocking port 80 etc...

So... i have used logmein for about a year now... works PERFECTLY!!!

take a look at www.logmein.com

D

Comment

Originally posted by turbojack View Post
        I can access my USB items pluged into my computer to get information into the TS session. I have not tried a scanner yet but I have used local printer, USB drives, cameras, & other items like that. We are using Terminal services with a Dell server, Windows 2003 64x server OS, 4g ram, 4 core processor. I check time to time and I have not seen a reason to add more ram. We have had 10 users with no problem at all. Maybe after that it takes a hit but we have not seen any problems. We have set up A5 where it will use a different processors for the different users since by default it will only use one. We also have Quickbooks on this server with no problems. Quickbooks uses the processor with the least demand when accessing the program.
        Yeah....ya know....I typed without thinking on this one...I am not real sure of the exact limitations of Microsoft Terminal Server......I forgot the box the network people setup at my client was using Vmware to run 2 virtual servers running Miscrosoft Terminal Server. Now that I think of it...I think it was the Vmware that was causing the problem in this particular instance. In this case it was a nightmare with the config I just mentioned.

I love logmein for support and remote access. I couldn't get along without it. But, I could never see setting up an app for contant day to day access by normal users using it. There is always that slight internet lag.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

With the little knowledge I have of networks, I built my application to run from a central shared machine. I got everyone to map their S drive to the shared folder that contains the application.

When multiple people save or access data, they all share and save to the same location.

In some ways that was bad planning on my part because I never thought I�d be going public with this application.

My quandary lies around the fact that I now want to package and publish this application for distribution so that it will be able to run on anyone�s machine. However, some function buttons I have restricts any new users to create a mapped �S� drive pointing to specific folders. What if there is no network, what if the user wants to just run the app on their own �C� or �D� drive. I guess I�d have to rewrite all the buttons that point to S.

My question is basically two parts. I'm trying to understand how Alpha interacts with my application over a shared computer vs. local computer.

1. Does the machine operating the runtime version do the processing or does the machine (server) containing the developed version do the processing of the application. Which machine does the work of repainting the screens and changing the data in the fields.

2. As more users log into a server containing the application, does this slow down the server.

Comment

If you are using dbf's, then all the processing is done on the run time machines. The server i just a central repository for the data.

If you are using a SQL back end, some of that processing can be moved to the server.

As for the slowdown, the network traffic is the concern not the server slowing down.

Comment

All my users - 6 Local and 7 remote use VPN to login to the Network and Then Remote Desktop(Which Automatically Uses TErminal Services) You can set up users to either use Only Network Printers - Depending on your server may have to have drivers installed on the Server that Runs the Application(i.e. we have Server 2008 and drivers on Server have to be 64bit drivers) - but only need to be loaded once. If someone wants to use a Local(USB type) printer just make sure their RDP is set on options to use Local Devices (If you don't want this make sure you shut it off - otherwise Network printers will show up as Local-Says redirected next to name - and as Normal) - These Redirected printers will have a print delay - as it is going from local Computer - RDP and then back to Local to Print.

Doing this way you can also set your program thru security to use windows login for the program itself.

I tried the mapping to the drive - lots of lag time, slow and with multiple users out of main office caused issues.

Note: Even local users use RDP to access program not a mapped drive. Also means you only loan Runtime and do updates at once location and they are then automatic for each person.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenMcLean View Post
                If you are using dbf's, then all the processing is done on the run time machines. The server i just a central repository for the data.

If you are using a SQL back end, some of that processing can be moved to the server.

As for the slowdown, the network traffic is the concern not the server slowing down.
                Just wanted to pass along one noteworthy obervation when running a "conventional" (non-SQL) system. A lot of Microsoft networks use My Documents redirection to create a "virtual" my docs for the users that actually reside on the server. If you run Alpha's Network Optimize routine...by default it tries to place the shadow in each workstation's My Docs. My experience is you will see no benefit at all using shadow if this happens to be your configuration....since your My Docs really reside on the server. You must move your shadow outside My Docs to see the speed benefit.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I have a client running an Alpha medical software app where they currently have 24 remote facilities as well as the Home Office using the app, all via T/S.

We have the system setup to automatically kick off users when there is no activity for a set length of time - both from within Alpha and T/S.

Locally there will occasionally be 2 to 4 users doing billing, etc.

Since all remote data is entered after the fact, as at the end of a shift, we have never had any performance issues. We are currently using Server 2003 on a 32 bit AMD with only 4 GIG ram, with a DSL thru-put of 3Mbits. All remote facilities have the same printer, and print to their local printer.

That server, however, is about 4 years old, and we plan to get a new 64 bit Zeon with maybe 8 GIG ram and Server 2008 this summer. I have read that 2008 has a new "Universal Printer" that makes setting up the remote users much simpler.

I originally set up the program to use different processors for different user groups, but after talking to 2 high level techs (a manufacturer rep and an Alpha developer,) I removed that feature as it is said to be better handled by the server itself.

I have never used Citrix, but it is a much more sophisticated system than T/S, and will allegedly handle virtually any local device, either on the local w/s or even the local server. But it is also much more expensive. And we don't need any additional features.
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Jeff, this is true. Redirection can however be turned of on a user by user basis from the server or through Group Policies. IMO document redirection has many benefits including the ability to backup with the server backup, so as you suggest keep the shadow outside the My Documents folder.

Comment

Martin, Server / SBS2008 does a much easier job with printers. USB support is also much better. I have not used Citrix, but it is much more expensive. If you do virtualized desktops it may be something to investigate.

Comment

Chuck,
                        Regarding the "S:" drive:
                        You can create a batch file on each computer to run the DOS command,
                        subst s: c:

or even
                        subst s: c:\myapp

Then you don't have to rewrite anything that refers to an "S:" drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Leah View Post
                          All my users - 6 Local and 7 remote use VPN to login to the Network and Then Remote Desktop(Which Automatically Uses TErminal Services) Note: Even local users use RDP to access program not a mapped drive. Also means you only loan Runtime and do updates at once location and they are then automatic for each person.
                          My experience is that you can have only one Remote Desktop Connection at a time is there a way to have more than one?
                          If I am connected through Remote Desktop from machine A and I log on from machine B it logs off machine A.
                          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                            My experience is that you can have only one Remote Desktop Connection at a time is there a way to have more than one?
                            If I am connected through Remote Desktop from machine A and I log on from machine B it logs off machine A.
                            If you are using Server 2003 or 2008 you should have as many sessions as you have licenses for. If you are only seeing one there then you need to change a setting that is only allowing one. In the non server OS's you can only have one at a time.

Comment

If you are going to use T/S or even Citrix, then this is what you need to do:
                              1. If you do not already have a dedicated server running 2003 0r 2008 server O/S - have an IT person buy one and set it up with as many licenses as you have users
                              2. buy Terminal Services with as many seats as users - have an IT person set it up
                              3. put your program on the server, and have the IT pseron put "Icons" on the desktops for users that will log them in to the server
                              4. Have him set it up so they log directly in the program on the server - NOT THE SERVER itself.
                              5. Have him set it up to kick them off automatically after a designated length on inactivity
                              6. Set up a timer on your program that will auto cancel and close all open screens and exit alpha, and auto end the T/S session after a designated length of inactivity.
                              7. Buy and put an HP Laser printer at every workstation where they want to print locally.
                              If you need help, let me know; I've been using T/S with afore mentioned settings for several years.
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Wayne View Post
                                Chuck,
                                Regarding the "S:" drive:
                                You can create a batch file on each computer to run the DOS command,
                                subst s: c:

or even
                                subst s: c:\myapp

Then you don't have to rewrite anything that refers to an "S:" drive.

The batch file sounds like a good solution. I haven't written a batch file since 1989. It was one of the first dos commands I learned after the base help commands :o

Comment

Working...
                                X