Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Remote Desktop Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finian Lennon
    replied
    Re: Remote Desktop Application

Citrix seems to keep a significant edge over TS. TS still has limited support for client-connected devices other than printers. There's no support at all for scanning. But that's about all I know.

Leave a comment:

• martinwcole
    replied

Finnian - do you think Server 2008 with T/S offers close to the functionality of Citrix?

Leave a comment:

• Finian Lennon
    replied

FWIW, I have recently tested V10 with the latest Citrix on a (I think) Server 2003 machine. The primary goal was to see if we could run the scanning module I wrote.

I tested using a Xerox Documate 152 scanner. It is the least expensive machine that combines ADF, duplex scanning and its own Twain driver (for use with the Dosadi ActiveX control). I got it for less than $400 on Amazon.com. It's a great machine. The Documate is not on Citrix's official list of supported scanners.

The V10 scanning works perfectly with Citrix. The speed is a tiny bit slower than running local but not enough to be an issue. It's a great solution.

Citrix licenses are expensive but this is part of the answer to why so many businesses are willing to pay for them.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Wood
    replied

Just wanted to interject the name of a product I use to manage multiple RD connections - RoyalTS (http://www.code4ward.net). See the attached image. I can keep all of my connections open at the same time and control display, clipboard, etc. It's one of my top five most useful utilities for A5 server management.

(Other four - AlwaysUp, FileZilla, CobainBackup and WebLog Expert)

Leave a comment:

• ebm
    replied

Chuck,
    I have over 100 users accessing remote desktops, either via Terminal Services to individual workstations, or to TS desktops on several TS servers. FYI - Remote Desktop Connection(RDC) is Microsoft's built in remote access solutions for Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 PCs. It uses Terminal Service technology to make individual connections to end user PCs or servers. A Terminal Server is an physical Windows server that utilizes Terminal Service technology and comes standard with the operating system. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you need to purchase licenses for users to connect to a Terminal Server.

In your shoes, the first solution I would try is to get remote users securely connected to their work PCs using the free version of logmein, if the company will allow this. It's free, does an excellent job at managing printer redirection, and can be implemented in under 10 minutes per user. I prefer this to TS for individual connections to a PC because it does not require port forwarding thru the firewall, and I do not believe that TS is 100% secure over the Internet, but that's just my opinion.

If the company does not wish to permit remote access to individual PCs, then using a MS Terminal Server solution would work quite well. There are many reports of remote printing issues in Terminal Server setups, but they can usually be fixed by using Microsoft's universal print drivers for TS, or by installing an excellent product named Simplify Suite, which is designed to provide remedies for some of TS' quirks.

In any event, the manner in which the company wishes the users to connect is the first thing that needs to be determined. After that, any of the methods I've described should be fairly simple to implement...

EBM

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Bytes
    replied

Originally posted by Peter.Wayne View Post
    Chuck,
    Regarding the "S:" drive:
    You can create a batch file on each computer to run the DOS command,
    subst s: c:

or even
    subst s: c:\myapp

Then you don't have to rewrite anything that refers to an "S:" drive.

The batch file sounds like a good solution. I haven't written a batch file since 1989. It was one of the first dos commands I learned after the base help commands :o

Leave a comment:

• martinwcole
    replied

If you are going to use T/S or even Citrix, then this is what you need to do:
    1. If you do not already have a dedicated server running 2003 0r 2008 server O/S - have an IT person buy one and set it up with as many licenses as you have users
    2. buy Terminal Services with as many seats as users - have an IT person set it up
    3. put your program on the server, and have the IT pseron put "Icons" on the desktops for users that will log them in to the server
    4. Have him set it up so they log directly in the program on the server - NOT THE SERVER itself.
    5. Have him set it up to kick them off automatically after a designated length on inactivity
    6. Set up a timer on your program that will auto cancel and close all open screens and exit alpha, and auto end the T/S session after a designated length of inactivity.
    7. Buy and put an HP Laser printer at every workstation where they want to print locally.
    If you need help, let me know; I've been using T/S with afore mentioned settings for several years.

Leave a comment:

• turbojack
    replied

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
    My experience is that you can have only one Remote Desktop Connection at a time is there a way to have more than one?
    If I am connected through Remote Desktop from machine A and I log on from machine B it logs off machine A.
    If you are using Server 2003 or 2008 you should have as many sessions as you have licenses for. If you are only seeing one there then you need to change a setting that is only allowing one. In the non server OS's you can only have one at a time.

Leave a comment:

• frankbicknell
    replied

Originally posted by Leah View Post
    All my users - 6 Local and 7 remote use VPN to login to the Network and Then Remote Desktop(Which Automatically Uses TErminal Services) Note: Even local users use RDP to access program not a mapped drive. Also means you only loan Runtime and do updates at once location and they are then automatic for each person.
    My experience is that you can have only one Remote Desktop Connection at a time is there a way to have more than one?
    If I am connected through Remote Desktop from machine A and I log on from machine B it logs off machine A.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.Wayne
    replied

Chuck,
    Regarding the "S:" drive:
    You can create a batch file on each computer to run the DOS command,
    subst s: c:

or even
    subst s: c:\myapp

Then you don't have to rewrite anything that refers to an "S:" drive.

Leave a comment:

• StevenMcLean
    replied

Martin, Server / SBS2008 does a much easier job with printers. USB support is also much better. I have not used Citrix, but it is much more expensive. If you do virtualized desktops it may be something to investigate.

Leave a comment:

• StevenMcLean
    replied

Jeff, this is true. Redirection can however be turned of on a user by user basis from the server or through Group Policies. IMO document redirection has many benefits including the ability to backup with the server backup, so as you suggest keep the shadow outside the My Documents folder.

Leave a comment:

• martinwcole
    replied

I have a client running an Alpha medical software app where they currently have 24 remote facilities as well as the Home Office using the app, all via T/S.

We have the system setup to automatically kick off users when there is no activity for a set length of time - both from within Alpha and T/S.

Locally there will occasionally be 2 to 4 users doing billing, etc.

Since all remote data is entered after the fact, as at the end of a shift, we have never had any performance issues. We are currently using Server 2003 on a 32 bit AMD with only 4 GIG ram, with a DSL thru-put of 3Mbits. All remote facilities have the same printer, and print to their local printer.

That server, however, is about 4 years old, and we plan to get a new 64 bit Zeon with maybe 8 GIG ram and Server 2008 this summer. I have read that 2008 has a new "Universal Printer" that makes setting up the remote users much simpler.

I originally set up the program to use different processors for different user groups, but after talking to 2 high level techs (a manufacturer rep and an Alpha developer,) I removed that feature as it is said to be better handled by the server itself.

I have never used Citrix, but it is a much more sophisticated system than T/S, and will allegedly handle virtually any local device, either on the local w/s or even the local server. But it is also much more expensive. And we don't need any additional features.

Leave a comment:

• jkletrovets
    replied

Originally posted by StevenMcLean View Post
    If you are using dbf's, then all the processing is done on the run time machines. The server i just a central repository for the data.

If you are using a SQL back end, some of that processing can be moved to the server.

As for the slowdown, the network traffic is the concern not the server slowing down.
    Just wanted to pass along one noteworthy obervation when running a "conventional" (non-SQL) system. A lot of Microsoft networks use My Documents redirection to create a "virtual" my docs for the users that actually reside on the server. If you run Alpha's Network Optimize routine...by default it tries to place the shadow in each workstation's My Docs. My experience is you will see no benefit at all using shadow if this happens to be your configuration....since your My Docs really reside on the server. You must move your shadow outside My Docs to see the speed benefit.

Regards,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Leah
    replied

All my users - 6 Local and 7 remote use VPN to login to the Network and Then Remote Desktop(Which Automatically Uses TErminal Services) You can set up users to either use Only Network Printers - Depending on your server may have to have drivers installed on the Server that Runs the Application(i.e. we have Server 2008 and drivers on Server have to be 64bit drivers) - but only need to be loaded once. If someone wants to use a Local(USB type) printer just make sure their RDP is set on options to use Local Devices (If you don't want this make sure you shut it off - otherwise Network printers will show up as Local-Says redirected next to name - and as Normal) - These Redirected printers will have a print delay - as it is going from local Computer - RDP and then back to Local to Print.

Doing this way you can also set your program thru security to use windows login for the program itself.

I tried the mapping to the drive - lots of lag time, slow and with multiple users out of main office caused issues.

Note: Even local users use RDP to access program not a mapped drive. Also means you only loan Runtime and do updates at once location and they are then automatic for each person.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X