Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Patch causes problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Patch causes problems

I just downloaded the new patch for the runtime and full. Now my application is freezing, locking up and has to be shut down using the task manager. Forms acting crazy. Went back to the previous and all is OK. I should have learned from the days of V8 to watch any new patch for a while until it seems safe.

Re: New Patch causes problems

Hi Fred,

Can you give more information as to what conditions your forms are at time they are freezing. Are you in design mode or data entry? What else is going on at that time?

Does this happen to all your applications or just one?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Data Entry. After I reverted back to the previous patch the problems almost stopped. Then I reiunstalled the full original version and the rest of the problems stopped and the app runs fine. There were a lot of display problems in forms and browses from the new patch.

Another problem was functions that have been working for years suddenly stopped working. Again this was cleared up by installing the provious patch.

Most of my apps were designed in V8 abd still work great even in Windows 7 under compatibility mode with Windows XP

I'm going to hold off on further development with V10 until I feel more comfortable that the bugs are fixed.

I went through the same thing for a while when V8 came out.

Comment

Another important part of information to give whenever posting, especially when referring to a patch, is exactly what patch is being referred to!!!!!

This goes for other posts/forums too as far as I am concerned. Without knowing version and build levels, how is one to know what is for what when dealing with patches?? Any forum which is not version specific, such as the Code Archive, one should always post the version/builds.

Just my thoughts. :)
        Mike

Comment

Mike,

I agree but when I put the word new patch I would understand that it is the newest and latest patch. Since the last patch is more than a month old I would constrew "new" to mean the last patch posted on the update page.

In the future I will add the patch number and build information when posting.

Comment

There also appear to be bugs on the app server side.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Fred,
              I really was not meaning to pick on you---just trying to get others to realize that context can be so important is all. As you said, it possibly could be determined right now which patch you are referring to by comparing your post date and then going to the patch page and comparing.....but what a pain to do and it won't be long when the patch/update page will no longer be available....then no way to know.

That is my entire point----that future users who come across this thread in search of solutions will not know if it applies to them or not....I'm just trying to keep our "knowledgebase" searchable and meaningful I guess.
              Mike

Comment

To add weight to Mikes argument is that there were actually two patches supplied the same day about 6hours apart. The problems may be associated with both
                -----------------------------------------------
                Regards
                Mark Pearson
                [email protected]
                Youtube channel
                Website

Comment

Mike and Mark,

Your both right. The oatch I downloaded was the day after it was released so I think it included both. In the future I will add the build information as I can now see where it may be a bt confusing to those that come along later.

I hop they get it fixed soon.

Comment

Re: 3520 New Patch causes problems

I am using patch 3520 and designing MySql grids, the CPU is constantly running at 90 - 100% and it has taken me 2 hours to do what I was doing in 20 mins. I have tried restarting A5, used Preview ,Live Preview and Working Preview same results. I accessed my MySql database using another program works as expected without CPU spikes so.. this patch has some "issues". Also I noticed that I am getting a few JScript compile errors when I open grids that I created with previous patches. If I take a break it takes A5 almost 5-10 secs to drop CPU usage down to 0%.
                    Last edited by graycoder63; 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Alpha is aware and working on an update now.

I agree with others that the new patch, er 2727-3521, has problems. My server shows a dialog with "Error running server start-up script.
                      Last edited by Steve Wood; 01-31-2010, 09:59 PM.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

The current Alpha Five Version 10 build is 2731_3522 (released on 31 JAN 2010 09:09 PM).
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Installing 2727-3521 on my server caused me to receive an error dialog on WAS startup - "Error running server start-up script", afterwich the server would abort. I could not fix it by patching back or forward. Touchy situation because I could not start the server to deactivate my license if I wanted to uninstall and reinstall.

However, I resolved the problem by finding and renaming Alpha's xml config file found at this default location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Application Server Version 10\Installations\CProgramFilesa5V10ApplicationServer\ApplicationServerConfig.xml

Then I was able to patch up to the latest, which created a brand new default config file. I had to reconfigure my WAS, which was only a non-default Document Root setting.

If you are ever faced with a situation where you cannot start the server, this is a good thing to try.

By the way - even though there was an error on the original patch, it is real nice that Alpha staff typically does this on the weekend. It minimizes the impact on the larger user base, gives us all a chance to work it out.
                          Last edited by Steve Wood; 02-01-2010, 05:42 AM.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

On Windows Server 2008 I could not locate the XML file to delete. I ultimately had to reinstall Alpha Server from the original version 10 file and then patched back to the 2659-3515 version. I also had to restore my applications after having recompiled using the newest patch on my Alpha Developer software.

Is there any word on the new patch and what's happening with eliminating the "Startup Script" error? Since my server is a production machine and several Sheriff's offices in Kentucky are using it I'll wait until an all clear has been sounded on the new patch.
                            Brad Weaver, President
                            ComputerAid International
                            Ottawa ON Canada
                            Versailles KY USA
                            www.compuaid.com

Comment

Working...
                            X