Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Definitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitions

Is there a place where Alpha has definitions; Something which defines what the 'Value� property of object(s)is, what the Get Field Values (into variables) is, etc. Alpha is good about telling what things are but not what they mean.

I'd also like to find some examples of using xDialog for data entry. I've been through the xDialog help and examples; maybe I just don't recognize it?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Definitions

Hi Ken,

What part of data entry from a dialog box don't you get.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Kenn, there are some pretty decent data entry examples in the Code Archive forum of the message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
        Kenn, there are some pretty decent data entry examples in the Code Archive forum of the message board.
        Hi Tom,

I've been thru the Code Archive numerous times and the only xDialog examples I find are for "traveling down the highway" rather than "building the highway". The only way I've found for xDialog data to be enterd is by opening a form as a xDialog. Even then, it requires a lookup to find the linking field. I've tried various routines of Get & Set in action scripting but it always returns the current record in the child table. I've searched A5 Help form one side to the other, looked at the xDialog examples (none for data entry other than open form as an xDialog). I've searched all forums, NADA. In short, I would like to see an example of an xDialog which enters data just as a form would be used to enter data into a child table.

Thank you,

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
          Hi Ken,

What part of data entry from a dialog box don't you get.
          I would like to see an example of an xDialog which enters data just as a form would be used to enter data into a child table.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
            I would like to see an example of an xDialog which enters data just as a form would be used to enter data into a child table.
            Here are 2 simple ways to use an xdialog to enter data into a table...

1. "outside the box" entry:
            Code:
            vDate = Date()

xBox = ui_dlg_box("Investment Account",<<%dlg%
            {region}
            Add Account Info:;
            {endregion};
            {region}
            Date:| [%DATE;P=popup.calendar(dtoc(vDate));I=popup.calendar%.20vDate!vDate_*];
            Account:| [.20vAccountNo];
            Account Type:| [.20vAccType];
            Value:| [.20VAmount];
            {endregion};
            {line=1,0};
            {region}
            <*15Add> <15Cancel>
            {endregion};
            %dlg%,<<%code%
            if left(a_dlg_button,6) = "vDate_" then 
                if a_dlg_button = "vDate_killfocus" then 
                    vDate = ctod(dtoc(vDate))
                end if 
                a_dlg_button = ""
            end if
            %code%)

IF xBox = "Add"
                vAmountValue = int(val(STRITRAN(STRITRAN(vAmount,"$",""),",","")))    ''strip $ and commas

tbl = table.open("xyz")
                tbl.enter_begin()
                tbl.Date = vDate
                tbl.Account_No = vAccountNo
                tbl.Type = vAccType
                tbl.Total_Value = vAmountValue
                tbl.enter_end(.T.)
                tbl.close()
            END IF
            2. "inside the box" entry:
            Code:
            ui_dlg_box("Tab with Enter",<<%dlg%
            {on_key=enter}{lf};
            First name:|[.30f];Last name:|[.30l];Address:|[.30add];
            City:|[.30city];State:|[.5st]    Zip:[.10zip];{lf};
            |<10OK> <10Cancel>;
            %dlg%,<<%code%
            if a_dlg_button = "enter" 
            ui_dlg_navigate("tab with enter","Next")
            a_dlg_button = ""
            end if
            if a_dlg_button = "OK" 
            tbl = table.open("abc")
            tbl.change_begin()
            tbl.City = City
            tbl.change_end(.T.)
            tbl.close()
            a_dlg_button = ""
            end if
            %code%)
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the examples. what is the difference between your code and xBasic. For those who are short on xBasic (I'm one of them), we can transpose our tables and fields. Beyond that, UGH. I have been under the impression xDialog was like creating a dialog box with action scripting. But, it seems that, other than using action scripting to create an xDialog box, one must know xBasic.

I thought there was an xDialog 'genie' that was used to create an input dialog box just as the ones in action scripting.

I do appreciate the examples and no doubt, they will help many others as well.

kenn

Comment

...Beyond that, UGH. I have been under the impression xDialog was like creating a dialog box with action scripting. But, it seems that, other than using action scripting to create an xDialog box, one must know xBasic.
                Oops. Sorry. Didn't even thing of A.S. since I rarely use it. I guess you would create your xdialog and either add button code (xbaisc) within the xdialog genie, OR use A.S. to assign your xdialog variables to table entry values. Using A.S. like that is tedious, but doable.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  Oops. Sorry. Didn't even thing of A.S. since I rarely use it. I guess you would create your xdialog and either add button code (xbaisc) within the xdialog genie, OR use A.S. to assign your xdialog variables to table entry values. Using A.S. like that is tedious, but doable.
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are well adapt at xBasic so it goes fast. Until you become familiar with Xdialog genies, it would be tedious. It's just the opposite for me. I can zip thru the genies at a decent clip.

For those like me, the xBasic examples are good but we need a bit more, an explanation of what's what and who's who. I look at the code and can figure out most but not all. i.e., [.30l], what the "l" stand for/mean? [.30add] What does "add" mean? Without an explanation, we can make a few things fit but that's where it ends. To know xBasic is to understand it. What one doesn't know, one doesn't understand., Sadly Alpha does poor job at explaining the code and even the action scripts.

That has been my pet peeve not only with Alpha but most software. The instructions are written by the experienced for the experienced, and NOT for the inexperienced. Had Alpha done that early on, they would have lived up to the claim "...anyone can use". That's why I said in another post, the documentation is harder and more time consuming than the development.

Thanks again,

kenn

Comment

I look at the code and can figure out most but not all. i.e., [.30l], what the "l" stand for/mean? [.30add] What does "add" mean?
                    Yeah, xdialog is a bear. Xdialog code is terse and cryptic, both. That particular example was ripped off an xbasic sample somewhere. "l"and "add"are both variables for last name and address. I would have used [.30vLastName] and [.30vAddress]. But I hear ya.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Going back to the first part of my post:

Action Scripting offers:

Get �Value� property of Object(s)
                      Set �Value� property of Field(s)

Alpha help shows:

Set Value Property of Object(s)
                      Set Variable(s) to field Values (Fields on a form)

Action Scripting does not offer Set Value Property of Object(s). So, what�s the difference? Is there a misprint in the Action Script and/or the Help? I'm guessing there is no difference?Either way, it does not work. Or, is there a step I'm missing?

kenn

Comment

Ken,
                        I am confused a bit about what you are questioning.....xDialog....or xBasic ? Two different things really. xBasic can be used in conjunction with xDialog (the %code% area you see), but is not the same language.

Regarding
                        Action Scripting does not offer Set Value Property of Object(s)
                        I use this all the time from Action Script (and then modify with xbasic)....see attached....

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                          Ken,
                          I am confused a bit about what you are questioning.....xDialog....or xBasic ? Two different things really. xBasic can be used in conjunction with xDialog (the %code% area you see), but is not the same language.
                          xDialog.

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                          Regarding I use this all the time from Action Script (and then modify with xbasic)....see attached....

[ATTACH]23557[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23558[/ATTACH]
                          Why do you use the Set Properties rather than the Set Value? I tried using your suggestion but it still doesn't work.

kenn
                          Last edited by forskare; 01-31-2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Ken,
                            I had some issues with Set Field Values in action script a while back.....converted them to Set Object Properties and the issues went away.....could have been me but know of others who had same issues at the time who did the same. The latter is much more flexible as well so to me much more useful.

Truthfully, if you are trying to use xdialog to set values by using action scripting I really do not know how either---have from day one used xbasic to do it.....and is why I hesitated to answer. I know....not really helpful to you though. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.
                            Mike

Comment

Kenn,

I had this example in mind. It's a data entry example and it's found in the Code Archive Forum and seems to be a complete example of what you were asking about. Have you taken a look at it?

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...hlight=xdialog

Comment

Working...
                              X