Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sets education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sets education

Where is the best place to explore the intricacies of sets? I find much of my troubles are due to not setting up sets correctly. I understand the basic concepts explained in the User's Manual, but when you start adding filters (which don't seem to be working) and "Show parent record only if there is a child record" in the setup screen for sets, I quickly lose my way.

I would really like to read a "walk-through" of how A5 generates a record ... does it apply filters to the child records first, then look for parents, then assemble a composite record? In Access, when I create a query, I look at a datasheet view of that and can even look at the underlying SQL statement which created that. I tried using a default browse to examine the set, but the browse became befuddled and showed different data in each record as I move my cursor up and down the database.

Thank you.
    David A. Volgas, MD

Re: Sets education

David

Not sure what you are running into with the default browse, but I typically use the ad hoc browse to generate a simple browse with the import information for a set. ie the linking fields and enough info to see how Alpha is seeing the data..

Save that browse and you can work through the options of sets and see the result.

I've even gone to the level of color coding the columns in the browse so I can see the tables by color...

Hope that helps.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

David,

Thinks of sets for viewing data and for reports, but not for data entry. If you haven't already, take a look at this dated, but pertinent, article by Dr. Peter Wayne.

http://www.learn alpha.com/SimplifyY...ifyYourApp.htm
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

attached is a database with a set, which I use for a report. first problem is opening a default browse, which doesn't display anything. However, I used the ad hoc browse to create a browse and saved it as brwset. if you open that browse, look at the records displayed, you will notice that it changes after you navigate up and down records. Pay particular attention to the column with payments and notice how it changes.

thanks,

dave
        David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for the sample zip file, it makes it so much easier to understand what you are trying to do.

I can see why you are getting confused.

That is not the way to use a browse from a set.

There is nothing wrong in the set construction, however, where data is to be displayed with parent and child records. The set would be used on a form, with the browse showing the records from the child table.

Have a look at the Invoice form in Alpha Sports.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thank you, Keith. However, what I need is to populate a report with data from the following tables:

practice
            |-------physician
            | |---------- charges
            |-------payments

I thought sets were used in reports as well.

dave
            David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Also, it does not appear that the child filter on a grandchild table does anything.
              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

Yes you are correct, a report can be built on a Set.

What filter is not working where? There is no filter on the tblwork table in the set construction.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

sorry, i put it in after i zipped that file. However, if you add a filter such as:

(DATE >= VAR->BEGDATE ) .OR. (DATE <= VAR->ENDDATE ) to the child filter in tblwork, it has no effect on the records printed on the report. Btw, the form which calls this report frmMainMenu, sets the global value of begdate and enddate by means of an xdialog.

dave
                  David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

I your filter on the report to between(Tblwork->Date,Var->begdate,Var->enddate) and it works just fine.

I have attached pdf of report for dates for February only. Is this what you wanted?
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

that's correct. it works when placed in the report filter. if you place it in the set definition for the grandchild link, it doesn't
                      David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

David,
                        if you place it in the set definition for the grandchild link, it doesn't
                        That's right, in the set filter the the record list is fixed, when you print the report you are selecting a range of records.

If you filter your grandchild records in the set for say January, come February, you would not see any records.
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

So, if I set the filter in the set definition to a global value and then change the global value, the records selecting by the set don't change?

I think of sets like a query. Maybe that's my problem.

dave
                          David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Hi David,

It seems that you can use a Global Variable in a set filter. I would think that the value in the variable would have to be set before it was used to filter any child/grandchild records.

eg. Setting the global variable value in the Autoexec.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

true, but once it's set, if you change the global variable, it appears that the records selected by the set doesn't change.

Why are you up so late? lol
                              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X