Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

updating master table - simple question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updating master table - simple question

I have a simple question that I've been wrestling with for a defined solution! I have gone through all my books and everywhere to find a simple answer, but I have had no luck. hopefully someone can shed the information I seem to be missing! ?

What I want to achieve is as follows.

I have a simple inventory math.

Table one includes:
    ID - description-total qty.

table two:
    id - description - qty received

table three:
    id - description - qty sent

What I want to achieve is auto generate or update the Total qty of table one automatically when either a qty is added in T2 or sent out in T3.

So in a nutshell I would
    1. open the table related 'form 2' -
    2. select the ID (associated to the table 1 id) add a received qty
    3. It would add the new entered qty from form2 to the to the total qty in table 1.

Please I know it's simple solution but I can NOT find it explained in this way anywhere.
    Last edited by Justin.p; 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: update question

Re: updating master table - simple question

There are a number of ways this could be implemented. You may receive several different suggestions.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to define a "post" field rule in both table 2 and table 3.

If this is unfamiliar ground dig out the User Guide in the Contents of the Help system and read up on it. Look for the help file topic: "Creating a Posting Field Rule"

Comment

hi Tom thanks for your quick response. I had found the subject on creating a post operation but the tutorials are not cut and dry for this situation, or maybe they are but I'
      I ran through a tutorial walk-through from the book A5 learning guide Level 2 from IBS but I'm just not getting the results!

here is a sample of where I'm stuck.
      On the stock in form I want to drop down and select the stock Id and show the description and also be able to select a client id for the New stock recieved.
      Then enter a received qty hit enter and it will update the Total Qty in the master stock table.

anyone help.?

I have not included a stock out for or table as Im presuming once I see the operation work for stock in all my other requirements will be a walk in the park...

Comment

Justin,

I made some changes in the stockin table, namely a lookup on Item_id, a lookup on item_client_id, and a posting rule for the item_qty_in field. I also changed the client_id field size to match that of the client table.

These changes provide the basic functionality you asked about. There are however many more ways to skin this proverbial 'cat'.

On the form I changed the item_id control to type_in because the dropdown is performed by the field rule. I also removed the script button as there is no need for the post operation.

TIP
        I noticed that you had a space in the form name. Although alpha lets you do this it is not a good idea. I would recomend not using spaces in any name anywhere in Alpha. It is just as easy to type an underscore as a space. In some places where Alpha's internal code interacts with forms the space gets converted to an underscore and then it no longer matches the actual name causing the particular procedure to fail.

Here is a link to some good naming practices.
        Tim Kiebert
        Eagle Creek Citrus
        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Justin,
          On the stock in form I want to drop down and select the stock Id and show the description and also be able to select a client id for the New stock recieved.
          Then enter a received qty hit enter and it will update the Total Qty in the master stock table.
          That is not the usual way to to that. I would suggest you have a good look at the sample Alpha Sports that comes with the program. In particular the field rules for Invoice Items. There you will see how the posting rule has been set up for Quantity.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Tim, Thanks very much for this... I was able to add a stock_out table and form and operation so I can now add or subtract from the master table. (after trying to replicate what you did for me.)

It's helped me see a few other operations I will need a bit more clearer...so thanks very much.

What other methods to skin the 'cat' are you referring to?
            I've only really just started to develope in A5. So the start up is always the most mind numbing time...So it's very appreciated to find help, as I have been here with the Alpha community.

Being more of a graphic designer/ web developer it was a eventuality to finally dig deeper into database development. (Though I am very familiar using mysql databases with joomla web development).

(IF any one needs a graphic designer or web developer I'm available for advice, help or service. )

Keith, Thanks for your direction...I was looking through alpha sports, though I was more than likely overwhelmed to actually look in the right place. thanks I will now look at the field rules.

Comment

One other possible solution would be to place your input information on a form where you could update it. The in the CanExit event, put your Posting rule. I've found it's better this way than to put the posting rule with the Field Rules of the dbf itself. It leads to better results and a cleaner dbf.

Charlie

Comment

Working...
              X