Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How does the Alpha Backup Folder work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the Alpha Backup Folder work

Can someone give me a brief explanation on how to re-sync the backup subdirectories in for my application.

Sometimes I have no choice. If I copy the database directory to a new computer and work on it there, everyone's changes are lost when I copy it back with the modifications. So I have to work on the database Forms and Reports live through a network drive while people are logged in and using the system. It all seems to go well, my changes don't take affect until I actually log out of my session, then when users log in again, they see the changes.
    Is this tabboo ?

I used to copy all the files including the subfolders to another computer and work on changes. Latley I've only grabbed the parent directory and its contents. The application continued to work fine and in the interest of saving space and time, I continue to do so. Now I'm concerned that I may have messed things up.

In a couple of sessions latley, I tried to make a change or add a new report, a message popped up telling me that Alpha could not find the report name in the backup sub-folder.

So from now on I'll include all the subfolders to the developers computer but want to make sure the backup folder is fixed. I think that the backup folder is out of sync because it contains some of my older named reports, so I would like to delete the contents of the subfolders and Alpha create a fresh set of subdirectories that contains all the latest files.

If I was to delete all the subdirectories of my application, is there a way to re-create and re-sync everything properly to all the subdirectories.

Re: How does the Alpha Backup Folder work

with the release of V10 there were a lot of demo movies made. One of them was on the topic of this backup process. if you got to http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Pre...uresVideos.htm

You will find a demo video ther - it might help
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bytes View Post
      Can someone give me a brief explanation on how to re-sync the backup subdirectories in for my application.

Sometimes I have no choice. If I copy the database directory to a new computer and work on it there, everyone's changes are lost when I copy it back with the modifications. So I have to work on the database Forms and Reports live through a network drive while people are logged in and using the system. It all seems to go well, my changes don't take affect until I actually log out of my session, then when users log in again, they see the changes.
      Is this tabboo ?

I used to copy all the files including the subfolders to another computer and work on changes. Latley I've only grabbed the parent directory and its contents. The application continued to work fine and in the interest of saving space and time, I continue to do so. Now I'm concerned that I may have messed things up.

In a couple of sessions latley, I tried to make a change or add a new report, a message popped up telling me that Alpha could not find the report name in the backup sub-folder.

So from now on I'll include all the subfolders to the developers computer but want to make sure the backup folder is fixed. I think that the backup folder is out of sync because it contains some of my older named reports, so I would like to delete the contents of the subfolders and Alpha create a fresh set of subdirectories that contains all the latest files.

If I was to delete all the subdirectories of my application, is there a way to re-create and re-sync everything properly to all the subdirectories.
      I have a situation where a client is in Chicago and I'm in Southern California. There is no "Development" version on the client's server. If I were required to make the changes using the scenario you've described, I'd have to transport the entire application folder backup and forth to affect changes.

Instead, I use the "Tools/Zip Database" feature. Once you're in the Zip dialog, you can use the Mark/Unmark files to select only application files. Also, you can use the "Additional Files" function to include graphics, icons or other files not addressed in the core function.

Use the Save and Load Settings functions to save your selection if you're likely to perform the same zip again. This is especially handy if you have a lot of "additional" files, because that process can be a bit tedious.

If properly selected, your zip file will contain your entire application, sans the data. In my case, that takes an application folder that contains around 400-450 mg and pares it down to around 8.

Now, simply unzip zip files into the target application directory (the one you're updating) and you're done. I highly recommend creating a backup version of the target directory before running the unzip.

As for your question about live updating being "taboo," I'm not sure how the Alphasoftware folks feel, but it is definitely not a "best practice" in terms of standard development methodology.

The mission criticality of the application and system complexity will determine how rigorous you should be, but at a minimum you should have a "Development" environment and a "Production" environment. Do your changes on the former and the latter is the system people use "live."

In my case, I run three systems; development, test, and production. I make my changes in development, then migrate them into "test", where users can certify the changes and ensure against regression (where changes you make work, but impact some other unintended area that worked before, but now doesn't - Google "user acceptance testing" and "regression testing" for more info). Searching the board for threads regarding patch updates gone wrong will provide some insight into the importance of this approach.

Only once the user certifies the validity of changes do I migrate them into production - and then only when they're off the system. This shouldn't be overly burdensome, though, because the entire process only takes a couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by sybs01 View Post

Instead, I use the "Tools/Zip Database" feature. Once you're in the Zip dialog, you can use the Mark/Unmark files to select only application files. Also, you can use the "Additional Files" function to include graphics, icons or other files not addressed in the core function.
        Is it included the content of record?
        I mean in my development system I have data only 20 records and I installed the desktop application at user PC for a week and user key in the data everday and uptil now he has 100 records. and if he requests me to modify the field rule of table and has more field to input of form. When I modify the application how can I install it at user PC without effect the previous data (20 records) and he can has and use the new modify form as per he request.

Thanks
        Peter-th

Comment

Peter, take a look at the help file topic "Alpha Five File Types". You'll see that specific parts of your database application are stored in different places. Understanding what is stored where is fundamental for anyone building databases for others, so time spent in this part of the help system will pay dividends for you.

Also a lot has been written here, and in other message board forums, about the subject of updating or maintaining an application that's already been released but needs to be extended or changed.

You're asking a good question, but it's been asked and answered many times before. A little digging will also pay dividends for you.

-- tom

Comment

Originally posted by peterth View Post
            Is it included the content of record?
            I mean in my development system I have data only 20 records and I installed the desktop application at user PC for a week and user key in the data everday and uptil now he has 100 records. and if he requests me to modify the field rule of table and has more field to input of form. When I modify the application how can I install it at user PC without effect the previous data (20 records) and he can has and use the new modify form as per he request.

Thanks
            Peter-th
            The Mark/Un-mark Files is the key. As Tom said, it's really a good idea to use the help system to identify which file types, as identified by there extensions, do what.

But in the interim, by using the Mark Un-Mark feature, you can segregate filed by:

- All files (Data, Applications, and Web Projects)

- Data Only

- Application files only

- Web Projects Only

Or any combination for the above.

I'm finding it hard to follow your post, but I think you're asking, if you modify database structure and/or field rules, what is the impact on updating?

That's a very good point, because if you modify the table structure by, let's say, adding a new field or two, is there a way to get that from the development application into the production application with "application only" updates.

I wouldn't think that would work - I believe you'd have to copy the entire app directory, modify it, then put it back.

Some of you may know more about this than I, so I defer to your superior understanding.

Comment

Thank you Tom,

I will seach more for this in the board

Thanks
              Peter

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your advise and more information for me

Peter

Comment

That's a very good point, because if you modify the table structure by, let's say, adding a new field or two, is there a way to get that from the development application into the production application with "application only" updates.

I wouldn't think that would work - I believe you'd have to copy the entire app directory, modify it, then put it back.

Some of you may know more about this than I, so I defer to your superior understanding.
                  It's very possible to update table structures without copying the actual data back and forth. I do it all the time. However, I never delete fields. It's possible to delete them but just not worth the extra effort required. Also, always add new fields at the END of the field list - anything else would be much more difficulterer.:D

See post #5 in this thread on the A5v9 board. You can also do a search on A5_Get_fieldnames to find even more threads on the subject. I'm pretty sure you can find multiple answers to this question on the message boards for every version of A5.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                    It's very possible to update table structures without copying the actual data back and forth. I do it all the time. However, I never delete fields. It's possible to delete them but just not worth the extra effort required. Also, always add new fields at the END of the field list - anything else would be much more difficulterer.:D

See post #5 in this thread on the A5v9 board. You can also do a search on A5_Get_fieldnames to find even more threads on the subject. I'm pretty sure you can find multiple answers to this question on the message boards for every version of A5.
                    Thanks Cal - Haven't had the occasion to do that in a remote setting, so this is good information - I'm all for avoiding anything "difficulterer!"

Comment

Sorry i haven't had a chance to reply and thank you all for that great information. It's great to know there is a solution to making changes without affecting data.

Man this applicaiton is awesome. I can't believe how easy it is to work with Alpha and how many GREAT features are built in. Anytime I think of something I want, there it is, already built for me. All I have to do is put the pieces together in the right order and I blow my customer away each and every time.

I have to be honest, this is addicting. If I start developing when I get home from the office at 7, I can't stop until 2-3am. For each new screen, report or form I make, I think of a hundred more functions I want it to do. Then I have to force myself off the computer so I can get sleep.

My client is amazed, all they have to do is open the app and the machine does all the thinking. Knowing the buisness inside out is a great contribution to making a good system, but I really need to hire programmers, can't keep going like this. Totally Burnt out

Comment

I have to be honest, this is addicting.
                        Tell me about it! :D
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bytes View Post
                          Sorry i haven't had a chance to reply and thank you all for that great information. It's great to know there is a solution to making changes without affecting data.

Man this applicaiton is awesome. I can't believe how easy it is to work with Alpha and how many GREAT features are built in. Anytime I think of something I want, there it is, already built for me. All I have to do is put the pieces together in the right order and I blow my customer away each and every time.

I have to be honest, this is addicting. If I start developing when I get home from the office at 7, I can't stop until 2-3am. For each new screen, report or form I make, I think of a hundred more functions I want it to do. Then I have to force myself off the computer so I can get sleep.

My client is amazed, all they have to do is open the app and the machine does all the thinking. Knowing the buisness inside out is a great contribution to making a good system, but I really need to hire programmers, can't keep going like this. Totally Burnt out
                          Ha ha - welcome to the world of development. Once you get that routine to do your bidding, particularly when you get a bit of the "wow" factor from the end-user, you're hooked.

Comment

I have a situation where a client is in Chicago and I'm in Southern California. There is no "Development" version on the client's server. If I were required to make the changes using the scenario you've described, I'd have to transport the entire application folder backup and forth to affect changes.

Use the Save and Load Settings functions to save your selection if you're likely to perform the same zip again. This is especially handy if you have a lot of "additional" files, because that process can be a bit tedious.

If properly selected, your zip file will contain your entire application, sans the data. In my case, that takes an application folder that contains around 400-450 mg and pares it down to around 8.

Now, simply unzip zip files into the target application directory (the one you're updating) and you're done. I highly recommend creating a backup version of the target directory before running the unzip.

As for your question about live updating being "taboo," I'm not sure how the Alphasoftware folks feel, but it is definitely not a "best practice" in terms of standard development methodology.

The mission criticality of the application and system complexity will determine how rigorous you should be, but at a minimum you should have a "Development" environment and a "Production" environment. Do your changes on the former and the latter is the system people use "live."

In my case, I run three systems; development, test, and production. I make my changes in development, then migrate them into "test", where users can certify the changes and ensure against regression (where changes you make work, but impact some other unintended area that worked before, but now doesn't - Google "user acceptance testing" and "regression testing" for more info). Searching the board for threads regarding patch updates gone wrong will provide some insight into the importance of this approach.

Only once the user certifies the validity of changes do I migrate them into production - and then only when they're off the system. This shouldn't be overly burdensome, though, because the entire process only takes a couple of minutes.
                            This did not work for me using V9. Absolutely none of my form or report changes ended up in the target application when I did this.
                            Regards,
                            Chet Sapino
                            President,
                            SAPINO Enterprises
                            6451 Pheasant Rd
                            East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sapino View Post
                              This did not work for me using V9. Absolutely none of my form or report changes ended up in the target application when I did this.
                              Then I think you missed something somewhere. I use Astrum rather than zip files but the result is the same - copy all the application files (sans data) to the production environment - and I've never had a problem. All form and report changes have always ended up in the target environment. (Just for anyone who isn't aware, the forms and reports are in the .DD* and .SE* files.)

Assuming that you are copying the .DD* and .SE* files, my first guess would be that your workstations are running with network optimization but the settings aren't making them update. Unfortunately, Alpha put some of the most critical items for network optimization on a tab called "Options" and I know for a fact that some people have ignored it because of the name. Here's a demo video I did for someone else awhile ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X