Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Numerous problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numerous problems

I have been having many issues with my database since upgrading from v4 to v10 as each new version came out.

So today I decided I would try building it from ground up using v10.

I have already run into some of my problems and I have only set up three test tables and a set. Can't be any simpler.
    I have a set "shop dwg set" based on two tables, "job info" and "shop dwg"
    I have ask variables for the "persons", the "job info" and "shop dwg set"

The problems are
    1. When I open the job info form, the entry that appears in the display replicates itself. I can not toggle back and forth between browse and form mode.
    2. When I open the persons form, a blank form comes up. I can toggle to the browse view for the filtered record. Occasionally an entry displays in the opened form. If it does, it will replicate itself.
    2. When I open the shop dwg form, things work as I expected.I can toggle back and forth between browse and form view.
    3. When I open the shop dwg set form I end up with a blank form. I can toggle to the browse view for the filtered records based on the ask variable but can not go back to the form view. Occasionally I have seen it open displaying a record.

Any help on solving this would be appreciated.

Larry

Re: Numerous problems

ground up? -

1. no spaces in object names

use build 2736 and see if there are the same problems..
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

2. don't use ask variables in the form filter expressions; in fact, I've found it problematic to use variables of any kind in form filter expressions.

Comment

Al, I went back to 2736 and tried the forms and no difference. Got rid of the spaces and no difference. Decided to do a new table with one file and 2 fields and this works as expected until I add the ask variable and then I am into the opening a blank form scenario and not being able to switch between browse and form mode.

With my rebuild, I was not intending to get rid of my spaces in the field names as I was hoping to reuse forms and reports so that my rebuild would only take one year instead of two.

Tom, you are right on the ask variable. I have been using it for many years and only noticed a problem in one of my tables when I upgraded to version 9. The form opened the table as expected however it created a duplicate. Now with v10, it just does not seem to want to work on the most basic of tables.

So what other way is there to open a table in order to get a filtered record? I imagine there is something in Alpha Sports so I will dig around.

Comment

So what other way is there to open a table in order to get a filtered record?
          There are lots of ways available to you. Your choice will depend upon what you need to do with the filtered form. Perhaps the method that's closest to the dynamic filter expression you were trying is to use

Code:
          Form.viewqueried()
          Read the helps on this topic and you'll see that it sets a "base query" that's equivalent to a filter expression embedded into the form layout itself.

If memory serves this is available in Action Scripting in the Form / Browse category, and the Open a form or browse action... if you tell the genie you want to open the form filtered to a specific record.

Comment

Working...
          X