Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Greyed out text before field entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leonw43
    replied
    Re: Greyed out text before field entry?

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
    Since this is a v10 question, the showing or hiding of the 'watermark' labels can be easily controlled with the dynamic properties. Set the 'visible' property (in the layout section) to dynamic and use the expresion:
    your_field_object_name.text = ""
    Thanks everyone for the great help, and thankyou Tim! Things started to look a bit complex for my liking as I have so many fields involved with my form, but since I'm using V10, I guess I'm saved!

Leon

Leave a comment:

• MikeC
    replied

Thanks Jeff for catching that issue.

Tim,
    I didn't mention those but should have---nice to have options ....and what I did should work back to probably v5 (created in v8 so know it works from then on) whereas the dynamic property method, using the interface now provided, would be limited to v10.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Kiebert
    replied

Since this is a v10 question, the showing or hiding of the 'watermark' labels can be easily controlled with the dynamic properties. Set the 'visible' property (in the layout section) to dynamic and use the expresion:
    your_field_object_name.text = ""

Leave a comment:

• jkletrovets
    replied

LATER: Found that for some reason, even though the hidden button is tabbed to and then redirects to the first name field, a new record is created....not supposed to do that!!!! Unless I missed something obvious ---got to get though due to time (almost 1:30 am here).....
    Mike,

It is because you have the button disabled. So, the tab never gets there per se to run your activate code. Easy to do at 1:30 am :).

FWIW...my method for this....while almost the same is I create a variable called vpreventloop and initialize it to "". Then I place the variable on the form with a transparent background and no border (makes it invisible). Different strokes for different folks.....just makes it easier IMO when I edit the form because you can see the field there in design mode and the field name makes it readily apparent what it is.

Regards,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• MikeC
    replied

I already stated how in post #6...the form's OnInit event....at least when the form is first opened. If it is happening while still on the form then you are missing something in the code--believe I stated where I put all the code but may have missed something.

If my sample works correctly and your attempt does not then make sure all bases are covered as is said in regards to code placement.

I have a more updated sample if you want that also has a "hidden" button with the last tab on it that has the OnArrive event activating the first tab so that when the actual last field is tabbed out of, a new record will not be created.

Also added bubblehelp so that once data already is in a field, you just hover the mouse and the bubblehelp states what the data is for (last name, first name, whatever).

LATER: Found that for some reason, even though the hidden button is tabbed to and then redirects to the first name field, a new record is created....not supposed to do that!!!! Unless I missed something obvious ---got to get though due to time (almost 1:30 am here).....
    Last edited by MikeC; 04-21-2010, 02:24 AM. Reason: problem---

Leave a comment:

• Leonw43
    replied

I have noticed a problem however, when you've entered data into a record, and you want to go back to that record to view the data, the field labels still show, even when there's already data entered in!
    Besides that it's worked perfectly. Any ideas on how to get these labels to go away if there's something already in the field?

Thanks!

Leon

Leave a comment:

• Leonw43
    replied

Thanks! Sorry for taking a while to respond, I'll try what you did Mike, looks simple enough :)

Cheers,

Leon

Leave a comment:

• jkletrovets
    replied

Agreed.....Very clever Mike. Well Done!

Regards,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• MikeC
    replied

Thanks Jim,
    If used, the OnInit form event should also have all the code for each field placed as well otherwise upon initial loading both label and field values will show at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Coltz
    replied

Nicely done Mike!

Leave a comment:

• MikeC
    replied

Well,

I had to try it.....OnChange events to set the IsVisible Label properties. Always On Top for the labels. Label Order to Front/Fields to Back.

Is this what you want? If so, pretty simple after all.

Leave a comment:

• jkletrovets
    replied

I am with Keith.....I don't know how you could do it on the desktop side...but the web side offers this. It is called watermark fields.

See video 20 at the link below.

http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

Since you can somewhat combine the web side and the desktop using Supercontrols....maybe.....just maybe there would be some trickery that could be done to get it done. I don't think it would be "easy" however.

Regards,

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Keith Hubert
    replied

Hi Leon,

I dont think what you are asking is possible.

Just as a matter of interest, how many fields do you have on the form?

Also, do they all need to be displayed at the same time? Perhaps you could have a Tab object on your form?

Leave a comment:

• Leonw43
    started a topic Greyed out text before field entry?

Greyed out text before field entry?

Hi, I've made the decision that I want to rid of the exterior field labels on a certain section of my form, due to the lack of space available. I remember being able to use an integrated label in a simple web application I made, however I can't find anything similar in the desktop version. I'm still fairly new to Alpha Five so there's probabaly various places I haven't checked.

Basically, I want to have a field label within a field, that disappears when the field is clicked. Is there any simple way to achieve this for my desktop app?

Thanks!

Leon
Working...
X