Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5V8 to A5V10 report problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5V8 to A5V10 report problem

I have a customer whose system has been running A5V8 ever since it came out with no problems. Recently her CPU "crashed", as she put it, and she was advised by her local computer people to replace her system. Her new system has Win7 and she bought A5V10 because A5V8 would not run on Win7. They loaded her data on the new CPU and the database came up as expected.

All her data entry went just fine. BUT when she went to run her billing report the calculated fields for "amount paid" and "balance due" printed only the calculated field names not the amounts. So I got this frantic call that she needed to have this fixed so she could get her billing out.

On her old CPU we had PC Anywhere that allowed me to connect from NC to her in CT and I could fix her problem. However PCA will not run in Win7 so I had her backup her data and overnight it to me so I could fix the problem using current data and program files.

I verified the calculated fields were in fact working in V10 when I edited the report. But when I ran the report and previewed it, the calculated field names printed not the amounts. So I removed the calc fields, saved the report, edited in the new calc fields and saved the new report. Running and previewing showed the same thing, no amount only field names.

I happened to choose, after running and editing the report MANY times, going to page 2 of the previewed report and BEHOLD there were the amounts!!! not the field names. And when i went back to page one AMOUNTs were now there also. I printed the report and the amounts were indeed there. I closed the report and exited Alpha. Opened the data again and reran the report resulting in the original problem again. But the advance to page 2 and back to page 1 got the amounts to now print.

I called the customer and walked her thru how to get the amounts to show on her reports as a temporary fix but I need a solution to this crazy problem. One thing I have not tried yet is creating a new report from scratch under V10. That will be my next step if there is nothing else to do.

TIA to you all

Don

Re: A5V8 to A5V10 report problem

Sounds to me like you should submit a bug report.

You also might want to consider LogMeIn or the newer Migogo. I understand that there is also a new VNC application (Ultra VNC?) that works well but I don't really have any experience with it since most of my customers already have LogMeIn installed.

Personally, I never want to deal with anything like PCAnywhere again.

I started using LogMeIn a few years ago because of the difficulty of explaining over the phone how to set up the various remote access methods available prior to that time. To me, installation became a critical issue. I got tired of trying to explain to remote customers how to set up "pass through" on their routers, etc. It often took hours to set up something that would have taken minutes for someone who knew what he was doing.

All I have to tell them about setting up LogMeIn is to go to www.LogMeIn.com and install it. Once they are done they give me the e-mail address and passwords and we're ready to go. Since I'm a one-man business, most of my customers don't have a problem with that. Those that do purchased a full version and then invite me in when they have a problem. (The 30 day trial is the Pro version and allows them to invite me in without giving me the e-mail address and passwords. Full price is $70/yr with subscription discounts, etc. that often make it half price or better.)

My comments on LogMeIn:

One important thing to note about LogMeIn is that they have a FREE VERSION - not just a "Free Trial". This is the primary reason I chose this over GoToMyPC at the time. The free trial will prompt you to get the full version after 30 days but, if you scroll down and look carefully, there is also an option that says something like, "No thanks. I'll just use the free version." Of course, the free version has some limitations. File transfers is one limitation but I just use e-mail or upload to my website if I need to transfer files.

WHEN USING THE FREE VERSION, your customer will have to give you their passwords to get into their computer. (One password to access the LogMeIn account and another to access the specific computer. Obviously this means that multiple computers can be added to one account.)

As noted above, if they purchase a full version (or during the 30 day trial) there is no need for them to give you the e-mail and password info.

My experience with LogMeIn has been excellent.

My comments on Mikogo:

This is completely free and even more user friendly than LogMeIn because the remote user doesn't really have to install anything.

I've only used it twice and both times there was an annoying delay when running the other computer. The delay may have been because the other computer, in both cases, was really slow to begin with.

So, I like Mikogo but I'm holding off on any major recommendation until I confirm the speed. If a fast computer has the same delay as the first two I tried, I won't be using it in the future.

Comment

once again, thanks to the Alpha tech support group, this problem has been solved.

My thanks to Selwyn and his fine people for their tireless pursuit of a great piece of software.

Don

Comment

and the reader's digest version of the solution is?
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

opps sorry Selwyn sent me a patch to install that will be in the next update.

Comment

Originally posted by rigore View Post
            opps sorry Selwyn sent me a patch to install that will be in the next update.
            Yes I figured that.. What does the bug fix? Obviously the calc fields didn't eval. but why..??
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

have no idea why . . . you will have to ask Selwyn that question

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                Sounds to me like you should submit a bug report.

You also might want to consider LogMeIn or the newer Migogo. I understand that there is also a new VNC application (Ultra VNC?) that works well but I don't really have any experience with it since most of my customers already have LogMeIn installed.

Personally, I never want to deal with anything like PCAnywhere again.

I started using LogMeIn a few years ago because of the difficulty of explaining over the phone how to set up the various remote access methods available prior to that time. To me, installation became a critical issue. I got tired of trying to explain to remote customers how to set up "pass through" on their routers, etc. It often took hours to set up something that would have taken minutes for someone who knew what he was doing.

All I have to tell them about setting up LogMeIn is to go to www.LogMeIn.com and install it. Once they are done they give me the e-mail address and passwords and we're ready to go. Since I'm a one-man business, most of my customers don't have a problem with that. Those that do purchased a full version and then invite me in when they have a problem. (The 30 day trial is the Pro version and allows them to invite me in without giving me the e-mail address and passwords. Full price is $70/yr with subscription discounts, etc. that often make it half price or better.)

My comments on LogMeIn:

One important thing to note about LogMeIn is that they have a FREE VERSION - not just a "Free Trial". This is the primary reason I chose this over GoToMyPC at the time. The free trial will prompt you to get the full version after 30 days but, if you scroll down and look carefully, there is also an option that says something like, "No thanks. I'll just use the free version." Of course, the free version has some limitations. File transfers is one limitation but I just use e-mail or upload to my website if I need to transfer files.

WHEN USING THE FREE VERSION, your customer will have to give you their passwords to get into their computer. (One password to access the LogMeIn account and another to access the specific computer. Obviously this means that multiple computers can be added to one account.)

As noted above, if they purchase a full version (or during the 30 day trial) there is no need for them to give you the e-mail and password info.

My experience with LogMeIn has been excellent.

My comments on Mikogo:

This is completely free and even more user friendly than LogMeIn because the remote user doesn't really have to install anything.

I've only used it twice and both times there was an annoying delay when running the other computer. The delay may have been because the other computer, in both cases, was really slow to begin with.

So, I like Mikogo but I'm holding off on any major recommendation until I confirm the speed. If a fast computer has the same delay as the first two I tried, I won't be using it in the future.
                Cal,

Another option is 'Teamviewer', we have used this for several years now, we purchased the full paid for version and this then allows us to ship our own customised desktop support.exe icon with each application. All the customer has to do is click and tell us the ID and Password. I think we paid about $300 for the full version that also includes file transfers up or down. The only time the speed is not acceptable is when the client is connected to the net using a dongle that has a weak signal.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                X