Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grid button report not printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid button report not printing

I am having problems getting a report to print from a grid button. I must be missing something. Please see attached and let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Re: Grid button report not printing

Hi Mike,

How's things?

First as this is a web question it would best be a asked in the Server section of this forum.

Second, when I viewed the grid through Live Preview and then selected Launch page in Browser (bottom left corner of viewer) the Page did get printed to screen.

So all is well and your grid does work.

I have made a small change to your grid buttons to filter the report on the row the button is clicked on. See attached.
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 04-19-2010, 05:51 AM.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith

Thanks very much for looking at this. I put it here because it's a desktop application grid problem.

I have tried your fix but only get the attached error message. Whether or not I answer Yes or No to the error message on pressing the button I get a blank window - no report appears in it.

I am using version 2659_3515 with Vista but have tried with the latest 2814_3519 version with Win7 on another computer without success. The grids in desktops apps often cause problems which sometimes go away when they are replaced. This one doesn't go away!

Comment

Hi Mike,

As there was no form I assumed it was a WAS.

Which also meant I could not test your grid on a form.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

MIke, I took a look. There are no forms, browses, or layouts in the database. Looks like a web app to me. If you're using the application server for an "intranet" your questions will get better exposure if you post to the application server forum, rather than to the "desktop" forum.

Keith, me, too.

Comment

Hi Keith and Tom

Sorry about the confusion. I have been testing the print button from the Web Projects/grid edit/Working Preview sequence without opening the Application Server at all.

I have not called up the grid from a form as I assumed the working preview would load the report. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong so I'll try it from a form later.

Thank you both for your comments.

Mike

Comment

Keith has spent time with me checking this out and Selwyn has also been very helpful in explaining the following.

There is no bug. It is simply not possible to use javascript buttons on grids for desktop applications due to the limitations explained in the link on the Working Preview window.

A button used to show a report layout only works if the Application Server is opened rather than Working Preview used in desktop apps.

Comment

The "Working Preview" is an xDialog box with an activeX object that can interact with Internet Explorer.

There are a couple of options but what works for me so far is to make my own xDialog that has the grid but also includes a print button. Therefore I can do a report.preview() using xBasic like I would a regular page.

It can be a little challenging when you first make an xDialog then it becomes easier.

Comment

Hi Jay,
                  make my own xDialog that has the grid but also includes a print button
                  Could you please show the code that you created to do this.

TIA.
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

1st method to print:
                    Here is a simple sample that doesn't have a print button but has a close button. You can easily add a print button if you look at how the close button works. The attached code is what I have on the onPush of a button on a menu.
                    Note: the code looks a little messy but its 98% Alpha generated.
                    Another Note: The code
                    Code:
                    title_var_name = "GridComponentInXdialog"+time("0h0ms3")
                    is very important or else it will crash if you try to open 2 xDialogs at once. Using this method they will have a unique name and not crash.

2nd Method to print:
                    Also the "Print" button in the screenshot is another method you can use to print the screen. Since this is really a webpage running inside Internet Explorer, you can call the javascript print command and have the user print the page just like they would print any webpage.

I just put this in the free form area above the grid.
                    HTML Code:
                    <button onclick="javascript:window.print()" class="GlassBlueButton" style="CURSOR: pointer" id="Print_Button">Print Page</button>
                    Last edited by jdrake; 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM. Reason: Add Notes

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks for you idea. What Mike was after was to print a report from the row button in the grid. See thumbnail.

Can you make the xdialog work this way?
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi Jay

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your kind input.

I may be wrong but I don't think I can use HTML code in the freeform area to work in a desktop app. I tried copying your code in and when I ran the working preview it simply showed the code as text above the grid.

It would be great if there is a way of producing a button in that way since sometimes I would like to preview a different report from a grid button, not just one which reports the grid filter records only.

Thanks. Mike

Comment

You need to put the html under "source" in the freeform and not under WYSIWYG.

Also, this will only print what is on your screen already, it won't let you do a separate report.

Comment

Yes it works perfectly when I put it in the Source!

Thanks very much for your help Jay. I think I can now adapt your code to what I want.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X