Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The problem when update new program to end user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem when update new program to end user

Hi All,

I have problem when update application to end user.
    I have 2 cases and let someone confirm me what I should do it.
    (after I do it mysolf and usually lost data)

1. I have application version1.1 with data 10 records and install to end user 's PC for a week. and uptil now he has data 200 records.
    Later he requests me more feature. I develop the application version1.2 and
    want to install the program in his PC. What I should do it?
    1.1 First I copy all his directory to safe place.
    1.2 If I copy all my folder to his directory, finally he lost data and it will be 10 records same as my original.
    1.3 I try to copy all my folder to his directory except .dbf,.cdx,.fpt
    I found his data is 200 records but program cannot run correctly same as my new version 1.2
    What I should do in cause I want to upgrade the program with new version only (it has new forms, more field and field rule of old table)

2. In case I have more new reports to end user. what file I should copy to his directory?

I try to find on board but confuse it?
    for above my 2 cases what files I should copy and except?

Thanks
    Peter-th

Re: The problem when update new program to end user

If you added new filed to the table structure:
    copy his data to a safe place.
    copy your new application

go to control panel
    click on the table tab
    right click on the table that you need his data in (the one that has 10 records) go to utilities and empty and pack table.
    go to operation tab and create a new append operation.
    master table will be the new blank table.
    you then select the uses data that was saved to a safe place and select the table that you need.
    all of the fields should populate.save and run.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

if you did not add any field to the table structure.
      Then just copy the new DDD.DDM.DDX files.

Comment

Thank you Charlie, I will try it

Comment

Originally posted by crimmelcp View Post
          if you did not add any field to the table structure.
          Then just copy the new DDD.DDM.DDX files.
          How about if I did not add any field to the table structure table but change calculate field rule (field rule of table)

and how about if I did not add any field to the table structure table but change calculate on old form?

Thans
          Peter-th

Comment

1. How about if I did not add any field to the table structure table but change calculate field rule (field rule of table)
            According to info below the DDD files contain field rules

2. how about if I did not add any field to the table structure table but change calculate on old form?

The DDM contains layouts and forms

I always copy the DDD,DDM and DDX as a group, But I dont think that you have to.

Database (Library)
            .ADB
            Contains the filenames of all tables and sets that are members of the database and the names of all libraries that have been attached to the database.

.ALB
            The data dictionary for an .ADB file. Contains settings, pointers to all scripts, user defined functions, menus, toolbars, bitmaps, and import definitions that have been defined for the database.
            Storing Scripts in a Library, Attaching a Library to the Current Database

.ASI
            This file stores web application variables.

.ALM
            Stores all scripts, user defined functions, menus, toolbars, bitmaps, and import definitions used by more than one table.

.ALX
            Alpha Five uses the .ALX file to find a specific script, function, operation, setting, etc. that is stored in the data dictionary.

.ASX
            A temporary file containing the indexing information generated by a query against a set. These files may be deleted.

.ADBLOCK
            A temporary file used to prevent more than one user from refreshing a shadow database at one time.
            Cannot Refresh Database Problem

Table
            .DBF
            Contains the table's data, one or more records, each containing one or more fields, and the definition of the table's structure. System toolbars are stored in a_toolbars_customized.DBF and system menus are stored in a_menus_system.DBF.
            Table Functions and Methods, Record Functions, Field Functions and Methods

.CDX
            Contains the table index(es). This file is only present if you define index field(s). Alpha Five uses indexes to quickly find records.
            Index Functions and Methods

.FPT
            Contains memo fields, which are text fields of arbitrary length. This file is only present if you define memo field(s).

Data Dictionary
            .DDD
            The table's data dictionary, which contains lists of additional table objects such as Layouts (forms, browses, etc.), report designs, saved operations, field rules, and field names longer than 10 characters.
            Dictionary Methods, Reading From and Writing To the Data Dictionary

.DDM
            Stores additional table objects such as Layouts (forms, browses, etc.), report designs, and saved operations in memo format.

.DDX
            Contains the dictionary's index(es). Alpha Five uses the .ddx to find a specific form name or field rule or whatever is needed.

Set
            .SET
            The set's data dictionary, which contains lists of additional set objects such as Layouts (forms, browses, etc.), report designs, saved and operations.
            Set Functions and Methods

.SEM
            Stores additional set objects such as Layouts (forms, browses, etc.), report designs, and saved operations in memo format.

.SEX
            Contains the set's index(es), used to find set components.

Web Publishing
            .A5W
            An Alpha Five HTML page that may also contain Xbasic and Javascript code and web components. The Application Server interprets the Xbasic and web components into HTML or Javascript and delivers the resulting page to a web browser.
            Web Publishing Reference

.A5WCMP
            A file that contains the definition of an Alpha Five web component. A5W pages may contain one or more web components.

.WCP_Settings
            Stores Web Project settings specific to a profile.

.WebPublishHistory
            Stores publishing history information and is used to determine what needs to be published.

Other
            .MPX
            A temporary file containing the indexing information generated by a query against a table. These files may be deleted. Alpha Five should delete them when exiting.

$$...

.AEX
            Compiled library script files.

.CHM
            Compiled Windows help files.

.HLP
            Standard Windows help files.

.LOG
            Error and transaction logging files.

.BML
            .BMT
            .BMX
            Image library files.

.EXE
            .DLL
            .DRV
            Alpha Five program files.

.MUF
            Alpha Five creates temporary .MUF files to control the number of people who can concurrently open a database. If a user has a 3 user a5 license, then: when person 1 opens the database, the .MUF file with the same name as the .ADB file is created and a count of 1 is recorded in the .MUF file. When person 2 opens, the count in the .MUF file is increased to 2. When person 3 opens, the count in the .MUF file is increased to 3. When person 4 tries to open the count in the .MUF file would exceed the number of licenses, so person 4 gets an error message. When person 3 closes, the count in the .MUF file is reduced to 2 and person 4 could open. When all users close the count in the MUF file is 0 and the .MUF file is deleted by Alpha Five. If a crash occurs the .MUF file may be left on disk, preventing other users from accessing the application. In this case all users should exit Alpha Five and the MUF should be manually deleted.

.RMUF
            The Alpha Five Runtime keeps track of the number of simultaneous users using a file with a .RMUF extension, which has the same functionality as a .MUF file.

Comment

Thank you for your more details how to do when upgrade the program to end user.

Thanks
              Peter-th

Comment

Originally posted by crimmelcp View Post

I always copy the DDD,DDM and DDX as a group, But I don't think that you have to.
                There is no practical advantage not to keep these files together and only disadvantages to separating them.

Same thing with SET,SEM, and SEX as well as DBF and it's optional FPT (Present only when a memo field(s) exist in a table.

Internal pointers in the headers of the files may be lost if the files are not kept together...
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post

Same thing with SET,SEM, and SEX as well as DBF and it's optional FPT (Present only when a memo field(s) exist in a table.
                  But, remember Peter-th, FPT is a data file. If you copy that over your user's files, the user will lose data and end up with a messed up memo field(s).
                  Last edited by Al Buchholz; 04-29-2013, 09:31 AM. Reason: corrected abbreviation.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

So is there any easy way (utility) to get this done?
                    I also get client's (runtime alpha) modification request on forms and reports. I do the modification in the office but copy them to client's machine is a headache.

please advise

thanks
                    Renny

Comment

There is now an option to Send Layout and Import Sent Layout.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Renny,

As Stan has advised:
                        There is now an option to Send Layout and Import Sent Layout.
                        Have a look in Code Archive for Import and Export. There is code there that will also handle Operations.
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

If I have modified multiple forms and reports in a project, is there a way to compile all of them and send a single file to the user pc without affecting their existing data? (like an exe/dll file in VB)

Comment

No.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Within alpha, stan is correct. You could use an installer from the outside that will compile all the files necessary(you have to know which ones) and make an exe, that the user runs on his machine. In fact, you can use the whole folder full of files and just mark the ones you do not want to overwrite on the install.

My favorite is to have the installer copy the whole folder to a safe place, send empty tables and append all the records back into the new tables after they are installed. This uses a bootstrap adb. This can also be found in the code archive.

What ever you do, be sure to test it thoroughly on one of your own computers first so as not to ever lose a clients data. That would be horrible.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X