Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need a Little "Table Set" Link Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Little "Table Set" Link Help!

I have 4 tables that I use in the set. The Primary is the Year, Month, Month Description table. The fields are:
    1) mst_yr c 4
    2) mst_mth c 2
    3) mst_desc c 10

The 2nd table is a Category table which fields are:
    1)int_mth c 2
    2) int_catg c 40

The 3rd table is a Sub-category table which fields are:
    1) int_2_mth c 2
    2) int_catg c 40
    3) int_2_catg c 40

My last table is the transaction table which fields are:
    1) det_mth c 2
    2) int_catg c 40
    3) int_2_catg c 40
    4) det_desc x 40
    5) det_date Date
    6) det_paid _to c 40
    7) det_paid_amt n 10 2

My set structure now is:
    Primary table is: mst_tbl
    Parent Key is mst_mth 1 to many linked to
    Child table which is: int_tbl
    Child Key is int_mth 1 to many

The next link is to my Sub_catg Table:
    Parent Table is int_tbl
    Parent Key is int_mth 1 to many
    Child Table is int_2_tbl
    Child Key is int_2_mth 1 to many

The final link is to my Detail Table:
    Parent Table is int_2_tbl Detail table is det_tbl
    Parent Key is is linked to multiple fields:
    Parent Table--Child Table
    int_2_mth = det_mth
    int_2_catg = int_2_catg
    int_catg int_catg

See my attached example:
    When I click on 2010 01 and select Income from the Category Browse, I expect to see all Sub-Category for the month of January in the 2nd browse window named Sub_category.

When I click on a Sub_Category entry in the browse Window such as Marion Security I expect to see all entries for Marion Security for the month of January in the 4th Browse window which are the details. If I click on Pensions from the Sub_Category window, I should see all January details for Pensions. This seems to me working.

When I click on Entertainment in the Category Window, I should see Net Flix and Eat Out in the Sub_Category window however I do not. The Sub_Category's for Income and it's Details remain.

Can someone define the correct links for me. I've spent a lot of time and have a mental block on this issue. I had no problem linking 3 tables however when I added the 3th table, this problem occurred.

Thanks,
    Rudy

Re: Need a Little "Table Set" Link Help!

Hi Rudy,
    I had no problem linking 3 tables however when I added the 3th table, this problem occurred.
    Which would seem to suggest that you have not linked to the correct field.

When you give focus to any row in the second browse, does the third browse filter correctly?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

The last link is multiple - so I presume you display three seperate links in your set structure? Based on your description that would be 6 tables in the set (two are alias to the details). I think you will need a serperate browse for each link, Can you send a screen shot of the set structure
      -----------------------------------------------
      Regards
      Mark Pearson
      [email protected]
      Youtube channel
      Website

Comment

Hi Keith and Clunes,

Decided to attach the app. It's zipped. Create a directory named c:\BudVsAct, dump the file in there and click on it to un-zip. Then run the app.

The tables I tested with are:
        mst_tbl
        int_tbl
        int_2_tbl
        det_tbl

The test set is mst_tbl_set_3 and the form is det_form_3. Disregard the others.

This is the 1st stage of the app so the form is not complete nor any reports or other tables to be used as look-ups. I'm just trying to get the links correct first.

Thanks,
        Rudy

Comment

Rudy,

I tried looking at this but I found your links to be a bit confusing. I also feel that you will have big problems as you go along. The strengths with relationships is to reduce data input so I tried to rationalize your data base. I created a Unique ID for each table and set to auto increment. I then linked each table to these. i believe you are trying to create:
          1. Master table based on year
          2. category table
          3. Supplier or trader table
          4. Transaction table

Attached is your db with my mods. Note the extra fields and how the are joined in a new set. View the demo form to see the results

The key principal to the above is yo create on one record for the month, based on the year. You create a category only once no matter what year you are in, so you should look at a drop down selection based on previous values. I did that for you to see that as well.

Let me know if that all makes sense to you
          Regards
          Mark Pearson
          [email protected]
          Youtube channel
          Website

Comment

Nice job Mark.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thank you so much Mark. Very clean. Mine was confusing and the more I thought about it, the more confused I became. I will study your links to better understand what you have done.

The next step for me will be to add a Budget Amount to each Category and then roll up all sub-category's within the Category and show an Over/Under on the form. For example, When I click on the Income entry for Jan 2010, all transactions for Marion Security, Pensions and Soc Sec will be summed together, shown on the form and compared to the Budget $$ in Income to show a Variance.

Thanks again for the time that you spent to set me straight.

Rudy

Comment

No problems. I see it as a bit of payback to all the people on this forum that helped and continue to help me.

I would also look at need for tables and then the type of forms versus reports etc. I think you are trying to achieve something on one view where either a report or query on a form might be better. In your case I might consider getting rid of the master table as it is only date based by adding a date field to the detail table. Base the form adding to the detail records and as you do select a category and sub category to keep it in check. Have the category and subcategories based on lookups where you can add if it one not exist. Then build a few reports - One by date grouped on year, month, category etc

This may help with a much more fluent user input and managment. It really boils down to what you want to achieve by the workflow
                Regards
                Mark Pearson
                [email protected]
                Youtube channel
                Website

Comment

Good morning Mark. I tried entering input to the newly created set and I beleive there are problems with it.

I created a new entry in the Category browse for Jan , 2010 and when I clicked on the Save Record Button, the Sub-Categories from the 1st Entry "Income" were assigned to the newly created Category. When I saved the newly created category, the sub-category window should have been empty allowing me to add new sub-categories to it. That was not the case.

I tried deleting the 3 sub-categories from the sub-category table and it wiped out the Income sub-categories.

Comment

I just repeated what you did and did not experience the same problem. Were you on the demo form I made? Also what V10 build are you using? To check which build selet Help - About Alpha 5
                    Regards
                    Mark Pearson
                    [email protected]
                    Youtube channel
                    Website

Comment

Working...
                    X