Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Downloading PDF from a5w page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading PDF from a5w page

I have pdf files uploading successfully to a directory at c:\a5v10\cvpdf ...However, I can't seem to access them from an a5w page once they are in place. Below is the code I attempted using to access them. When you click on the 'link' Firefox says it doesn't know how to open the address because the protocol isn't associated with any program??? IE brings up a Dial-up Connection prompting one to select which service to connect with ATT.
    If anyone can decipher this question and then lead me in the right direction I'd sure be thankful for the help...
    <tr><td>
    <center><a href="c:\a5v10\cvpdf\p000002.pdf" target=_self>(Download PDF) </a></center>
    </td></tr>
    [email protected]
    Los Angeles, CA
    cell/home 323-663-4735

Re: Downloading PDF from a5w page

Backslashes in filenames are forward slashes in web browsers. Should help some...

Comment

did you mean????
      <center><a href="c:/a5v10/cvpdf/p000002.pdf" target=_self>(Download PDF) </a></center> if so I'm getting the same error messages...if that's not what you meant could you draw this newbie a picture ... thanks
      [email protected]
      Los Angeles, CA
      cell/home 323-663-4735

Comment

Sorry, I guess that wasn't clear. And I was a newbie not too long ago, but have gotten lots of answers from the forum.

Is c:\a5v10 your Application Root? If so, the address would be:

"http://[site]/cvpdf/p000002.pdf" where [site] is localhost if testing or your domain name for anyone trying to get at it via the web.

Comment

thanks for the clarification...However, I must be still missing something...
          I've tried several iterations, one set of results just take me back to the originating Tabbed UI page, the other set give me the 404 Not Found error... image on left shows what's is seen on the page itself... (I'd love to see an example where an Alpha 5 Web Server application allows Pdf downloads.. (with some help we've got the upload thing doing.. thought that was the hard part )
          [email protected]
          Los Angeles, CA
          cell/home 323-663-4735

Comment

Through thinking about my system in context of our dialogue, I just realized that it's possible that you don't have PDFs allowed in your system. Go to Web Security > Page Security > File Types Always Allowed and make sure PDFs are listed and have the right permissions. If they're not, you can add them and set the global permission.

Past that, I'm sorry, but I think you've exhausted my level of knowledge. Any "filename" that I haven't applied permissions to in my application's webroot can be accessed using the forward slashes noted below. I can just type into a browser bar http://[mydomain.com]/[filename] and it shows up.

Hope you get it figured out.

Comment

It sounds to me like you have placed your PDF files outside of the Web root. You need to publish them to be under the Web root, and then reference them as a URL rather than as a file.

E.g., if you have a Web root at c:\A5Root, a URL of "/pdf/mypdf.pdf" will resolve to c:\A5Root\pdf\mypdf.pdf. If your PDF is at c:\pdf\mypdf.pdf, the Web server cannot reference it, since going outside the root is forbidden for security reasons.

Got it?

Comment

Thank you for all your help, I checked and pdf's are in the accepted list with global permissions. It's probably something even simpler, however, it is still escaping me at this time.

I'm testing the uploaded pdf in a grid where the path to the pdf is set as a value in a field called uploadpdf. The control type is "LINK" however I noticed I have not set a "display format"....??? While I'm at it..here are the other settings I'm now using
                Display format = (blank)
                Display what in link? = Value in field
                Link address type = Field value is the link address
                Target frame window or DIV = New Window
                [email protected]
                Los Angeles, CA
                cell/home 323-663-4735

Comment

I made another related discovery today at http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=85373. Don't know if it will help or not.

Comment

Thought I'd better clean up the mess I started here... all along my problem was the directory I've been uploading the pdf's was outside instead of under the A5Webroot..
                    [email protected]
                    Los Angeles, CA
                    cell/home 323-663-4735

Comment

Working...
                    X