Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Question on filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on filters

I have made the set for the 2 tables and created the report but how do I make it ask for info in a certain field and then only bring up those files that match. Example On my work orders they need to come up by the month due so I want it to ask me which month and then only pull those months. In access (which is what we are using now but will be changing over to Alpha 5 if I can show it will do the hard stuff) in the code I have cri = "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[MONth] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[ANNUAL] "
    cri = cri & "Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[TWICE] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[three] Or "
    cri = cri & "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[quarterly] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[six] Or "
    cri = cri & "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[monthly] "
    stDocName = "CUSTOMERS DUE REPORT"
    Which tells it what field to compare then on the query to pull the data I have the following formula:[Enter Month in Number ie ##] In Alpha I got the report but I don't know how to get it to quesry for month due.

Re: Question on filters

Hi Ramona,

Welcome to Alpha.

There are several ways to do this and all very easy to do this in Alpha. I suggest you look at Dialog boxes in Action Scripting and also Ask variables.

Learn and understand how the function CMONTH() works.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

It might help someone help you, given that this is an Alpha message board, if you explain

cri = "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[MONth] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[ANNUAL] "
      cri = cri & "Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[TWICE] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[three] Or "
      cri = cri & "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[quarterly] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[six] Or "
      cri = cri & "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[monthly] "
      what is the significance of(what is represented by)

[fe] is this a variable? a value?
      [SERVICE SCHEDULE] is this the name of a table?
      .[MONth] is this a field name?
      what purpose do brackets [] fill?

In translating your sample you can replace & with +
      you can replace OR with .OR.

cri = "[fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[MONth] Or [fe] = [SERVICE SCHEDULE].[ANNUAL] "
      If the above guesses are correct in Alpha you would say

"month = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "+quote(var->fe)

to test a field value in the month/annual field in the current table or parent table of a set.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
        It might help someone help you, given that this is an Alpha message board, if you explain

to test a field value in the month/annual field in the current table or parent table of a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post

The is the way the code is written in Access which is what I am trying to get Alpha to do. We need to change to Alpha. So I am trying to make the work orders as a form and get it to pull them up by the field (month due) In access we had to first tie the customer table to the service schedule table and then create a query that would ask us for the month due to open the report. But I think I understand but I want to be sure. Are you saying I first have to make a set where the service schedule it parent and the customer table child with the above code so it will query for that field?

Comment

Based on what I believe you were telling me I made this expression and added it to the set in the link box

''month = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. twice = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. three = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. quarterly = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. six = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. monthly = "+quote(var->fe)

But it tells me that "Define link line 187 decompose link expression. Extra characters at the end of the expression.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

oops..read incorrectly....

later edit: try s_quote() instead of quote() as it was designed specifically for quoting variables....
              Mike

Comment

This is the expression I made based on what you said. I tried to create a set with the customer table as parent and service schedule a child with the following expression:

''month = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. twice = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. three = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. quarterly = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. six = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. monthly = "s_quote(var->fe)

When I do that I get the following error:
                Script UI_DLG_BOX: Define Link Line:187 Decompose_Link_Expression(VL) Extra Characters at end of Expression.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Also for the gentleman that said I should learn CMonth() I can't find anything on that to look at.

Thank you all for the help
                Last edited by lonestarfire; 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM. Reason: When I post it puts a green smiley face on (:Define)

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarfire View Post
                  Also for the gentleman that said I should learn CMonth() I can't find anything on that to look at.
                  A search of the wiki found this....
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Code:
                    ''month = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "s_quote(var->fe)+"  .or. twice = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. three = "s_quote(var->fe)+"  .or. quarterly = "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. six =  "s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. monthly = "s_quote(var->fe)
                    would work better with all the plus signs added....

Code:
                    ''month = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+"  .or. twice = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. three = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+"  .or. quarterly = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. six =  "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)+" .or. monthly = "[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]+[/COLOR][/SIZE]s_quote(var->fe)
                    Mike

Comment

Hi Ramona,
                      Also for the gentleman that said I should learn CMonth() I can't find anything on that to look at.
                      Thank you calling me a "Gentleman". I hope that you have found CMONTH() now from Al's link.

I wanted to point you in that direction so that you could see the other Month functions and go from there.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Thank you all for trying to help me but I must be a complete idoit because I can't get this to work. So I am going to explain the whole thing over because maybe I am making this harder then it needs to be.
                        In Access we have a customer table with a field (fe) that tells us when that customer is due for service. This is so we can pull up work orders. The service schedule table was created because in the (fe) field we can enter 1 for Jan, or M for monthly, or 16 for jan and june, or 14710 for quarterly inspection and so on. When we open the report called work order it has a formula that asks us what month we are looking for. We enter 6 for june and then access goes to the service schedule table and compares all the entries in (fe) to what we are asking for and pulls up those records that match.
                        I imported the customer table in Alpha and the service schedule table. Now I am trying to create a set of them so that I can make my work orders. When I go to create the set I am linking the customer table (fe) to the service schedule table and in the link is where I am entering the info you have given me. But it just keeps telling me that it is invalid or incomplete. IS this the wrong spot and if so what do I link? And I am assuming that the Cmonth() is for it to ask me what month to look for is that correct? Is there an easier way to make all this work?
                        And Yes you are all gentleman because you are trying to help me figure out something that does not make sense to me. Thank you for all the help!!

Comment

Hi Ramona,

And I am assuming that the Cmonth() is for it to ask me what month to look for is that correct
                          Sort of, there are several functions for Month that return different values.

As I said I was just trying to point you in a direction that would help you further.

Copy this into the Interactive window and play around with it.
                          Code:
                          x=date()
                          ?x
                          = {03/06/2010}

?cmonth(x)
                          = "June"

? month(x)
                          = 6
                          Notice the difference between the two functions.

Hope this help a bit more.

It seems to me that the way the data is stored in the field is overly complicated. If the value in the field is 1 then that would be January. Alpha could get the info out of "14710" but would take a bit of code work. So we would tend to use separate fields, probably with check boxes and radio buttons.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Ramona,

The other thing to look at are Dialog boxes.
                            how do I make it ask for info in a certain field and then only bring up those files that match
                            This would be done from a dialog box. The idea is that you get a value into a variable and then use that value as part of the filter.

So you create a dialog box with a list of all the months, the user makes a selection. The variable now has a value, lets say January. The value in the variable "x" could be either "January" or "1".

For your filter you will have var->x=CMONTH(Field_Name) if Field_Name is a Date. Or, if field_Name is a number then you could just use var->x=Field_Name in your filter expression.

As you will find out there are a number of ways to do things, but it all depends on your data and how easy it is to read.
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Based on what I believe you were telling me I made this expression and added it to the set in the link box

''month = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. annual = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. twice = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. three = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. quarterly = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. six = "+quote(var->fe)+" .or. monthly = "+quote(var->fe)''

But it tells me that "Define link line 187 decompose link expression. Extra characters at the end of the expression.

What am I doing wrong?
                              If this entire string is to be your filter then it must be enclosed in " ". But then you have to escape the other quote characters by using the \character first. I just know Mike C has a link handy for that article!
                              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Working...
                              X