Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Starting Over with Alpha Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Over with Alpha Five

Hi All,
    I am an old time use of Alpha back in the does days and wish I had I keep up with it because now at 47 years of age I feel overwhelmed with programing a new application.

Well what I need to do is build an application that can be accessed from the desktop and the web, how should I start? should I build for the desktop 1st then add the web or the other way around?

Is their any good books or tutorials/lessons that I can get in order to get me up to speed with Alpha Five?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just don't where to start.

Thanks from what I consider my self a newbie.
    Ray
    Kind Regards,
    Ray Roosa
    Raylin Micro, LLC.

Re: Starting Over with Alpha Five

How are your programming skills in general? IMO buildinag a web app is far more challenging than a desktop app. But, again IMO, all things being equal, you are much better off on the web side.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
      How are your programming skills in general? IMO buildinag a web app is far more challenging than a desktop app. But, again IMO, all things being equal, you are much better off on the web side.
      Hi Peter,
      Thanks for the reply. I have not done any programing in a long time but I did make a very exstensive application in Alpha many years ago so now I consider myself new to programing starting from scratch. is their any books/video or anything that I can use in order to get up to speed?
      Kind Regards,
      Ray Roosa
      Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Ray,

Go to Alpha's main web site and buy Dr, Martin Heller's book (vol. 1) on v10 web apps. It's a great book (can't wait for vol 2 & vol 3). Check out the following links:

v10 web videos:
        http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

v10 desktop videos:
        http://alphasoftware.com/products/v1...ktopAppVideos/

Alpha, et al links:
        http://www.alphadevnet.com/links.a5w
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

We were new to Alpha 5 and we have built our app using the 50+ videos on the Alpha site.

Alan

Comment

Ray,

Go to Alpha's main web site and buy Dr, Martin Heller's book (vol. 1) on v10 web apps. It's a great book (can't wait for vol 2 & vol 3). Check out the following links:

v10 web videos:
            http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

v10 desktop videos:
            http://alphasoftware.com/products/v1...ktopAppVideos/

Alpha, et al links:
            http://www.alphadevnet.com/links.a5w
            Peter thank you for all the info however I cant seem to find the book on Alpha site, I have searched high and low, could you please provide me the link?
            Kind Regards,
            Ray Roosa
            Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

I can't find the link either. Someone provided it to me the other day. I'll pots it here if I can find it.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

https://www.alphasoftware.com/shop/i...asp?PRODID=837
                "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Pete,

How do you navigate there from Alpha's site?
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Peter Trackmanpete provided the link. I just have one more question for now, is it easy to port the web application to mySQL later if I start out using the DBF database included with Alpha for simplicity purposes?

Thank you to both of you.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Ray Roosa
                    Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Hi Peter:
                      I just found the link from your previous post and copied that. Don't know how to go from the front door....:)
                      "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by trackmanpete View Post
                        Hi Peter:
                        I just found the link from your previous post and copied that. Don't know how to go from the front door....:)
                        Hi wonder y all this has been hidden from the front door. I remember some time back when you clicked on shop or store Alpha had all kinds of books and such that we could purchase but now it just goes to v10

Anyway thank you for providing the link, off to purchase and download it :)

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
                        Kind Regards,
                        Ray Roosa
                        Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayr;538637I just have one more [B
                          question[/B] for now, is it easy to port the web application to mySQL later if I start out using the DBF database included with Alpha for simplicity purposes?
                          Recently, Steve Wood demonstrated how easy it was to switch a grid form dbf to SQL and back again.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Recently, Steve Wood demonstrated how easy it was to switch a grid form dbf to SQL and back again.
                            Thanks Peter so I will take it that its easy enough to do later on, I just dont want to have to learn to much at once so I want to keep things as simple as possible at first. I will be building a service application for our family business and only a few users at first so I dont think I need the power of mySQL at first, over time though like my DOS application that I built in Alpha 4 years ago I am sure it will grow to be a monster.
                            Kind Regards,
                            Ray Roosa
                            Raylin Micro, LLC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rayr View Post
                              Hi wonder y all this has been hidden from the front door.
                              Probably because the book is currently a work in progress. When the whole book has been written, I'm sure it will be easy to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X