Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why does it not recognize a .dbf file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does it not recognize a .dbf file?

Using alpha v8 on May 31 everything worked fine. On June 1, I couldn't open a layout within the database. I keep getting "Error Loading.... file is not a recognized DBF format. The data appears to be there but I can't access it.

Re: Why does it not recognize a .dbf file?

It sounds like the file might have gotton corrupted in its header info. I am guessing that you don't have a backup. So I would make a backup copy now and then search the net for software that can fix DBase or dbf files.

HTH

Comment

Thanks Doug -I'll try it but I'm not so sure it's a database problem (even though it says it is). The database is named "database for fire hydrants" and contains two tables - "fire hydrant repairs" and "fire hydrant testing" both using the same table structure. From this there are several browse layouts, quite a few forms and a lot of operations. Everything associated with "fire hydrant repairs" works fine. Nothing associated with "fire hydrant testing" works at all

Comment

Mark, your table and database names are not consistent with the recommendations from Alpha. Blank spaces are sometimes an issue. For a classic DBF the filename "Fire Hydrant Testing" would be illegal. It's got too many characters and includes blank spaces. If I were in your shoes I'd rename the tables, and probably the database, itself.

Comment

Thanks Tom - I tried to do that but it won't let me rename. It says the file is in use even though I can't open it.

Comment

Reboot to clear any locking issues (not normally required, but the easy solution here). Then rename the files in File Explorer, with Alpha Five closed. Make a back up first. If you have any SETS, renaming your DBF files will render those set useless, so prepare for that. There are more than one file for each DBF, rename them all.

I'm not advocating renaming the files, but that's a method if you want to rename them. I would not rename them, it's not the problem otherwise it would not have worked prior to this June 1 date. They probably are not corrupt either, because it does not happen that often. A good idea is for you to take a snapshot of your directory where the DBF files reside -- list the files or a take a graphic snapshot, and show that here to us first. I suspect you are missing some files that are associated with the DBF files.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve; I've tried renaming them in Explorer with no difference. There are no files missing because I haven't deleted any. It's really odd - one day it worked and the next day it didn't. I managed to open everything using an old backup from 2008 from a remote drive but that got corrupted with the new file date of 01/06/2010 automatically generated by Alpha Five.

Like I said, I've got two layouts within the database. One works fine and the other can't recognize the .dbf format.

The database is fire hydrants.
              There are two tables, fire hydrant repairs and fire hydrant testing.
              There are four browses, one of which is fire hydrant repairs (works fine). The rest are for fire hydrant testing and none of them work.
              There are fourteen forms. Those associated with fire hydrant repairs work fine. Those associated with fire hydrant testing do not.
              There are 46 operations all associated with fire hydrant testing. None of them work. Ditto for reports.

The tables share the same table structure and browses/forms/operations etc. only use what's necessary from the table structure.

I really can't do anything with fire hydrant testing. I can't rename; I can't compact; I can't duplicate - nothing, nada, zilch.

The memo field is the same for both tables (from the structure) so I know that's not the problem. The only think that happened between May 31 and June 1 is automatic updates from Java and HP. I don't think that's the problem because portions of the database still work exactly the same way as they always did.

I'm going absolutely nuts!

Comment

This may be a case where a memo field has been corrupted, causing Alpha to be unable to open the table.

Comment

Thanks for all your help Tom - I've suspected the memo field but assumed since it worked fine in fire hydrant repairs it was okay (it is the same memo field, after all). When I deleted the memo field in the table structure it didn't do anything except cause an error message in fire hydrant repairs. With all the data that would need to be re-entered, and all the forms, layouts and operations that need to be redesigned, do you think I'm better off trying to fix it?

Comment

Please clarify. How do you put the the same field in two tables? A change in the table structure of one table should NOT affect the table structure in a second table. What am I missing?

Assuming you're working only with native Alpha Five tables I would not have deleted the memo field from the structure of the corrupted (inaccessible table). I would have closed Alpha Five, and then used Windows explorer to delete the gnormous FPT file, and then copied back to the database folder the same FPT file from my last good backup. I would have then reindexed the table. If you've deleted the memo field from the structure of the table it's probably too late to do this, without also restoring all the files for the table. i.e. DBF, CDX, FPT, and the table's dictionaries DDM, DDD, DDX. Do you have a good backup?
                    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 06-09-2010, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I misled you. I had to think about it again since I can't open the table structure in the corrupted database to look at it. I used the same field names in each table structure, but they are different tables.

Comment

Hi to all who tried to help - I want to thank you for all your help but I've decided to start from scratch. The database recovery program(s) recommended to me were bought and paid for but the data is way to scrambled to fathom. It'll cost me thousands of dollars to re-enter the data, hard copy by hard copy times 3,500 records (thank God I kept the paper!), but it's taught me a valuable lesson when it comes to database design - don't use memo fields and back up the data daily if you use it daily! I wish I knew more!

Comment

Last resort, zip up the entire project and give it to someone here with instructions of what needs to be recovered. Maybe you are still missing something that one of us would spot. I'll do it if you want.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks for the offer Steve. I'll send you the zip file, which will now include "repaired" files that can likely be ignored. I'm in no hurry anymore - I'll just keep plodding along re-entering data and re-designing forms and reports in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                            X