Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Supercontrol Grid on a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercontrol Grid on a form

To All:
    When I try to add a supercontrol Grid on a form , I get an Error message stating that I have to purchase the Feature Pack.

Have they taken that option away from the standard V10?

Thanks
    Charlie Crimmel

Re: Supercontrol Grid on a form

Have they taken that option away from the standard V10?
    Looks like it when the new patch upgraded to 10.5.

I can confirm I get the same message.

That seems a bit naughty.

First we are told this is a built in feature with a video of how to include the grid and now being asked for an extra $99 to use it.

This comes under the heading of "that aint Cricket" or "Shifting the Goal Posts".

I wonder what else is going to moved to this new environment?
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 07-04-2010, 01:06 PM.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Guys

Something happened this morning after reading Charlie's post and then going on to Version 10.5 to see what was going on.

When I opened V10 (current patch) and went to a form and then design mode, clicked on supercontrols and the "Embedded Grid on form" was there and then I tried it and got the same message as Charlie.

I shut down my computer and came back a while later, started it up and then read the message board as I usually do, and then went to Version 10 again to see if the same thing happens. Now when I load a form in design mode and go to the supercontrols, the "Embedded Grid on Form" does not even show.

The only thing that I did in between the first time and the second time was to download a Version 9 patch and installed that.

The first time I found that I had the same response as Charlie, I went to an old version of the version 9, which I think was a holdover to the v10 beta testing (I am not sure) opened a form and the "embedded grid on form" was there. I added an embedded grid to a form and it worked. That is why I downloaded the current patch for version 9.

Not being an expert on the registry, could something have been written to the registry to not show the "embedded grid on form" after that download?

I have not tried to use that feature but as you said Keith it was used as a selling point before and now we have to pay for it.

I wonder what other posters will say.

Interesting.

Tom Baker

Comment

This is direct from the Desktop Application Videos
        The V10 Grid Components offer a huge array of features - many of which are not possible on the Desktop, or are only possible with some programming effort. However, now you can take advantage of the huge richness of the Grid Component in your Desktop applications. This video shows how you can use the Xdialog Genie in Action Scripting to place a Grid Component in an Xdialog.

There is no need for the Application server to be running when you open the Xdialog - the Grid Component works without the Application server. The results are stunning!

Watch Video - Part 1
        Watch Video - Part 2
        To be fair this demonstrates how to use a Grid in an Xdialog.

I have loaded the original V10 and it worked perfectly as an embedded dialog grid. This is out of order to be switched off in V10.5 and in the first instance should be reported as a bug.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Email from selwyn:
          putting a grid component on a form was never part of the standard v10.
          this feature has always been available ONLY in a feature pack.

Comment

putting a grid component on a form was never part of the standard v10.
            this feature has always been available ONLY in a feature pack.
            So how were you able to to put a Supercontrol Grid on a form in V10 before Feature Packs were ever mentioned.

I still have V10 not updated to 10.5 to which I can include a web grid in a desktop form.

The Feature Packs were only made available when 10.5 was launched. (As far as I can recall)
            Last edited by Keith Hubert; 07-05-2010, 09:21 AM.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

There seems to be a lot of misinformation going around here.

The ability to put a Grid component in an Xdialog has been part of V10 since its initial release and is still part of V10.5. (i.e. it is not necessary to purchase a Feature Pack).

The ability to put an Xdialog on a Form has been part of Alpha Five for several versions going back as far as V7 or V8.

Therefore, if you have the skills, putting a Grid component on a form has been available since v10 came out because you could embed the Grid in an xdialog and then embed the Xdialog into a form. However, the skill level required for this is high.

The feature pack that allows you to embed a Grid component in a form simply automates the process and makes it incredibly easy to do. It also allows you to 'Link' the grid to data in the form which would not have been possible without the feature pack.

The feature pack also adds new actions to action scripting that allow you to create buttons on the desktop that open windows that contain Grid components.

The 'Embed Grid on Form' feature pack has NEVER been available as part of the base product. Nothing has been 'taken away'.

Comment

I fear that I have contributed to the misinformation to which I sincerely and unreservedly apologize for the comments I made here on the forum.

It was never my intention to accuse Alpha Software Inc or any of it's employees of any unethical behavior. I cannot justify what I wrote, other than what was meant to be a glib remark, with reference to Cricket and Football.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                X