Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Password protected button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password protected button

I password protected a (button) on a form and cannot remember what I used. Seems you need the old one to reset it or remove it. I know, really dumb!

Re: Password protected button

I was able to delete a password protected button without a problem and get to the event codes on the button. Copy the events to a new button and delete the old one. And this is one aurgument I have made why the only code on buttons OnPush event is play script of function, and not having a bunch of code on the button that can be lost.
    Last edited by Mike Wilson; 07-14-2010, 10:44 AM.
    Mike W

Comment

Re: Password protected button

Yep. I agree with Mike. I don't bother password protecting layouts, buttons, etc. anymore. The only thing I password protect is my global code (scripts and functions).

Unless they've changed things in v10, the password in global scripts and functions is far more secure than the ones in layouts, buttons, etc. If you really want to know your old password, send me the data dictionaries for the table/set that form is in and I'll get it for you.

If you use Action Scripting it becomes a bit harder to password protect your scripts but I accidentally discovered that the automated routine in my AIMS Grab Bag (at the top of this list) will do it for you. The only drawback with Action Scripts is that editing them removes the password - which means they need to be reset before distributing updates. (Using my routine it will probably take you 10-15 seconds from "I better reset them" to "it's done". It takes me about 5 seconds to find the option, enter the password, and click OK then another 10 seconds to actually set the password on the 617 scripts/functions in my largest app.)

The only truly valuable thing to protect is your code. Any user can see the layouts and buttons and design something that looks like them. And, if some idiot user decides to change things and messes it up, charge them double time to fix it.

I put simple code that just closes a form or opens another form without doing anything special right in the button event. Any complex code (sorta roughly anything longer than one screen) gets created in the Code tab and called from the button, event, etc.

It's also much easier to edit that way - leave the form open, edit the code, switch back to the [still open] form and test it. To edit code on the button you have to switch to Design mode, select the button, select the event, edit the event, exit the editor, save the form, switch to View mode and then (finally!) test it - and then, usually, start the whole process over again a few times until you get it right. Of course, you have to start over again with both methods but it's a lot easier and faster when the main code is in the Code tab and the form can just remain open the whole time.

And if you read my second paragraph carefully you will understand why I always recommend using a different password in the script/functions in the Code editor than on layouts, buttons, etc. (Assuming you continue to use passwords on layouts, buttons, etc. or add script passwords to an app that already has passwords on layouts, buttons, etc.)

Comment

Working...
      X