Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

corrupted files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corrupted files

OK all, I have again experienced missing or totally messed up field rules and now corrupted forms. I have attached the table in question, it is a copy of a working table that works perfectly except with the issue about using a conditional look up which i have simply removed until an answer is found. I was in process of removing fields and rules. saving every couple of changes and testing things. now it's all messed up, every field in the attached table had field rules, if you look you will see most are now gone or have been scrambled applying rules to wrong fields and the browse and form wont load, the forms were simple no xbasic or fancy coding, simple fields with some aesthetic setting such as color equations and title box's with gradient colors. simple look up fields. (reposted as i put it in wrong area, sorry)

Re: corrupted files

From the table fields in pm_estimate I would have gone down a different path.
    Bearing in mind that you have not provided any info regarding the specific application and I am just looking at the table, I would at a minimum have say customer , proj_hdr and proj_lines tables linked together in a set.
    The proj_lines table means you can have from 1 to an unspecified number of "items" in the quote which means greater flexibility. This means way less field rules and would lead to a different (simpler) form, one with a browse for the proj_lines.
    Regarding the corruption, just delete the forms and start again with a blank form and add fields as you wish.

Comment

Thanks for input Garry and yes what i supplied was only this one table from larger application to give an example of the corruption of field rules am I'm experiencing, I have posted before about corrupted field rules (especially using conditional look ups)with no responses.This table is a very simple estimate and does not require a lot of line items nor calculated fields. As i write this I'm redoing the table from scratch instead of copying the larger estimate table and modifying.

Thanks
      bob

Comment

I have never had a problem with corrupted field rules. However, if a table is modified by say renaming a field, then this can flow thru to field rules. My experience is that any "corruption" is generally the result of many changes and therefore more likely my fault than Alpha's.
        I use A5DOC to ensure that prior to a change I know the full implications of making the change and if I proceed that I fix every reference immediately.

Comment

I'm guilty of alot of changes during design (could all these changes corrupt my rules and forms ?)I to use a5doc but i only print out structure during design until its completed then do the rest. As my work is for my company only, there are large time lapses in coding alpha, our current application i wrote using alpha v6 and has been untouched since and runs strong but has become limited in its abilities in internet and paperless communications (emailing,pdf's) and the company has grown in its needs so I took the plunge again using alpha starting from scratch making a desktop application then later I will add web application for my field personal. I do so appreciate all the forum members help as I do this.

Comment

R,

Many of your fieldnames are longer than 10 characters. This means that they must be stored in the dictionaries of the table. The dictionaries of the table are where your field rules and layouts are saved, also. The symptoms you report suggest the problem lies in your table's dictionaries. Something has corrupted your dictionaries. During development its important to remember that your changes are being stored in the dictionaries, not in the table. There may be several things going on that might cause this corruption including faulty hardware. In my experience here the only time I"ve seen it is when I mistakenly disassociate the table from its dictionaries.

I'm curious. Was this table part of the multi-folder application we discussed in the other thread recently?

Comment

Just a FYI really...

I just had all the beyond 10 character fieldnames in a passive linked QuickBooks' table truncate on me as a result of having an incorrect fieldname in place when an append operation was run.....again my fault that Alpha could not resolve something and as it happens at times, it can cause this. Replacing the original long names cured the corrupt table and correcting the field name cured the issue.
              Mike

Comment

I have come across the same problem in v5 v9 and v10. There was a program that would compare two database, there field rules and file structure.
                Apparently the program does not work on a v9,V10 database.
                I believe the program was written by Jim Chappmen.
                Last edited by [email protected]; 08-10-2010, 02:20 AM. Reason: fonts size

Comment

Working...
                X