Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Append records and auto-increment field problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Append records and auto-increment field problem

Hi,

many times I use append record operation, without any trouble.

Now I wanted to append old client records. But now the operation fail or is not working how I expected.

Append operation: Unique, replace existing
    Linking key str(KLIENTENNR,5,0) on both side
    No filter defined
    EITHER Klientennr @Ex_Klienten->Klientennr
    EITHER Name @Ex_Klienten->Name
    EITHER Vorname @Ex_Klienten->Vorname
    ... and so on

Klientennr is an auto-increment field / like customer ID

After this operation the old customer IDs got new IDs, next to last ID from the master table.

O.K. I understand that xbasic hornored all field rule, but how to get the old customers record with the old IDs - without turning off the auto-increment field rule. I can not turn off in a multiuser enviroment.

Thanks in advance

Cornelius

Re: Append records and auto-increment field problem

Gee, it should not be doing what you say it is doing, if I understand the details of what you are saying. If the ID numbers are the same, they do not change. If the ID field is empty, it should get the next auto increment #. If the ID field is not empty but it does not exist in the master table, it should append as a new record with the non-empty ID #, not a new auto increment value. You appear to be saying this is not happening. If so, what build are you using? Maybe you need to make a small sample DB of the problem and include that for people here to look at. Don't know what else to say. What you seem to be trying to do works perfectly for me with both v9 and v 10.5

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Thank you for your reply,
      using build 3040_3571 - I think the latest.

Please see the sample database. The append operation import six records from the old_klienten to klienten table, name alpha, betha, gamma and so on.

Compare the old_klienten and the klienten table. All IDs of the 6 records are new IDs.

I guess I make a mistake, but can't find any clue. There is no workaround at the moment for me.

Cornelius

Comment

Cornelius, in your example none of the "ID" values match records in the master table, so all the transaction records get appended with new autoinc ID field values. Working as designed. Or, am I missing something?

If you need to be able to append records while retaining the ID values they received in the transaction table, the traditional solution to this is to use the ID value in the master table to identify your transaction, and create a new field in the master table that will become the primary key assigning unique values to each record. This would require you to make the ID field user entered, and then make the new primary key autoinc. The new field would contain a value that uniquely identifies the record, but not necessarily the transaction. Clear?

Comment

In addition to what Tom has said, note that all the ID's in your transaction table are lower than the highest number used in the master and they no longer exist in the master (assuming they ever did). Had those ID's existed in the master, the records would merely have been updated. Also, had any or all of them been higher than the last in the master, it (they) would be appended with no change in the ID #--and the highest of those would be the new value for subsequent auto-increments. Apparently you do not want this standard behavior. Tom's suggestion is good, either that or you have to go to the trouble of turning off auto-increment before appending--which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I will not turning off auto-increment before appending � don�t like any disaster :-)

I tried to copy a special solution, which I develop when we use Lotus Approach.
            Thank you for your suggestion Tom, I thought about before. Please look at the klienten table. I imported the old clients and create a new customer. Is that right?

When I make a user entered ID (User_ID) I am able to make this by a expression, �M�+padl(alltrim(str(ID,5)),5,�0�). In that case I am able to import the old records and to keep alive the old ID numbers. The additional character in front will indicate the source of the record, just a gimmick.

Thank you very much for your help. It is just a simple problem, but very important for me.

Cornelius
            Last edited by Corelius; 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM. Reason: attachement

Comment

Working...
            X