Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help an Alpha Five Newbie Support His Users and a Critical Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help an Alpha Five Newbie Support His Users and a Critical Database

I am the tech director for a K-12 school district. Our transportation department uses Alpha Five to track bus routes, students, billing for trips, etc. Basically all of their operations are in Alpha Five. We have been using Alpha Five for 10+ years and the people that set it up are long gone. Those of us here know very little about it.

We are in the process of converting from a Novell Network to a Microsoft Network. As part of the conversion, I removed the Novell client and added the MS Client to the PC running Alpha Five. As a result a new local profile was created. When we launched Alpha Five we were asked for a serial number which I entered. We then opened the database from the network only to find that all of the tables on the tables/sets tab were grayed out and could not be opened. The report, form, etc, tabs were blank. I thought perhaps the database was corrupt so I restored it from 2 different backups only to find the same issue both times. I then decided to add the Novell Client again and log back in with the original profile. I again got the same result. I searched the local PC for .adb and .dbf files and only found Alpha Five samples.

I created a support incident only to learn that this apparently isn't an Alpha Five issue but rather a database issue. I have now requested mentoring help but am not sure how soon that can take place. Can anyone offer any insight to what might be going on and/or how I might recover our database? This is a mission critical database for us and with school starting a couple of weeks, we are very short on time.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brad

Re: Help an Alpha Five Newbie Support His Users and a Critical Database

Do the users of the database have read/write rights to the database folder? Just right-click on the data folder and review it's properties. In general, this first hits me as a network/user rights problem, not a database problem per se.

As a side-note, you can also find Alpha consultants and mentoring at http://www.alphadevnet.com. Not to butt in too hard here but if you're running a school system on A5 (or any other database system) without a consultant at the ready, it just seems to me like you're inviting problems. Kinda like having a fleet of buses, hoping you'll find a mechanic's help when you need it.
    Last edited by Steve Workings; 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

They do have full access to the folder.

I totally agee with you. We either need to find support for the application or find another application.

BRad

Comment

I wonder what files you transferred/restored. If you only used the .dbf files, then it's incomplete. You also need the .ddd, .ddm, .ddx, .fpt, .cdx, .set, .sem., .sex and probably a few others.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I see the following file types.
          dbf, adb, ddd, ddm, ddx, fpt, alm, alx, muf.
          Some files have the name of the one tables (accounts) that is not grayed out. The others are called "bus98" which is not the name of any of the tables.

Brad

Comment

The simple existence of those files isn't enough. Are they the original ones from before you began? You can probably tell by their size.

I think you could save a lot of time and guessing if you'd zip up your database and let someone have a look at it to confirm whether you have a database problem or a system configuration problem.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Here you go. The files are very small but I restored 2 backups from a time when this was working fine. If there are files missing, perhaps you can help me determine where they used to be located from the attached files. I searched the PC for .dbf and .adb files and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Brad

Comment

Does this database use a non-.dbf backend? It looks to me like the database is built with connections to a SQL-type database, and the connection string is now missing.

For instance, if you look at the control panel when you open the database, you see the Drivers table listed in the tables/sets tab, but there is no Drivers.dbf or other local support files.

I think you need to figure out where your data resides, and supply the proper connection string.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by breichert View Post
                  I searched the PC for .dbf and .adb files and didn't find anything.
                  Hi Brad,

Your data files appear to be located in the following drive/folder:

i:\alpha4v3\buses

There are several dbf files there. A 10-year old app wouldn't have SQL connection strings anyway.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter's right - a 10 year old app.

So Brad, copy your .dbf, .ddd, .ddm, .ddx, .fpt and .cdx files from i:\alpha4v3\buses to the current location of your database and you'll be in better shape.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

That is interesting. I am not aware of an I drive over there but that does give me something to look for!

Thanks!

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                        Hi Brad,

Your data files appear to be located in the following drive/folder:

i:\alpha4v3\buses

There are several dbf files there. A 10-year old app wouldn't have SQL connection strings anyway.
                        Pete, you are my hero!!!! It turns out that the data was actually in the home directory of a previous transportation secretary. Apparently a previous tech person mapped a drive to that location rather than moving the data. I didn't have a clue.

Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you!

Brad

Comment

Very good, Sir!
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                          X