Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sub-Report Prints Record Multiple Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-Report Prints Record Multiple Times

I have a report based on a set with 11 child tables, all linked 1:M. I have 1 record in child table7 (Rich Text memo field) but it displays the record in sub-report7 30 times. Also, sub-report8 based on child table8 does not show even though it contains records. If I eliminate sub-report7, sub-report8 appears as it should.

Compacting the database does not help and none of the sub-reports contain any filters other than the linking field between the parent and child tables. If I place the RTMF in the sub-report header, it prints only once but over 2" of blank space appears on the report after the header prints. Hiding the sub-report detail section does not eliminate the blank space.

If I place the RTMF on the report detail section, the record prints as it should, only once. Thus, this leads me to believe there is a bug in that placing a RTMF in a sub-report does not work or is not supposed to work.

I changed the RTMF to a Memo field and it still printed 30 times in the sub-report and included a bunch of other stuff other than the text I entered.

Changing the RTMF to a character field is not an option. If I can't use the memo field in a sub-report, I'll to abandon A5 in favor of a word processor which will be......

Thanks for the suggestions. Attached is the result of the memo field in a sub-report.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Sub-Report Prints Record Multiple Times

Any chance of posting a database?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
      I knew you'd ask that :D but I won't be able to do it until later this evening.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ok, here is a small database to look at. I created the Investigations Table and then the narrative, Assets and Time Line tables. Next I created a set and only used the Narrative table as the child table.

I then created the report using the child table Narrative as the first sub-report; ran the report all was well. I added the Assets as a child table and added the assets sub-report. Again, all is OK.

The 3rd child table added was the timeline table and the timeline sub-report. When I ran the report, both the Assets and narrative sub-reports showed the only record 6 times. I deleted the timeline sub-report but the same record shows 6 times in each sub-report.

Database compact has no effect. I'm using 3286-3590 which is not the latest version. Hopefully, someone will spot the problem.

Thanks for looking.

kenn

Comment

Hey Kenn, your set is missing from the zip... easily created though... thanks for the sample... having a look.

Comment

Hey Kenn, your set is missing from the zip... easily created though... thanks for the sample... having a look.
            Hi David,

Interesting. It is in the database I zipped so looks like Alpha zapped it. It will be interesting to see what happens. Was the report still there? It is built on the set.

kenn

Comment

No, the report wasn't there 'cause it's based on the set... doesn't matter.. easy to build for testing.

The RTF field in the Narrative table is messing things up for you... really big time.

The data doesn't really get duplicated in my test... but space is made in the 1st sub-report that seems to equal the rest of the report.

Changing the RTF field type to Character really messed things up. Deleting the records and packing the table didn't help. I added back 3 records in the narrative table and only part of 1 record showed in the sub-report... this is really bad. Changing a field type, even RTF, should not mess things up this badly.

I created a new narrative table and the report looks fine.

So, something seems to be wrong with Reports, sub-reports, and RTF fields.

That's all so far, 'cause I gotta go... but I'm going to create a new narrative table with a new RTF field and see what happend then.

Comment

When I opened the database which I used to zip the one I uploaded, I see that the set has a question mark on it and the only thing I could do with it was too delete it nor drop it from the database.

I opened the zip you sent and see that the set also has a question mark on it. The reports were there but like the other, the only thing which can be done with it is to delete it or drop it from the database. Check what you have and see if the set has a question mark on it.

I created a new set and added one child table, Narrative linking it 1:1. It worked as it should. Then, I added another child table to the set, t_evid_timeline, and linked it 1:M. Added another sub-report and ran the report. The Narrative sub-report ran 6 times, the same number of records in the other sub-report.

This looks like a bug to me. I'm going to try another tactic before submitting it as a BUG.

Thanks for your efforts.

kenn

Comment

This has to be a bug. I created a 3 table database and then the set and a report based on the set. As soon as I added the 2nd child table w/3 records to the set and a sub-report, ran the report and the RTMF repeated 3 times, once for each record in the other child table.

I also removed A5, downloaded A5 and reinstalled it. Hard to believe no one else has encountered this. I will be submitting a bug report.

kenn

OOPS, Not supposed use a 1:1 child table in a sub-report.
                  Last edited by forskare; 10-08-2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Not able to open your zip file but don't think there are any bugs here. See if you could attach another one.

Comment

Sorry, the set was listed but had a question mark on it... that's kinda what I meant about it not being there... because it's not where it should be and so A5 questions it.

However, the set I created is there, and workes fine with the rptTest but there is no RTF field. That's either the problem or the bug. Have another look at the database I sent... at least it's a start to finding the problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X