Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sub-Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-Report

Report with 7 sub-reports. All is working as it should until one particular sub-report gets a burr under it's saddle. In this case the burr causes the the sub-reports which follow to not show. Through T&E, I determined that if I delete the "Income" sub-report, all the sub-reports will show.

I created a new "Income" sub-report and everything was fine for awhile and then the same problem reappears. Delete the "Income" sub-report and the rest will again show.

It makes no difference where in the order of sub-reports I place the "Income" sub-report, the problem is still there.

There is nothing unusual about the "Income" sub-report. Just like the other sub-reports, there is a calculated field in the header and a few fields in the body.

Database compact does not solve it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Attached are a couple of screen shots showing without and with the "Income" sub-report.

Thanks much

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Sub-Report

I had a lot of issues with a particular sub report and it ended up being the set structure. I was trying to make one sub report based on itself. In other words I created a main set on a table than created a sub table based the same table (different alias name) plus some other tables. To make it work I had to come up with a separate header table to the other tables

Not sure if this related, but can you give a screen shot of the set structure? The problem may be there
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Originally posted by Clunes View Post
      I had a lot of issues with a particular sub report and it ended up being the set structure. I was trying to make one sub report based on itself. In other words I created a main set on a table than created a sub table based the same table (different alias name) plus some other tables. To make it work I had to come up with a separate header table to the other tables

Not sure if this related, but can you give a screen shot of the set structure? The problem may be there
      The tables in the set structure are not duplicated. The child tables are linked 1:M (including the Income SR) except for 2 which are linked 1:1 in which a sub-report was not used. All the sub-reports were created straight forward. The only expression in each is a claculated text field in the SR header. There are no conditional statements within the entire report. It's really pretty basic.

Thanks for your suggestion,

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

kenn,
        possible that the problem subreport has too long of a sort expression, that when added to the rest, goes beyond the max of 240 characters....or has a conflicting filter....or has a calculated field that cannot be resolved....or has something else that cannot be resolved such as an incorrect field name.....OR......

Something like this is way too hard to know exactly and so we can only give guesses without having your report in front of us.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
          kenn,
          possible that the problem subreport has too long of a sort expression, that when added to the rest, goes beyond the max of 240 characters....or has a conflicting filter....or has a calculated field that cannot be resolved....or has something else that cannot be resolved such as an incorrect field name.....OR......

Something like this is way too hard to know exactly and so we can only give guesses without having your report in front of us.
          Yah, I know. The SR shows income received by Date, Amount, Employee and Employer. The sort order is the default order. The only calculated field is "Section 4 - Income" in which the number 4 is the field part of it.

I my assesment of this, I asked, "What is it in the SR Income which, at some point causes the SRs which come afterwards, to not show?" "Why is it that, simply the appearance of the Income SR causes the others not to show data?" It's as if the Income SR is a filter, so to speak. All SRs are linked to the parent Report/Table by the same I.D. #. It's as basic as it gets.

I'll attach it later this evening while watching the Tundra Bowl on ESPN.

Thanks for the guesses,

kenn

Comment

1-Without more details, it is possible that alpha is running out of characters for the expression (created by alpha) linking these tables in the set and further in the report.

2-It might help if you maintain the income table, remove a different table and see what happens. This will tell it if it's a problem with the income table or the set as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
              1-Without more details, it is possible that alpha is running out of characters for the expression (created by alpha) linking these tables in the set and further in the report.

2-It might help if you maintain the income table, remove a different table and see what happens. This will tell it if it's a problem with the income table or the set as a whole.
              Hi G,

I didn't remove the tables from the set but I remove the SRs one at a time. It wasn't until the Income SR was removed that the other SRs showed data. I then added the SRs back one at a time. Everything was fine until I added the Income SR.

kenn

Comment

I take option 1 pending further details.
                Open your Indexes, check the ones created by alpha.
                Any filters when attaching this SR?

Comment

I take option 1 pending further details.
                  Open your Indexes, check the ones created by alpha.
                  Any filters when attaching this SR?
                  The only filter is in the main report, the ID number which identifies the person. All SRs are linked to the parent with the ID number, the only common field.

kenn

Comment

Attach a file if you can. too many variables here..

Comment

Attach a file if you can. too many variables here..
                      While I'm watching the Tundra Bowl. I know you wish you were sitting in the bleachers enjoying the fresh air. Ahhhhhhhh, so invigorating.

Comment

No.. but can't wait for the Saints to beat the Falcons.

Comment

Here is the Report with the sub-reports. Run the report. Page 1 should all be there and on page 2 you will see the empty sub-reports which come after the Income SR. The exception is SR 9 is there but SRs 10 & 11 are not.

Make a copy and remove the Income SR and again run the report. Notice all the SRs which come after the Income SR are visible.

Thanks for taking a look.

kenn

Comment

Found it. Edit the set and click on the Income table. Change the 'Order/Filter->Include From Parent' from Match to None. One has to wonder why this affects the other tables rather than the table itself. Doesn't seem normal to me.

kenn
                            Last edited by forskare; 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

removed no longer needed
                              -----------------------------------------------
                              Regards
                              Mark Pearson
                              [email protected]
                              Youtube channel
                              Website

Comment

Working...
                              X