Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Add field to emb. browse using xbasic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add field to emb. browse using xbasic

Is it possible to add a field to an embedded browse using xbasic?

I cannot seem to find anything in the help files (or this forum) indicating how to do so if it is possible.

Thanks
    Tony

Re: Add field to emb. browse using xbasic

I take it you want to add an remove fields dynamically based on a set of circumstances?

Not sure if that can be done, however you may be able to do it using teh xdialog. If you go to learn xdialog -> what's new in v9 -> xdialog with an embedded browse. You might be able to manipulate this process
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Until you asked this question, I had not really looked at the browse in xdialog. This is really a great tool
      -----------------------------------------------
      Regards
      Mark Pearson
      [email protected]
      Youtube channel
      Website

Comment

Like buttons and other objects, this is something that would be nice to have...to be able to create the object ourselves when wanted. The closest functions I can find for a browse only brings up dialog boxes in which a new browse can be created from the field list presented...

ADHOCVIEW("Table/set name")
        A5_BROWSE_CREATE("Table/set name")
        Mike

Comment

Haven't played around with this and it may or may not be possible, however you could put a browse with all the fields (columns) and make any column appear/disappear by changing its width from zero to desired width and that you could do with xbasic.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think it would be nice to be able to add a field to a browse (embedded or stand alone) using xbasic. You can add a new field to a table this way...now if we could do the same to the front end of the app it would be great.

Gabriel, I did think about what you suggested. However, I would like my users (my assistant coaches) to be able to add new fields to a specific table without having to physically edit and change the table. (this part I figured out) . I would also like those new fields to then be added to the embedded browse on the data entry form for that table. This would be great if it were possible:)

Comment

Tony,
              If you could get yourself to switch from data entry through browses (which I don't recommend to begin with), to data entry through xdialogs (which is far more robust and can be dynamic as you are wishing), then having available a new field added to a table in the xdialog entry form would be a piece of cake (using table.external_field_name_get() and some coding). Otherwise, I don't see your going to get what you came for. I could muster up an example if you are seriously interested.
              Mike W

Comment

Mike,
                I am seriously interested and very grateful for any help you can provide. However, before you spend the time, maybe I should tell you exactly what I am trying to do. It might lend itself to alternative solutions.

I am the director of sports performance at Waldorf College. I have used Alpha Five to create a database that we use to manage almost every aspect of our program...from inventory of the weight room, to logging injuries, to creating workouts (still under construction) and storing testing and assessment values for our 400+ athletes.

The heart of the db really revolves around our testing/assessment data. We do have common tests that we perform on all athletes. However, we also administer some sport and even position specific testing. This means that we really utilize a lot of different tests..and we often add/remove tests.

I have tinkered with A5 long enough that I can go in and add/remove fields (I have a table that has a field for each test/assessment) to tables and embedded browses quickly. However, my assistants are quite different. Honestly, I would rather them never see the back end of the software if it can be avoided. I would also eventually like to NOT have to make the changes myself. It takes time...although not much...its enough.

Furthermore, As I continually develop the DB to address our needs, I have began to think that I might eventually have a marketable product. Yet another reason to try to streamline and automate as much as possible.

Now...The reasons I have used embedded browses are numerous. 1) my xbasic skills are poor to say the least. and 2) I have found it to be a great way to view data. For instance: I have a form that we use to view/enter/edit testing values on our athletes. There is a browse along the left side of the form that lists all of the athletes. This list can be filtered to a specific team if needed. When you select an athlete, their testing history is listed in another browse on the right side of the form.

With it set up this way, I can quickly switch between teams; browse through my athletes to compare testing values from athlete to athlete, and quickly see a testing history for a single athlete (which is important)

Now the problems I have are:
                1) I have a separate testing entry form for each team...but once again, adding a new team requires A5 knowledge. I can do it...but what happens when I am not there to do so. I have included a screen cap for an example
                2) You have to manually edit a form to add a field to the browse. Once again this requires me...and I would rather it not.

What I would like to be able to do is
                1) create new tests...which currently would meaning adding fields to my "Testing" table
                2) Assign or deassign tests to teams.
                3) When I view a team, only see the tests (and testing data history for each athlete) that have been assigned to that team.

I think I can figure out 1 and 2. No. 3 however is the problem.

I hope hope I have not made this more confusing than it needs to be.

Thanks
                Tony
                Attached Files

Comment

As for item 1) (if I read you correctly) there is no need to add fields when things change.
                  If you have a simple table with the important bits, you can link the test to the team.
                  Example Test Table.

Test ID
                  Descrption
                  Metrics 1
                  Metrics 2
                  Current Flag (Turn this one on or off so it can be viewed and used or not)

Example Athlete Table

Athlete ID
                  Team ID
                  Test ID

Example Set

Athlete
                  1:M ---------> Test

or similar. This might make life easier viewing Teams as well as individuals.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I agree with Ted. But the whole process of having fields in the table be one for each test, and having the need to constantly amend these fields dynamic so they can be added and subtracted, and having a browse presentation of a dynamically changing table, seems to require some coding to accommodate for this changing nature of the table(s). It is some degree of complex coding, but a fun challenge. I used the approach of having a reference table (test_list) to hold the list of (current) tests which is added to (and subtracted from if wished), a table (testing) to hold the tests and the measurement values of those tests for athletes on a given day (through a dynamic xdialog), and presenting the tests and measurement values from the testing table through a temporary table that is created and deleted dynamically and presentation through a default browse. It's the only way I could get to achieve the dynamics that was desired through "fixed" forms and code. See attached.
                    Attached Files
                    Mike W

Comment

Mike,
                      I have just realized that I did not thank you for your help on this. My sincerest appologies.

Therefore...thank you for your help.

Tony

Comment

Mike, what purpose is the Dummy table in the Teams app?
                        I've used a Dummy field Char 1 for inexact linking before but not a Table.

Comment

Many developers use a dummy table as the background for a form upon which they place buttons. Sort of a menu form. Those buttons kick off scripts and operations that require exclusive use of the table upon which they operate. Since the dummy table is never affected by these scripts and operations, no conflicts arise.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Aaaah! I've been busily attaching a Form to a not so important Table, like a User maintainable Lookup Table of Values.
                            Never thought of doing it that way, although I have a few Forms with all of the buttons I'm likely to need in the right size, shape and colour.
                            That's today's "learn something new" resolved then.
                            Ta Stan.

Comment

Ted,
                              What Stan said so eloquently.

Tony,
                              You are welcome. I hope it did help and not too many points of confusion/misunderstandings. I didn't make as many notes in the code as I should have. I must have been presed for time.
                              Mike W

Comment

Working...
                              X