Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developer Vs Runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer Vs Runtime

I have one copy of A5 Ver-10 Developer. My situation at work is that I have three users including myself who will each need access to the database. What are my options? Do I need to buy two additional licenses? Do I need runtime? The information available on the Alpha web site is a bit confusing. Thanks.

Re: Developer Vs Runtime

If you buy the runtime all you need to do is load that on the users machine and then point a shortcut to the adb. It will run. If you want users to do development level work like create their own forms etc then yuo need to put the developer on their machine

Runtime comes with unlimited license so you deliver your db to anyone you like.

I do my development on my machine and have 15 other users who have the runtime. all works great
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Bill,
      Depends.....

That is as specific as I can get when
      need access to the database
      is what I have to go on. "access" means what? Access to the data==runtimes. Access to modifying the application==development.

Are you going to continue developing the application? If so are the users going to be using it when are actively developing? (suggest then 3 runtimes in addition to your current development)

Do the 3 users use the application all at the same time? If not, and if there would only be one user ever using the app, then a remote/networked connection could be used with just one runtime.

Soooo......any of my guesses right!? :) Bet with more info, someone will be able to give you a more exact answer! (I obviously can't!).
      Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. My two other users will likely be accessing a few of the tables all at the same time, and I WILL be tinkering with the application probably until the end of time. I have been using Filemaker ever since Lotus dumped Approach and am always finding new things I want to do. I'm not sure how the runtime works. If I can modify the application on my desktop and then apply the new fixes to the other two machines during down time, that would be a perfect solution if it is possible. The users will be doing no development.

My understanding of runtime is that you can have as many users as you want sharing the same application over a network. Mike C mentioned something about "three runtimes", which has me confused even more. Is it possible to purchase only the runtime licenses you actually need? I run a very small department and my user base will not get any larger than two users plus myself.

Comment

Bill

The current deal is for unlimited runtime. You as the developer can limit the runtime if you want. There use to be a process where you could only buy the license you needed, but the unrestricted is pretty good price so "I think" not necessary anymore. In your case the unrestriced runtime will not hurt. If you want to develop at the same time, then Alpha has a great zip tool. You develop and when you want to overwrite the main files you zip up less the data (a simple checkbox tick) and then unzip over the main files. However, as with approach, if you make table changes, then you will need to have a method of updating the data so that you do not get errors later

I loved Approach and used extensively. still have some very complex files out there that I will not change to Alpha unless absolutely necessary. I did not find a comparable product until Alpha5, that came close. I moved to Alpha and with some guidance from their great training vidoes got to a pretty good level very fast. The only thing I really miss from Approach was the added flexibility of the Lotus Dialog. Alpha's dialog is good too but just not quite as good. Trade off is the number of function Alpha have makes things a breeze. I have also found Alpha more stable for users. All in all I believe Alpha is developing a superior product and unless someone sells the company to IBM like Lotus did - which totally stoped its development - then all should continue to grow.
          Regards
          Mark Pearson
          [email protected]
          Youtube channel
          Website

Comment

Thanks Mark. It sounds like runtime is the route I should take.

Comment

Go Runtime, but really do take note of the problem if you "tinker" with the tables as the data will be all over the place.
              It will offend a few purists, but I tend to add a few single char fields to each table as I KNOW that the users will ask for another field.
              Something else I have had problems with recently. If you add a field and save the table, apart from the warning it's usually oK. If you add a field and then move it up the list to be more logically placed, it sometimes wrecks the whole table. Suggest you replicate/copy the table and "tinker" with the original so if all goes bang, you can get it all back.

Ted
              See our Hybrid Option here;
              https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
              You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

If you add a field and then move it up the list to be more logically placed, it sometimes wrecks the whole table
                I have read that when adding definitely add to the bottom of the table's field list to prevent issues....that said, what you did would most likely be fine if you had first saved it prior to moving it....otherwise you actually were not adding the field to the bottom. I do this a lot without issues...but do it one step at a time (just like most of the programming in Alpha!).
                Mike

Comment

LOL Mike
                  First time it happens you think you're going mad!

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up Re tinkering with the tables. Fortunately, I have good backups and can always restore a table. I'll probably learn my lesson the first time it happens to me

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                      Go Runtime, but really do take note of the problem if you "tinker" with the tables as the data will be all over the place.
                      It will offend a few purists, but I tend to add a few single char fields to each table as I KNOW that the users will ask for another field.
                      Something else I have had problems with recently. If you add a field and save the table, apart from the warning it's usually oK. If you add a field and then move it up the list to be more logically placed, it sometimes wrecks the whole table. Suggest you replicate/copy the table and "tinker" with the original so if all goes bang, you can get it all back.

Ted
                      I have read that people experience these kinds of problems. However, for well over 10 years I have changed field names, have added or inserted fields both at the end and everywhere else in the table and have moved fields up and down the list without any problems (a name change, of course, does have consequences in coding). So I just wonder what is going on when people do have problems with such changes. What have I been doing differently, if anything? I have no idea, but I have seen no reason to become paranoid about making these kind of changes or even to follow the sometimes suggested rule to "Always add new fields to the end of the table" (I do that except when there is a good reason not to, which is quite often). Of course, one should ALWAYS have a backup before making any significant change to anything.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

The ideal is to have s separate development area where you can tinker as much as you want. When that is thoroughly tested bring the relevant files and/or layouts into the live area.

Read the attached article, you may find it of interest or even useful.
                        Last edited by Keith Hubert; 01-14-2011, 04:23 AM.
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Raymond, if you are not experiencing issues with your changes or mods to the tables then I presume you are actually always making those changes to the live db. My comments are based on doing development in a duplicate db while the user is working on the main one. Once development is ready for update then you need to be able update the users db. If there are table changes then you will need to make sure there are steps to meld the data and indexes.

Two things are apparent to me.

1. If you are making changes to the live DB while others are working with records and scripts you are in peril of serious corruption to the whole DB. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
                          2. If you are doing point 1 and not experiencing issue then you are either very lucky or I am missing something, so again please correct me.
                          Regards
                          Mark Pearson
                          [email protected]
                          Youtube channel
                          Website

Comment

Raymond, in the early days, re-oredring a table would sometimes - but not always - result in a screwed data set.
                            More recently using V9 I've had to hack a huge number of tables (Well 28 actually) about and all were absolutely fine.
                            Then I tried a simple change in V10.5 and bang. The changes to V9 were on and XP Laptop, the V10.5 are on a Win7 64 bit laptop.
                            I tend to back everything up before fiddling now as I sometimes get carried away in all the excitement!

Comment

Working...
                            X