Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Screen Flicker back in new update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Flicker back in new update?

I have a dummy form with the timer set to fill its screen position. If I go into field rules or any operation that has a lookup feature while this form is open, the screen flickers and takes forever for the lookup to populate. If you mouse over the lookup when open you can get the values to appear and once selected the flickering stops. I tried different settings for the dummy form's timer with no change. Closing the form first however stopped the flicker.

Is it just me or did something get broken with this newest update?

Perhaps someone else could test this. I was doing an update to fill a field with serial values and when I went to select the sort order this occurred.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Re: Screen Flicker back in new update?

Robin,

Check the "When you do post" section here:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...t.php?f=41&a=1

Comment

Tom, I did a search on screen flickering first and didn't find any complaints for v10. Do you know of a post I should have seen and didn't? This was not happening yesterday til I updated. And I think I did explain the problem pretty clearly. So why the admonishment?
      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Sorry, been to the dentist today. Not in the best frame of mind.

No admonishment intended. The section of the post I referenced for you has nothing whatsoever to do with searching the message board before posting. The "when you post" section of the web page I furnished suggests that posters actually attach a working sample that others can check or work with. That's why I mentioned the "when you do post" section. Otherwise someone like me would have to try to build something from scratch that may or may not match what you've described thus far. The slightest variation can lead to lots of wasted time. Personally, I'm not interested in heading down that trail. If you want to post a working model I'll be happy to take a look. Ok?
        Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Tom,
          I can appreciate the trip to the dentist. ;)

I was referring to a test that can be done with any table in an Update operation to see the problem, which can be cancelled before you actually run it. It occurs on the 3rd screen in the genie when you try to select the sort order for the update. You would have to have a form open whose window_position("fill","fill") is set for the OnTimer event. I tried for a screen shot but couldn't get it because activating the screen capture made the lookup appear!
          Robin

Comment

My dentist called me today, so maybe..... But I think Tom's point is still valid. Maybe it's the dentist thing, but I certainly am not going to take the time to create a test situation like the one you describe. Seems like it would not be much work for you to create a working example of what you are talking about. It sounds like you'll need it for a bug report anyway.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

I tried for a screen shot but couldn't get it because activating the screen capture made the lookup appear!
              Not sure how you do your screenshot but most utilities allow you to define a key combination to capture the screen without mousing. Allows for capture of dropped menus, etc.

Almost certain this one does.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Ok Ray, fair enough - here's a sample.
                Robin

Comment

I get an archive error when I try to unzip your file. Probably you'll need to zip it up again.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                    I get an archive error when I try to unzip your file.
                    Me too!
                    Wise Alpha once said said to me...
                    ..."Change must begin first."

Comment

Robin, I took a look and can confirm the behavior you're seeing. The field selection drop down does not appear until I move the mouse into the dropdown area and the control panel display flickers.

I see the same behavior running your example against vers 9 of Alpha Five, also. However, if I run your example against vers 8 the problem does not appear. The drop down field selection list (for the order expressioin in the update op I'm defining) appears immediately, and there's no flicker in the control panel.

I'm running XP Pro SP3 in these tests.

I suggest you submit a bug report. If I "comment out" the onTimer event script in the form that remains open in the background while defining an update op from the control panel, the order selection dialog in the genie driven update op definition sequence behaves correctly without CP flicker.

If you submit a bug report may I suggest that you send along the test database you posted here, and that you go one step further and create a JING screencast for them.

Comment

Heres a zip created by Alpha - Bug report sent with files.
                        Last edited by MoGrace; 02-25-2011, 11:52 AM.
                        Robin

Comment

Selwyn has responded to my bug report:

From Selwyn:
                          it is not clear to me that is is actually a bug, but even if it is, this is not something that we are going to try to fix. it is too esoteric.

i suggest you work around the issue with the following trivial changes to your code.

in your ontimer event change the code to this

dim global flagGlobalRunTimer as l = default .f.
                          if flagGlobalRunTimer then
                          this.window_position("fill","fill")
                          this.ZOrder("bottom")
                          end if

then in the form's onActivate you put
                          dim global flagGlobalRunTimer as l = .t.

and in the form's onDeactivate, you put:
                          flagGlobalRunTimer = .f.

with these changes, the timer will only run when the form has focus.

Me: Nice easy solution - thank you Selwyn!
                          Robin

Comment

Yes, very neat and tidy. The effect is to "position" the form only once each time the form is activated, instead of repeatedly each time the ontimer event fires, while preventing the "position" code from running when focus leaves the form itself. Thanks for posting the followup. -- tom

Comment

I tried it with a shared variable dimmed with the default value of .f. in the OnInit event for the form. Since it stays open til the app is closed, shared seemed the way to go. I had tried before to 'turn off' the timer event when the form was in the background and was not successful. So this fixes a similar problem in another app.

I am curious though what the flag = default .f. parameter is about; is that some system setting?
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X