Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How far should we go when trying to help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How far should we go when trying to help?

Along the lines of Cal's reply, when ever my young kids came home from school with a new word, they would ask me the meaning of that word. My first reply was always, what was the sentence that the word was used in? Having got that sorted first, I could give them a more meaningful answer. This gave them the understanding of the context of the word in question.

Just as a side issue, never tell a young child that certain words are swear words and they should not use them because they are BAD, you could tell them that some words are nonsense words and don't mean anything in a proper sentence. Don't worry, they will still use swear words when they get older!!!

As far as Ted's original question, this is a matter of personal choice, but to give away work that you are planning to sell, that I agree with Peter (who has helped me in the past) is being a little too generous. The other element to this to which you should ask yourself, were you giving your app away just to get this guy off your back?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Speaking as a new user of Alpha.
      I try to search the forum before posting anything, but many times I get a lot of returns that are not what I am looking for. This may be due to my lack of knowledge searching the forum. Sometimes it gets pointed out to me by another user, that my question has been answered before, but in a way I had not though of searching for, like using a function to search by (like ui_get_file), since I don't know the functions yet, I can't search for them.

Just like any other user forum, there is a domino effect with re-posting without searching first. Posting something already answered just adds more bloat to the forum, which in turn returns more on the next search for the next person, which if the user does not thoroughly search through all the returned posts, then chances are they will post another one...and so on and so on.

I am too new to be of much technical help to any Alpha user, but in another platform, I have helped many users and have given away completed applications to help a new user, that I intended to sell, only to find out later through an email tip that my application was very close to another, just released, application. Guess who released that! No good deed....well, you know the rest. This never stopped me from helping others, not all will take advantage of someones generosity, but I am much more cautious about what I send, and to who.

My analogy: helping some users is kind of like having a lazy brother-in-law. You keep giving him money, but he never works at anything, so you give him more money, and soon he expects the money, and then he gets angry when he does not get the money. No offense to anyone I hope, just my opinionated way of thinking.

Most of you in this current post has helped me, and some more than a few times. Some of you have gone as far as creating, changing or testing something for me that, I am sure, took much more than just a few minutes. I have truly been impressed with the help I have received from this user forum.

Mike, I agree about the respect issue. I have been stunned by some of the disrespectful remarks from some users to another user trying to help them. Posting does not grant entitlement.
      J.R.
      Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
      http://www.epigate.com
      sigpic

Comment

It also depends a bit on your motivation. Early on I helped like crazy, drafting out complete solutions and testing to ensure I was accurate. This started back when the web app server was just getting started. I did that because I desperately needed to know how to do all of these things too! No one knew how to do anything because the environment was brand new. So I helped to help myself as well as the person who requested. It also got me known as a good developer and has provided me with clients. Now I am too busy with those clients to help as much as I used to, plus it really has gotten a lot more diverse, questions in a multitude of areas.

I agree with others that I like to help where it is appreciated, by which I mean that the person is also willing to work hard to figure it out, and provide help back to the rest of us when the do figure it out. Like J.R. just before me here, he has called a couple of times and I really like being of assistance because I know he is serious about his work, and goes right to work implementing whatever we discuss.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Ted,

Being a newbie to Alpha 5 and seeing the amount of help that has been provided to me personally I don't think you should give away your work.

I think Alpha 5 developers give a but of their time as it is in helping out who asks for it and I am grateful for the help I have received so far.

I still scratch my head on how easy it is to use Alpha 5 and sometimes I wonder if Alpha 5 will do what I need it to do. I say this because I am used to building software where to do it well you need to put up with the complicated processes, research code time and other issues that comes with it. It took me 5 minutes to create something in Alpha 5 where it took an hour or so to figure out in another database system. Heck I don't think you even need to add a refresh timer to refresh a data grid if its running on my Computer connected to A LAN where someone else populates the data and the data grid on my pc populates automatically with the new data. This is cool in itself.

Alpha 5 in my opinion compared to other programs is easier to use once you get the hang of it and I have used other reporting and database creation programs for a number of years.

The only issue I have is getting used to all of the files in my program folder compared to just having 1 file that stores everything :)

In closing I think if people keep on helping people this in itself is enough. We all learn differently and its up to us to keep the learning process going.
          Personally I am a hands on person who like s to learn by playing with the software. There is also a ton of documentation available as well for those that like to learn by reading.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by wolf View Post
            I say this because I am used to building software where to do it well you need to put up with the complicated processes, research code time and other issues that comes with it.
            I think that is one of the "unlearning" issues which needs to be taken on board. Several times I've shown Access "Guru's" a quick prototype in Alpha and the response is "but you hardly touched the keyboard!"
            The Alpha team have put a lot of effort into the development of a product which can honestly and truly be used with no knowledge of programming. (It helps though in the design). This is the unlearning bit as I suspect it's seen as "cheating".
            Try showing a Sharepoint developer a Tabbed Form set up before their very eyes and watch the horror as you ask for it from them in 20 minutes.
            I'm from a SOBasic, Cobol, DL1, PL1 with a very little bit of Access and VB background, but having used Alpha since 1991 (ish) my mind set is settled. It can do it, I just haven't found the help text yet!
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted,

You are spot on. The issue with an experienced developer using Alpha is the unlearning issue and from day dot programming never needed to be difficult.

Alpha is an awesome program and I can't wait for the next version where we are able to use .net and charting in reports.

I am an experienced Reporting Analyst and have done this professionally for 3 years until the centre was closed down and we were all made redundant.

For a few reasons I have not been working in the industry for the last 3 years but during this time I have kept an eye on Alpha 5 and tested various versions to see what I could do in visual studio, Access & Crystal reports I could do with Alpha 5. I have a few database systems I want to develop but will only build these with the right software. That time came when I tested 10.5 and without hesitation purchased the Developer and runtime versions. With v10.5 I can do everything except the complex graphs and charts implemented in reports via a wysiwyg properties tab. This however I hope will be available in the next version and just in case it may not work how I would like it, I am more than happy with version 10.5.

Keep up the good work helping others.

Some may not show it but it is appreciated.

Joe

Comment

Well it would help if Alpha would give us actual working examples when they add new features, then we could investigate them for ourselves (I'm thinking Dock Panels here). On the other hand, I download lots of examples from this forum to dissect them and am glad to have them as a resource. But giving away a complete app? Chances are you will not be able to provide them exactly what they were looking for (my one-time experience), and all your hard work will have been for nought. (Except as Steve said to teach oneself).

But please don't let that discourage you from submitting more great examples here! I know I look forward to them.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. Noe View Post
                  Just like any other user forum, there is a domino effect with re-posting without searching first. Posting something already answered just adds more bloat to the forum, which in turn returns more on the next search for the next person, which if the user does not thoroughly search through all the returned posts, then chances are they will post another one...and so on and so on.
                  True but more often than not, many have a little different twist to it which can be very thought provoking and/or useful.
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You make a good point Kenn. Plus I need all the thought provoking I can get.
                    J.R.
                    Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                    http://www.epigate.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Steve Wood

Early on I helped like crazy, drafting out complete solutions and testing to ensure I was accurate. This started back when the web app server was just getting started. I did that because I desperately needed to know how to do all of these things too! No one knew how to do anything because the environment was brand new.
                      Thank You. You have really been a god send in the web area! You deserve the rewards of your work.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

You have really been a god send in the web area! You deserve the rewards of your work.
                        Thank you too. Perhaps with today's announcement of a downgrade in USA credit rating, I will have more time to help again. :(
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                        X