Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unreachable Child Records in Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreachable Child Records in Set

I'm seeing something happen for the first time in my Alpha experience. After a user deletes a child record, that record appears to be duplicated! Moreover, one of those two duplicate records cannot be selected nor scrolled to! If there are records before and after that record on the browse, it will simply skip over that "dead" record.

When I browse the child table alone, only one such record appears. But when I browse the set, both of them appear and, again, one of them cannot be scrolled to. Hmmmm? This is very odd!

When the user deleted the record, she used a button which I set up to assure that the parent record would not get deleted. In the button script, I assign tbl to the child table using a table.get() and verify that it is pointing to the record the user wants to delete. The code then follows with:
    Code:
    if dlg_result = UI_YES_SELECTED
    	nRcd = tbl.recno()
    	nMode = tbl.mode_get()
    	if nMode = 0
    		tbl.change_begin()
    	end if
    	if nRcd = tbl.recno()
    		tbl.delete()
    	end if
    	if nMode = 0
    		tbl.change_end()
    	end if
    	topparent:Browse2.refresh()
    else	
    	ui_msg_box("Nothing Deleted","User cancelled request for deletion.")
    end if
    My only speculation is that maybe by using table.get() for the tbl pointer it is locked into the current session and cannot behave the way it would if it independently used table.open(). Regardless, why would the set indicate a record which the child table does not show?

BTW, when I packed both the parent and child tables, the "dead" record went away. But later when another child record was deleted, the same thing happened.

Steve

Re: Unreachable Child Records in Set

You will get the appearance of two records from one in the set if you somehow have two parent records with the same link ID number.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    [email protected]
    Youtube channel
    Website

Comment

Hi, Steve.

I'm puzzled by all the IF ... END IF code blocks. Why are they necessary? And shouldn't the mode test in the last IF ... END IF block be for 1, instead of 0. After all previous statements put the table in CHANGE mode, right?

I'd re-write the script as follows:

Code:
      if dlg_result = UI_YES_SELECTED
      	nRcd = tbl.recno()
      	nMode = tbl.mode_get()
      	if nMode = 0   ' VIEW MODE
      		tbl.change_begin()
      	        tbl.delete()
      	        tbl.change_end(.t.)
      	end if
      	topparent:Browse2.refresh()
      else	
      	ui_msg_box("Nothing Deleted","User cancelled request for deletion.")
      end if
      Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
        I'm puzzled by all the IF ... END IF code blocks. Why are they necessary?
        Hi Tom,

You're right that they are somewhat unnecessary. Just to be ABSOLUTELY sure that the table was still pointing to the record to be deleted, I put in the extra IF...END IF. With all that happens in Alpha, I wasn't sure that the pointer wouldn't jump from the time of verification to the time of deletion. But that check could be removed as you did.

But in you code, no deletion takes place if the table is in, say, edit mode. For that scenario, my code would still do the delete but would avoid the CHANGE BEGIN and CHANGE END statements. If I didn't do it the way I had set it up, I would at least have informed the user that no deletion took place due to the mode (which could be accomplished with another ELSE and UI_MSG_BOX added to your code).

Clunes: There is no evidence of two parent records with the same linking field. Even if that were trhe case, why would the only duplicate child records be those which have been deleted?

If this only happened while in the session for which the record was deleted, I would look more at resynching the data and the browse. But the "dead" records show up on other machines, after rebooting, etc. So there's something within the set itself which has been adversely affected. Very strange!

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Two quick comments:

1) I never let users delete a record if its in change or enter mode. Perhaps this has become a bit of a blind spot for me. But it's served me well over the years.

2) I don't understand why your code would "end" the change but only if the table was still in "view" mode? It seems to me that if the mode is 0 then you can't "end" the change, after all, no change is pending.

Code:
            if nMode = 0
          		tbl.change_end()    <=======
          	end if

Comment

Tom,

1) I never let users delete a record if its in change or enter mode.
            You mmake sense and I'll probably alter my code in this regard. But as I mentioned above, I will at least give a message to the user as to why the record was not deleted if that is the case.

2) I don't understand why your code would "end" the change but only if the table was still in "view" mode? It seems to me that if the mode is 0 then you can't "end" the change, after all, no change is pending.
            If you look at my code more closely, when nMode = 0, the CHANGE BEGIN statement is executed. That puts it into change mode. That is why I hold the mode in a variable so that it reflects the mode BEFORE THE CHANGE. Hence, at the point where you got those line of code from, if nMode=0 then tbl.mode_get() would return a 1.

While these are notes on coding style, they say nothing about the strange behavior of the set.

Steve
            Last edited by Al Buchholz; 03-14-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I see, thanks.

-- tom

Comment

Mystery MIGHT be solved!

When viewing the child table via default browse there were 15 records for this client, none of which were the "dead" records which repeated. Then upon doing a <tbl>.fetch_next loop through the child table while this client was in focus, one of those records repeated three times! In other words, on three successive hits of <tbl>.fetch_next, the same record number was pointed to. Hmmmm?

Well, upon rebuilding the indices, the "dead" records no longer appeared and all looked well. I can only hope that the problem doesn't resurface when more child records are deleted from within the form based on a set. More testing will prevail tomorrow to see if all is well.

Steve

Comment

Well, so much for the empty hope. It is true that these "dead records" no longer show up upon rebuilding the indices. But a user yesterday said that the problem resurfaced. Upon entering a new child record, three appeared on the screen - two of which could not be selected within the browse. And when viewing the default browse of the set, the same behavior occurs.

Seeing that some other people have resorted to rebuilding forms from scratch when having major problems after upgrading to V10, I'm tempted to do so in this case. I may rebuild the set as well as the form. Also, if I find some time, I may try replicating this on a smaller application with non-sensitive data so that others can see it (and to possibly send in a bug report).

Steve

Comment

Well, I think now that the mystery is solved!

In a separate situation, a report based on a different set was showing a record which didn't appear on the screen. I couldn't delete that child record whatever I tried - operation, script, default browse, etc. Later, I realized that it was, in fact, deleted but still showed up on certain browses and reports. So I added ".NOT.deleted()" to the filter of the report and all went well.

I then suspected deleted child records to be the problem with my original posting. Low and behold, upon going to the properties of the form, selecting "filter/order", and putting in ".NOT.deleted()" for the filter of the child table, the problem seemed to go away. No longer did those "dead" records appear in the embedded browse!

Seemingly, if a child record were deleted in V5, it would never show up on layouts. But in V10, the layouts have to filter them out if the child table has not been packed since the last deletion. Whoa! I will eventually have to enhance the filters of MANY forms and reports because Alpha will not exclude deleted records!

Steve

Comment

That's a good result Steve.
                      Thanks for posting the answer, it may help others, and that's key to the Forum - shared knowledge
                      See our Hybrid Option here;
                      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X