Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Thinks I See Missing from Fields... Design FLAW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinks I See Missing from Fields... Design FLAW?

Basic field defenition on form
    ScreenPrint001.gif
    Everything You see HERE - SHOULD be available AT THE FORM LEVEL (ALL TABS)
    ScreenPrint002.gif

IF a SET has FIELD RULES - they OVERRIDE DATABASE RULES
    IF a FORM has FIELD RULES (WHICH is MISSING) - they OVERRIDE ALL OTHER RULES

HOW do I DEFAULT a value at the FORM LEVEL? Without CODE?

more problems found - v10.5
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14979559/Pro...ieldValues.swf
    Also, I HAVE NO CLUE - how that DATE got in there in the first place (see me copy to clipboard?) it just magically showed up there..
    I hadn't defined it before as it's name WAS DATE - SO that tells me the dictionary or where-ever this information is stored - IS NOT KEEPING up to date - THUS all the problems I am finding with the program..

Had a problem, I THINK because the field in invoice header was DATE - went to put some defaults in the set descriptions of the tables - kept saying field not found DATE
    change field to Inv_Date - realigned all the forms (Shouldn't alpha be able to do this with it's backend?)

anyway, then selecting the invoice_header->inv_date alpha FAILS to put in the file qualifier->

as seen in this example...

BUGGGGGGGY

I THINK it would be nice to access THIS LOW LEVEL FIELD RULES from THE FORM as SHOWN in 1st Attachment..
    #1 - Wouldn't have to have FIELD Defaults at set/table level (actually this would put them there)
    how does this work on a network?
    I REALLY think a form field should have some DEFAULTING/action just like the DATABASE FIELD RULES - it's kinda CRAZY to have to have a set to get different results (or coding, if possible)
    I really have to pick up some books... I'm liking the program, but NOT THE FLAKYNESS - VERY FLAKY..
    I'm seeing I can do alot more with this than Lotus, thus why I purchased.

I really wish ALPHA would look at lotus approach for the simpliciy of
    JOINS Designer (ah brings me to another problem.. I will put up different thread joining on two fields) as alphas - Stinks
    Fill FIELD - right click a column to POPUP the UPDATE Dialog with the field already at the TOP(Selected field to update) and Default Value of Record Sitting on
    SIMPLICITY of IMPORTING
    SIMPLICITY of EXPORTING

AND ABOVE ALL
    FIX a calculated field or make a special FORM FIELD that can contain a value/text that FIRES on CHANGE - if the change is PROGRAMMED, Calculated, or ENTERED

Here is YET ANOTHER BUG...
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14979559/For...aderFooter.swf
    After I removed the FOOTER the code worked perfectly..

Added Header/Footer to FORMS and BROKE THEM.. WOW - Can I get 11.xx to TEST????

ah, YET another BUG
    seems like can't find enough.. (I guess because it's a date field or is it because it's in view mode, then clicking on the field first)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14979559/How...GSCanIFind.swf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by markusof; 03-24-2012, 07:24 AM.

Re: Thinks I See Missing from Fields... Design FLAW?

Originally posted by markusof View Post
    Basic field defenition on form
    Everything You see HERE - SHOULD be available AT THE FORM LEVEL (ALL TABS)
    They must have been thinking of you when they added this feature. http://www.alphafivewiki.com/Form+Le...+in+Version+10

IF a SET has FIELD RULES - they OVERRIDE DATABASE RULES
    From the help labeled Overview of Field Rules
    With sets, you can define and modify Field Rules for all fields in the set's component tables simultaneously. However, the rules defined for each field are stored only at the table level; a set does not have its own Field Rules.
    IF a FORM has FIELD RULES (WHICH is MISSING) - they OVERRIDE ALL OTHER RULES
    Not missing. See link above.

I disagree. If I think a rule concerning my data is important enough to implement at the table(database) level then I don't want any form
    (application level/user interface) messing with that rule.

HOW do I DEFAULT a value at the FORM LEVEL? Without CODE?
    Using the form level field rules as per link above.(which by the way are not only available to table fields but also to variables placed on the form)
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
      They must have been thinking of you when they added this feature. http://www.alphafivewiki.com/Form+Le...+in+Version+10

From the help labeled Overview of Field Rules
      With sets, you can define and modify Field Rules for all fields in the set's component tables simultaneously. However, the rules defined for each field are stored only at the table level; a set does not have its own Field Rules.

Not missing. See link above.
      I know this is GREAT - Found it earlier from email from ALPHA.. Still think defaults should be on the Field Properties - LESS HIDDEN.. (brought into the Field Def Screen) But I also like being able to see them all for the SET.

I disagree. If I think a rule concerning my data is important enough to implement at the table(database) level then I don't want any form
      (application level/user interface) messing with that rule.
      >> Some Rules are OK there, but others are not.. NOW I have to move my lookups OFF the tables, fun fun..
      >> Too good to be true - MISSING from the Table Code on a FIELD RULE is the ORDER of the records.. - Will Report it.. (see the screenshots)
      >> Now I can take that stupid rule off the product_id - ah, there's my product_ID I selected by DESCRIPTION - That IS WEIRD how it displays that, and THAT is why I want a RULE on a SET - cause the SET can USE that for all my invoices, etc... If I want to see the underlying Product_ID - I would created another SET and REMOVE the RULE (You see??)
      Some RULES like REQUIRED etc.. Defaults are OK at the Table Level, but I think there NEEDS to be one at the SET LEVEL as well.
      I'm now revamping the whole invoice system with Field type of TransType "I" for Invoice, "R" for Receipt, "S" for Shipped, "P" for Payment, "Q" for Quality Reject to have ONE HUGE Transaction Database to which to gather ALL information from.
      This will allow tracking partial receipts, payments, rejected items etc.. Per the "M" Item Master, Then I Think I'm going to have to move them to HISTORY after Everything is Closed on the orders, as that table will get HUGE Fast. (this is all SPECULATION, but starting to come together for me)
      Based on the type, my BROWSES will change.. So I guess its NOT a big deal that the tables aren't in order as I SHOULD be able to order them in the browse (I hope)

Using the form level field rules as per link above.(which by the way are not only available to table fields but also to variables placed on the form)
      >> But will it work Properly on BROWSE? - already found another thing on browse - field is there, but I don't want to see it, so I squeeze it out of there, it doesn't fire, doesn't think its there, want it there, but a display width of 0, so I just don't see it
      Invoice detail - want it to populate the product_id (same as alphasports) but I don't want to see the field, I have it filling another description in the items database, so the user can change the description to whatever they want for the item, and not displaying the linked record, because mine is more complicated setup, not just a link on the product_id, but a unique record number.

And they are working on my related tables problem.. ;)
      ScreenPrint005.gif
      ScreenPrint006.gif
      Last edited by markusof; 03-25-2012, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Cannot seem to get field rules to work, missfiring, default the invoice date to date(), needdate to invoice_header->inv_date works sometimes an not others...

MUST be able to set the value of my transaction at the FORM LEVEL, Database I set it to H - Hidden from everypart of the system...
        Durring entry I WANT to default it to "I" Invoice - Doesn't seem to want to do FORM level Defaults to me..

Got the browse to work with the popup of Product - set fields for the desc, price, customer_id - can't set the I there because there is no relation to the PRODUCT database...

I just keep going in circles.. 2 days - not much further than where I was at - FRUSTRATED..
        Last edited by markusof; 03-25-2012, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I must be a GREAT programmer, Alpha keeps telling me I'm exception(al) XBasic in Scripting.. for a Conditional Lookup

Can't seem to set fields in a browse with field rules ;(
          Last edited by markusof; 03-25-2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markusof View Post
            I must be a GREAT programmer, Alpha keeps telling me I'm exception(al) XBasic in Scripting.. for a Conditional Lookup

Can't seem to set fields in a browse with field rules ;(
            everything seems to be working again... so weird - setting defaults in browse etc..
            I REMOVED the REQUIRED field, going to try to put it back in..
            also disabled antivirus..

Comment

Working...
            X