Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Password mask control type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password mask control type

Alpha 5 10.5 desktop

How in the heck to you set the field control to password?

It does not show up in the drop down so why is it even in the "Demonstration of different control Styles" if is not available in the drop down to select that style?

password.png
    Attached Files

Re: Password mask control type.

Don't think you can Preston. The Password example is just what the style looks like.
    If you place a button on a Form and P/wd protect it, the ****** format is displayed.

Put a Dialog - Prompt for Password on the Field Events - I used OnArrive and you will be able to capture the entry as a variable and check it against a table of passwords before allowing data entry.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
      Don't think you can Preston. The Password example is just what the style looks like.
      If you place a button on a Form and P/wd protect it, the ****** format is displayed.

Put a Dialog - Prompt for Password on the Field Events - I used OnArrive and you will be able to capture the entry as a variable and check it against a table of passwords before allowing data entry.

What I am doing is setting up where they can setup user levels to access the app. I guess I could just create a font that would mask the actual passwords they enter. Until then I have found a font that will mask the passwords with little dots. I just find it stupid for Alpha to give a control style example and then have it not available at all.

Using the font method I will just have the installer put the font in their Windows/Fonts directory.

I am thinking I can setup a global variable that will store the logged in users access level and then can be read by the app for areas that are restricted.

Using a password font.
      users.png

Comment

That's a different issue.
        You need a dialog which works with the security aspects.

Comment

Preston,

I take it you are building your own security system. May I ask why you don't just use the security system that is part of Alpha Five? I have used it in the past and it worked fine for what you appear to be trying to do.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
            Preston,

I take it you are building your own security system. May I ask why you don't just use the security system that is part of Alpha Five? I have used it in the past and it worked fine for what you appear to be trying to do.

Raymond Lyons
            Probably because with my limited newbie knowledge of Alpha and total CFS in the wiki, my only understanding of the Alpha security system is that I must pre-configure passwords and there is no user level associated with it. You either have the password to open a form or you do not and it would have to be a password I hard coded in.

I need them to be able to setup however many users they want and control what they can and cannot do with access levels of some sort. If the built in Alpha security can do that then I am totally clueless on how to set it up.

Comment

You can do all this Preston using the built in facilities. If you search on Security, I posted an example. You can restrict almost anything at User/Table/Form level and easily have update and view only options.
              Also, if you search password change, I asked the very question you have asked and got a super piece of code which asks for a new password when you log in first time. It would be easy to add a 30 day change feature.
              If you want an example send me a PM and I'll respond with a V10.5 suggestion for you to explore.

Edit. Apologies, I meant to say "Belay post #4. I read the response on my Ipod and forgot the magnifying glass. I now understand what you need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                You can do all this Preston using the built in facilities. If you search on Security, I posted an example. You can restrict almost anything at User/Table/Form level and easily have update and view only options.
                Also, if you search password change, I asked the very question you have asked and got a super piece of code which asks for a new password when you log in first time. It would be easy to add a 30 day change feature.
                If you want an example send me a PM and I'll respond with a V10.5 suggestion for you to explore.

Edit. Apologies, I meant to say "Belay post #4. I read the response on my Ipod and forgot the magnifying glass. I now understand what you need to do.
                I will send you a PM then. I searched for security with your user name as part of the search criteria but still did not see how the built in would work for what I need. I did see that big list aschone posted the link for. http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp..._Functions.htm

I think I will create a simple test app to play with this and see if I can figure anything out. I do not want to accidentally mess up my actual app that I have been working on for months.

Comment

As Ted said (and I implied), you can do what you want (and more) with the the A5 security system, though as a self described "newbie" it may be a bit of a task. The one I did was done many years ago but still works with v10.5. The one I did had some screwy aspects to it (e.g., a table with some extra data in it, including the users initials) such that the user setup had to be custom built with some UDF's of my own. Plus I wanted the boss to be able to see and do everything at a glance, so I did an xdialog for him (could now be improved, but that's always true!).

Anyway, below is a screen shot of my xdialog. Note that all the users in a group have a certain security level--can do some things, are stopped from doing others. The autoexec would define the needed global variables and get the current user name.
                  Code:
                  vg_u_name=User_name()
                  Logon_Group_String= User_Groups()
                  Then wherever one needs to restrict access I just did something like:
                  Code:
                  If Containsi(Logon_Group_String,"Underwriters")=.t. .or. Containsi(Logon_Group_String,"Funders")=.t.
                     Bang
                  else
                     msgbox("No_Bang!")
                  end if
                  You can also use passwords in various ways to compliment all this (note that Action Script created xdialogs have a password mask like what you were looking for). My system is probably a bit more complex than you would ever need (plus being a bit on the crude side!), so I would take advantage of Ted's offer to have him send his example to you for study.

Raymond Lyons
                  Attached Files

Comment

Raymond,

Could I possible get an example of what you used to create that? Is so I may be able to study it and get the concept thru my thick skull.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by preston View Post
                      Raymond,

Could I possible get an example of what you used to create that? Is so I may be able to study it and get the concept thru my thick skull.
                      Partly because you describe yourself as a "newbie" I am reluctant to give you the code behind the screen shot in my previous post. It is complex and obscure enough (500+ lines) that I think it would probably just confuse and discourage you. Plus I am quite sure you can do what you need to do with just a few of the standard A5 security functions. So I recommend that you study the Help File for security and then build a test database (not your real one at this point) with security turned on and play with it. Just remember, you can create as many Groups as you need, with each having a different level of access based being a member of a particular group. Then on buttons, forms, fields, scripts etc. you can restrict access to members of whichever groups you like. And don't forget, in many cases it is easier to just implement a password and control access that way.

And don't forget, Ted offered to share something with you--take him up on it.

Below is a screen shot of my local Help File on Desktop Security functions, all of which you should take a look at.

Raymond Lyons
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                        Partly because you describe yourself as a "newbie" I am reluctant to give you the code behind the screen shot in my previous post. It is complex and obscure enough (500+ lines) that I think it would probably just confuse and discourage you. Plus I am quite sure you can do what you need to do with just a few of the standard A5 security functions. So I recommend that you study the Help File for security and then build a test database (not your real one at this point) with security turned on and play with it. Just remember, you can create as many Groups as you need, with each having a different level of access based being a member of a particular group. Then on buttons, forms, fields, scripts etc. you can restrict access to members of whichever groups you like. And don't forget, in many cases it is easier to just implement a password and control access that way.

And don't forget, Ted offered to share something with you--take him up on it.

Below is a screen shot of my local Help File on Desktop Security functions, all of which you should take a look at.

Raymond Lyons
                        Well I can understand your reluctance as I am a newbie to Alpha. I used to write programs in Turbo Pascal years back. Does that count for anything?
                        If not I will just tackle it my way and do it without the built in Alpha security. I know I can do that.

Comment

Working...
                        X