Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dynamic Buttons on Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Buttons on Form

I need some assistance, I don't know if this is possible. I am designing an event signup program for my church. We do a lot of different events throughout the year and require people to sign up for the events so we know who is coming or bringing something. I could do this easily if i was managing the program, however I will not be. This need to be able to be used by anyone without knowledge of the programming of the software. This will be a touch screen kiosk application and I can get that part of it I think.
    Here is my problem....I have a table of events the administrator will enter. Some will be active and others not. Some will require additional information to be entered by the person signing up. What I would like is for a form to display buttons of the events that are active for the person to select an event to sign up for.
    For example if the events table has 10 events, and 5 are active, the form would display 5 buttons- one with each event as the name on the button. The buttons would be dynamically created and populated by the information in the table. If the administrator changes more or less events to be active then the form would change the buttons accordingly. So if the table is changed to 10 active, the form would show 10 buttons.
    I can create a browse to do this but it is not aesthetically pleasing or easy to use for a touch screen kiosk setting.
    Is this dynamic button idea possible?
    I would like to be pointed in the right direction and possible some code examples if it is possible.

BTW: I have looked at online software already designed to to event signups, they do not do exactly what we are looking for.

Re: Dynamic Buttons on Form

If the maximum number of active events will never change ( and I think that unlikely myself ) you could put that number of buttons in the form and hide or show them as needed.

A better solution would be to use an embedded browse, arranging the vertical height of each row appropriately. You can put buttons in each row. If memory serves you don't need to show the grid lines either.

Comment

Like I said, I could do the brows option but I prefer not to go that route if possible.

Comment

Sorry, did not hear you say you considered buttons inside browses. I have no other suggestions for you.

Comment

Greg,
          What I would like is for a form to display buttons of the events that are active for the person to select an event to sign up for.
          If I am a member and intend to sign on the event ,
          (1) I will look for what type, when or name of the event.
          (2) Confirm the event is right or not before sign
          (3) sign up a event, -- expect the confirmation of the registration from church admin.
          (4) close or next more

I think you may have the trouble to keep up the event button's code whenever changed the event. If user find too many option/busy buttons, may have difficulty to find right one.

Comment

How about making each button conditional depending on if it is active or not. There may be some holes on the form, but it should work properly.

Tom

Comment

We usually don't have more then say 5 events at a time so the number of buttons would be limited and be able to fit on one screen. The issue is we have some reoccurring events which I could program in as conditional objects but when we have new events that we haven't done before are added. I can not be burdened by needing to be the one who recreated the form and code every time. We do not have programming savvy people to do this either. So I was hoping that if there was some way the buttons could be created by the software based on a table of active events. This way the form only shows the active events.
              I may have to be the event administrator for this application and code all the events, but I really didn't want to go there. It would be nice if buttons could be created dynamically by like xbasic code or something.
              I just don't have the ability or time to search everywhere for the solution and I know there are a lot more knowledgeable people on here who may have done something similar who would be able to at least point me in the direction I need to look.

Comment

I just don't have the ability or time to search everywhere for the solution and
                Then what do I?

Comment

It would be nice if buttons could be created dynamically by like xbasic code or something.
                  WHO is going to write the xbasic??

If you base the conditional objects on whether an event is active or not, then they will appear or not depending on being active. When you open the "Menu" form, read the event table, determine if an event is flagged as "Active", then the appropriate button will appear for the specific event. The trick is to have code under these buttons that is generic enough to be suitable for any of your event types.

Tom

Comment

Look up forum questions on dynamic menus. Solutions and examples have been posted in many flavours.
                    See if that idea grabs you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Henkel View Post
                      WHO is going to write the xbasic??

If you base the conditional objects on whether an event is active or not, then they will appear or not depending on being active. When you open the "Menu" form, read the event table, determine if an event is flagged as "Active", then the appropriate button will appear for the specific event. The trick is to have code under these buttons that is generic enough to be suitable for any of your event types.

Tom
                      Hi Tom,
                      This was my thought as well. But instead of conditional objects, you could create buttons on the form that have a blank text property then use the 'event name' table to populate as many buttons with text as you have active events. The generic code for the button would use this text property to execute a command to open a form or whatever he wants once he knows the name of the event. The other buttons could then be hidden that remain blank - all in the OnInit event for the form. So each time the form is opened or perhaps even activated the script could be used to refresh the buttons. Dynamic.settings gave me the idea... In fact the buttons themselves needn't do anything more than pass the event name to a variable and push one hidden hotspot to do the rest.

Think it would work?
                      Last edited by MoGrace; 04-10-2013, 11:36 PM.
                      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Yes, there are any number of ways to do what he wants. Again, WHO is going to put the code under the buttons?

Tom

Comment

I had a thought on my own idea and would like to know if this is a possible solution. Everything has code behind it, so if i create a button, get the code and then use that code changing some things to variables in the code to get the correct info from the table and then put that into a read table loop. This hypothetically would create the button with the correct info. One variable would also control the position of the button to be created. Do any of you think this is logic is possible?

Greg

Comment

Here is a visual example of the button form in design mode showing 6 buttons laid out and the same form once loaded showing only the 5 buttons that have active events displaying -
                            with the OnInit event script for the form. Each Button's OnPush event can then load a form relevant to the text diplayed by a lookup to the events table.

The tables I used for this example are not ready for upload yet - maybe tomorrow...
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MoGrace; 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM.
                            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi Greg,
                              This will be a touch screen kiosk application and I can get that part of it I think.
                              I have created a touch screen app for a restaurant which I'm sure can be adapted to your needs. It is too big to be uploaded here. If you would like to email me direct maybe we could get this to fit your requirements.
                              Regards
                              Keith Hubert
                              Alpha Guild Member
                              London.
                              KHDB Management Systems
                              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                              X