Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

go to record# function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

go to record# function

Hi all,

I'm working on a form that allows the user to scan a worknumber which takes them to that record number. My old form did this by retrieving the record number and going to that record via lookup function.

This new form, includes the parent records on the top (ship to company, customer, etc). The idea is that you batch ship for each customer then move to the next customer. I'd like the functionality to stay the same but I cant get the lookup to work, the "go to record" function is focusing on the parent table. Is there a way to direct this function to the records in the child browse?

I've attached a screen shot for reference. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
    ship.JPG

Thanks!

Re: go to record# function

What's the relationship between the (what looks like) two browses on a form?
    You say "scan a worknumber which takes them to that record number" in what table and which part of the form related to that?

Needs some clearer explanation of content tables in this snapshot, and then what you want to happen in that context.

Can you do that?

Comment

recno("mychildtbl") will return the record number of the record in the child table browse which has focus
      Assign that value to a variable then pass it to your lookup function
      dir rNbr as N
      rNbr = recno("mychildtbl")

Hope that points you in the right direction
      Nick Lawson
      cdc-TakeCharge
      Web Site:www.cdc-takecharge.com
      Video Blog: www.youtube.com/user/cdcTaleCharge
      How To Blog: cdctahecharge.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by hov333 View Post
        This new form, includes the parent records on the top (ship to company, customer, etc). The idea is that you batch ship for each customer then move to the next customer. I'd like the functionality to stay the same but I cant get the lookup to work, the "go to record" function is focusing on the parent table. Is there a way to direct this function to the records in the child browse?
        No. The topparent.recno_goto(recordnumber) will only address the parent table. That question being able to be answered directly, and being said, I am not clear on what you are actually trying to do. You will need to be a bit more exacting/detailed in your description of what you want the action to be, for more help or a different solution.
        John Michaels
        "The only thing needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - great quote but probably not Sir Edmund Burke

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. To clarify, the browse at the top is the parent (customer list). The browse below it is the items belonging to the customer. The worknum field is a variable which will allow the user to input the worknumber for the item and the browse will navigate to that item.

Comment

Is this individual tables or is there some sort of set involved?

Comment

Hi Tom, this form is designed on my set where the Customer table is the parent and the items is the child. I'm trying to figure out an alternative to topparent.recno_goto() to point to the desired record in my child table (embedded browse). Any suggestion?

Comment

When you have the form open, is it "on" the parent record? When you scan the work number, does this bring you to the customer record?

If either of these is true, by the definition of a set, you should have the child items in the associated browse. Is that not happening?

Tom

Comment

well the point is that the work number is a field in the child table which is where I want to be navigating, not at the parent level.

Comment

If you have the current parent in focus for the needed child records, the following will find the needed child record. This should work OK as long as the number of child records is not very large. Be sure to have the field names for the work number for the scan field and the child table work number field correct (in red in script). Also assure the field types and variable scopes are correct (character vs numeric). You can put this on a form button or maybe the field event for the scanned work number field.

Code:
                    'get the scanned work number
                    	dim vn_work_number as N
                    	vn_work_number=topparent.work_number.value

'loop through the child table evaluating the work number in the table with the scanned number
                    	dim valert as C=""
                    	dim tch as p
                    	tch=table.get("proj_prices")
                    	while .not. tch.fetch_eof()
                    		if tch.work_nbr=vn_work_number
                    			valert="Record found - "+ vn_work_number
                    			exit while
                    		end if
                    	tch.fetch_next()
                    	end while
                    	if valert=""
                    		valert="Record Number - "+vn_work_number+"  - not found"
                    	end if
                    		ui_modeless_dlg_box("Work Number",<<%dlg%
                    		{lf};
                    		{text=50valert};
                    		{lf};
                    		%dlg%)
                    		sleep(2)
                    		ui_modeless_dlg_close("Work Number")
                    	end if
                    Last edited by john michaels; 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM.
                    John Michaels
                    "The only thing needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - great quote but probably not Sir Edmund Burke

Comment

John, right now im scripting using a button. Is there a way to fire it when the user enters it into the "scan worknumber" type-in field? I don't want to put it on change of the field...

Comment

well the point is that the work number is a field in the child table which is where I want to be navigating, not at the parent level.
                        That maybe so but in a set based form you only have the child records available that belong to the parent record. So you have to first navigate (by find or query) to the correct parent then navigate within the resultant child records.

To repeat Tom Henkel's question. When you have the form open and you scan the worknumber are you already on the correct parent or do you want the search process to bring up the correct customer as well

John, right now im scripting using a button. Is there a way to fire it when the user enters it into the "scan worknumber" type-in field? I don't want to put it on change of the field...
                        How are you currently triggering the process in the 'old form'
                        Tim Kiebert
                        Eagle Creek Citrus
                        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

What I believe everyone is saying is that the ability to work with and address child records, the parent of that child must first be in focus. Then you can address the child records. This is what prompts Tim's (and Tom's) question..

Originally posted by Tim Kiebert View Post
                          When you have the form open and you scan the worknumber are you already on the correct parent or do you want the search process to bring up the correct customer as well.
                          I'm guessing this answers Tim's question on how you are currently doing it. Can it be done with a field rule field event? I don't have a scanner to test how an entry by scanner might work. Sorry. You might play with the table level field rules and see what you can make happen.
                          Last edited by Mike Wilson; 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM.
                          Mike W

Comment

We use scanners for our File Room Retrieval system as well as our Supply room. The scanners can be programmed with prefix and suffix characters to initiate an action in alpha such as a find.

Tom

Comment

The customer (parent) will be initially selected by the user by clicking on the record in the browse at the top of the form. Once on this parent, the scanned number should navigate to the correct child via worknumber.

Tom, very interesting, I hadn't heard of this. Any particular scanner that you can recommend? Ours is a basic wireless scanner at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X