Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Field Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Mapping

I am writing an app to run in the A5 run-time. Currently V 10.5

My customers will be presented, by their customer, a file containing information about the inventory of their customers' store...item numbers, descriptions, prices, etc.
    The file could be any number of data formats (Text, Excel, DBF, etc.). And the field names, if they are present at all, will not match anything in my app.
    There is no way to know in advance anything of the data they will receive from their customer

I need a way that my customers can import that data into an existing table in my app.
    They are not computer savvy and, since it is a run-time, the standard import is not available.

A few years back someone helped me in a similar situation but the scripts and such were password protected and he wouldn't give me the password.
    While grateful for the help solving the immediate problem, I really didn't learn anything from it.

Ideally, if someone has some code or scripts available to do this sort of thing, I can dig into that and learn how to do it by tweaking their code to my situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Field Mapping

If by "standard import" you mean the import wizard - then its easy for you to take a sample of each client's clients' file , make an import and save the resulting xbasic code, named appropriately in a function or script.

Comment

I don't have access to a runtime machine at the moment. What happens in the runtime if you have a button with the code

a5_importasciigenie()

?
      There can be only one.

Comment

If I know what the structure of the data is, I can easily create an import and then have a button to make it work.

The trouble is that my customers need to be able to import the data without my help or have a pre-defined import button.
        Many of my customers are "Computer-Challenged". Even basic things like Windows-Explorer or file naming confuses some of them.

It was already done once before on a password protected script on a previous app.

Comment

Yes John
          I do understand that there was a script as you describe.
          I also understand the technical shortfalls of clients. Besides, its not their job. That is why you and I exist in this business.
          It would have quite an accomplished set of well tested complex codes - and provide understandable options to the client when alternative possibilities exist.
          Probably explains why it was password protected.
          You could possibly however follow what I described earlier, get eyes on each only once. Easier and probably just as (or more) financially viable, than trying to develop a catch-all without the necessary programming skills and time.
          Only my practical advice - which may be out of place not knowing your capabilities at all. So said with respect.

Comment

import1.jpgimport1-b.jpgimport2.jpgimport3.jpgimport3-b.jpg

Stan,

the import ascii genie brings up the import genie as you'd expect. Thanks.

I think this is a bit confusing to my customers. I've attached some screen shots of the password protected app that might illustrate what they are using now and how it's simpler for them to use.

You'll notice two of the screens are shown as they first appear and then after a file or the fields are selected.

Comment

Ray,

no offense taken. I appreciate your input.

My customers are often given these files at the last minute and there's no way for me or anyone else to be available for them at the exact moment they need it. They might need it any hour of any day.
              The odds greatly increase that they will need it at just the moment when I'm overworked the most.

Comment

John
                That looks a lot like an import genie. The same questions are required for both.

If your clients use that one already they could probably handle the Alpha genie , no?
                It's no more complex than that one, once the browsing , saving stuff is removed.

I would use the xbasic code and modify it to automate the lookup, testing and final destination of the data for them in there.
                Back to what Stan suggested.
                Make your own home grown version.

Comment

John,

In my view its not reasonable for your clients to expect you to be able to import any number of records from any number of related data stores, of varying data formats, with or without fieldnames or datatypes. Surely there are some parameters that could be used to narrow the huge range of possibilities your initial post suggests. Maybe it would be productive to find out what specific data formats are possible or preferred from the customers of your customers.

Comment

The situation is this; my customers' customer will give them a file and say "make this work". They don't care what needs to be done to make everything go.
                    The control over the format of the file is even further beyond control. That's the venue of the POS (cash register) system and they are notorious for not cooperating with 3rd parties.

Even if I can, somehow, train my clients to do the imports, they have to train their employees.

There are some standard data formats and I will add import buttons to the form to handle those. The trouble is that there are, literally, a thousand different systems out there and variations between versions within the same systems.

Every A5 developer is a database person, but databases freak out a lot of people. The A5 import is intimidating to them and requires them to understand the data format they are given
                    whereas the password protected script that I've been using lets them play with the data until it looks right.

I do have an idea that I'd like to test to see if I can make this go.
                    Is there a way that I can pre-set some of the parameters of the import genie (through XBasic maybe?) Specifically, to import into a new table and, hopefully select the table name as well ?

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but been doing import for awhile(hate it). I have one table built just for this. It is built so the user can click a button to import data to this table. Once imported, the user can check the data for correctness and go on from there.
                      Since there is little of the imports and the data types are know(there are 3 file types), there are 3 buttons to accomodate.

I am not sure at all how to import anything like what you are suggesting. Possible a script to figure out what the file type is would be a start? Then choosing a premade script to do the import?
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Is there a way that I can pre-set some of the parameters of the import genie (through XBasic maybe?) Specifically, to import into a new table and, hopefully select the table name as well ?
                        You can capture the xbasic of an import operation you have designed to import into a new table. You can then modify the code as necessary....

import_filename = filename_decode("c:\temp\salesrpt.csv")
                        could be
                        import_filename = ui_get_file("File to import","CSV(*.csv)|DAT(*.dat)|TXT(*.txt)","C:\temp\\","X")

and
                        import_destination_table = "h:\executive\hdb\sls_mast.dbf"
                        could be
                        import_destination_table = ui_get_file("New table name","DBF(*.dbf)","C:\temp\data\\","N")+".dbf"
                        import_destination_table = strtran(import_destination_table,".dbf.dbf",".dbf") 'if user enters .dbf remove it
                        There can be only one.

Comment

That gives me some good code to start with. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X