Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

version 11 can't find database only workspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

version 11 can't find database only workspace

How do I get version 11 to open version 7 database. The only option I have is workspace. When I navigate to the directory where the database is it doesn't see it as it's only looking for workspace. version 7 options were for databases not workspaces. Tried creating new workspace in that directory, but when I open that new workspace it is empty, it doesn't see the database files.

Re: version 11 can't find database only workspace

Whether V11 uses the term workspace or database is just a matter of terminology. If the your_database_name.adb file is present then Alpha should be able to see and open it.

Image 5.png

When you create a new workspace or database it is empty. You have to add tables and sets to the new database before they are part of it.
    There can be only one.

Comment

.To be clear, I did find an option to open a single dbf file. But it does not load all the files for the entire application I had been using in v7 in the directory.

Comment

How do I open my application and all of it's files from v7 in v11.

Comment

The definition of what tables and sets comprise a database, along with global scripts, functions, etc is stored in three files.

your_database_name.adb
          your_database_name.alx
          your_database_name.alm

https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...le%20Types.xml

To open a database in A5V7 or A5V11 those files must be present.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Sorry to be such a pain. Those files are indeed in the directory of the old application. I cannot get the old application to load. I had it in a workspace when I first started v11. But I have no idea how I got it into it. I just need it for reference to rebuild the new application. I have a workable set rebuilt with my old data as well as a statement report, invoice report and a data entry form. But I want to rebuild the whole application and need to be able to look back to see how I did everything. It's been 25 years or more with minor tweaks as I migrated to newer versions. Starting from scratch will take me months of trial and error.

Comment

The first step is to open Alpha Five and use the File menu, Open Workspace.

step 1.png

You will be presented with the opportunity to select a workspace.

step 2.png

You then navigate to the directory where your .adb resides.

step 3.png

At that point you can select the .adb and click the open button or just double click on it.
              There can be only one.

Comment

When I click on the adb file I get an error message.

Comment

the error message reads "could not open or create multiuser information file c:\program files\a5v7\d&p\invoices.muf" The invoices.muf is in the directory

Comment

That error is a permissions error. It means the logged in user doesn't have the permissions defined in Windows to open or create a file in the

c:\program files\a5v7\d&p\ directory.

I'm not a big fan of punctuation in path names other then the occasional underscore. The ampersand may be causing Alpha problems and might be the cause of the permissions error.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

2 things spring to mind... Program Files is a Windows protected directory so Alpha may not have write access, secondly an & in a file path is not a good idea. Suggext you move the whole d&p directory out of program files into a user folder e,g, My Documents and rename it something like DandP

Comment

Eureka!!! I moved the files to different directory clicked on the adb file and all is well. I can take it from here. Thank you so, so, so, much!

Comment

Rename your intermediate directory to d_p or something similar and see if the error goes away.

The path would look something like

c:\program files\a5v7\d_p\invoices.muf
                          There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                          X