Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Create Install Package Fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Install Package Fails

Has anyone else had problems with A5V11 trying to create a runtime install package ? My A5V11, whether I'm doing app files only or all files, "Alpha 5 has stopped working."

Any clues or insight would be helpful.

Lar

Re: Create Install Package Fails

Hi Larry, I have this same problem.

Can someone please help here.
    Thank you.

Comment

I have had one issue, the launch icon didn't locate to the desktop.
      Have you got the same versions of Runtime and development? That is important.
      The latest version is supposed to be solid, so suggest downloading and installing.
      When Alpha is creating the new Rt environment, you will get a blank screen. Takes about 30 seconds using an 8gig Ssd I5 processor. Quick it ain't. Give it more time.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted, yes I have same versions of Developer and Runtime (both v11) installed. Strange thing is that it works perfectly ok sometimes, but cannot explain why on other times it repeatidly decides to bring up the "Alpha 5 is now closing" message before throwing me out of the system.
        It always seems to happen after I modify things in the application.

Comment

Larry/Fred, just tried creating an install following download and install of the latest V11 patches to RT and Dev.
          The Icon goes onto the Desktop, and the application runs OK.

You might want to save the install profile/project options so that they are the same next time you run it.

The app I tried it on is really tiny - just one form and one table with 2 fields. It took about 1 minute, so you may experience a timeout.
          What version of Windows are you both on?

Comment

Ah Ha!
            Think I have the answer.
            It is advisable to Refresh the Run Time Zip File.
            This is necessary if you have run a Registry Cleaner and NOT run the Runtime version since then.
            I tend to open the RT first as this is stored in the recent access area.

Having said that, I now have additional errors, so I'll do more sleuthing.
            Nope. My sausage fingers. Install builds and deploys as expected.

Comment

Hi Ted, thanks for your efforts mate.

Are you getting the "Alpha 5 is now closing" message before throwing you out of the system. ?

Fred

Comment

Nope, it all goes to completion Fred. No failure anywhere along the line.

Suggest you try the Install maker on a very simple one table application with one form and a custom menu.
                I presume after "changing things", you test the changes to make sure that the app still works OK and run a Workspace Compact before trying to create an Install?

Is the app something you can share?

If a simple one works, a more complex one should.

Comment

Hi Ted, the same problem occurs in my other applications also.
                  I will try out on a new simple one later tonight.

Never had a problem until installing v11. All the latest patches have been installed.
                  v10 worked great and I never once had a problem.
                  What Operating system are you using Ted ?. I am Win 7 (32 bit) on this one.

Comment

I'm on Win7 64 bit.
                    The problem might well be where you have put V10 and V11 when you loaded them.
                    I had issues with both when I let Alpha decide where to put the applications. The default is C and Program Files (X86).
                    This is not the best place as Win7 doesn't like programmes changing data in the official Program Files and (X86) files.

Suggestion. This applies to both V11 and V10.5.

Put the Dev version into its own folder on the C drive root.
                    Do the same with the Runtime.

Run Runtime in compatibility mode to check it out. The response will probably be XP SP3.
                    Open Dev in compatibility mode to check it out. The response will probably be XP SP3 as well.

Run both as Administrator and close them.
                    Try the install maker again.

I had no end of trouble when Alpha was on the C drive, although it's very fast being an SSD for other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X