Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Create Shadow DB - not copying files to workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Shadow DB - not copying files to workstation

I've installed the runtime. Opened a5runtime, select open db, navigate to app on server, open it. Network optimize: Select the local dummy app with same name to save as. The progress window opens then closes, but nothing is copied over.
    Any ideas as to what is happening?
    Thanks.
    Ernie

Re: Create Shadow DB - not copying files to workstation

Opened a5runtime, select open db, navigate to app on server, open it. Network optimize:
    You shouldn't be able to Network Optimize while running the runtime, only the developer version can Network Optimize.
    There can be only one.

Comment

1 do u have permission set on server?
      2 did you make sure where the copied files went( maybe where you thouht, but under shadow)?
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Stan,
        from the help file:
        "Load the Alpha Five runtime or full version (whichever you plan to use) on your workstation."
        Ernie

Comment

ernie
          I think you did it mostly right, but need to trace the steps/do it again.

open rt
          navigate to adb on server
          open
          go to tools/ network optimize
          create new shadow
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
            Logged in as administrator. Still no luck. How about just copying the needed files??? Or is there some internal workings going on.
            Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by enstorms View Post
              Stan,
              from the help file:
              "Load the Alpha Five runtime or full version (whichever you plan to use) on your workstation."
              Ernie
              Yeah, I misspoke. I was thinking of only being able to Network Optimize with the shared database on the server open. Once optimized you can only Refresh Shadow with the shadow database open.

Senior moment.
              There can be only one.

Comment

What is the path to which you are trying to Network Optimize?
                There can be only one.

Comment

You don't need to optimise the Dummy App Ernie. Go straight to the application and Optimise.
                  See our Hybrid Option here;
                  https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                  You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

You can't refresh until you create the shadow.
                    Yo0u may have the whole app on a work station, but you still must create that shadow.
                    When you do, you will have the option of which folder to install it too. Be a bit careful here because alpha will have it in a folder benieth what you think named "shadow".
                    Alpha will copy all the files needed, save the path to server files, create what it needs. You may need to make a list of files to enter in the install that is beyond what alpha would usually do.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Sorry if I am being abrupt! Had hip replaced friday, in hospital and was on my way out the door for mri when i sent the first response.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks to all for help. I did get it fixed and not sure if this is what the cause was. I re-installed app on the server, I believe, because the creating of the shadow was not working. After doing some looking at the folder where it was installed, it actually created a sub-folder to install in. That was my mistake in selection. So decided to just uninstall the whole shebang and start over. And that seemed to do the trick. Also not sure why the instructions say to create a Dummy app with the same name. This is not necessary to create the shadow.
                        Thanks again for all the input.
                        Ernie

Comment

Yea, Ernie. The instructions that come with the runtime download talks about creating a 'dummy' app. That confuses me. Such a dummy app is not even mentioned in Jay Talbot's video where he discusses installing a desktop app on a network. Neither is it mentioned here: http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Alpha+...untime+License

Below is my understanding about how to do it. Please confirm if I understand it correctly. Also, can you correct me where I seem to be off?

First some definitions (just to be clear)...
                          1. Runtime: this is a stripped down version of Alpha Five. Also it is 'raw' or 'naked' in the sense that it is not yet built into an install package with my database application.

2. Runtime version of my app: This is the same as number 1 above, except that it is now associated with my database app in an install package.

3. Developer version: The version of Alpha 5 that I used to develop my app.

Assuming that my definitions above make some sense, the following is my understanding of how to install my desktop A5 app on a networked share drive (application server):

Step 1. Create an install package of the A5 runtime (using v11) and the A5 db application that I developed. I should include ALL of the files in my application folder. This will be the Master Copy.

Step 2. Install the Master Copy on my network share drive.

Step 3. Install the 'naked' A5 runtime (without my application files) onto the workstations (connected to the network share drive).

Step 4. Launch the 'naked' A5 runtime on a workstation, and start the network optimization procedure. This will 'pull' the non-data files (i.e. make shadow copy of app) onto the workstation, thereby optimizing the network. Repeat this step for each workstation.

Step 5. (Optional) Also install a developer version of A5 onto the network server. This will allow me to easily make changes to my application right on the server. These changes will be 'pushed' to the shadow copies on the workstations (if I change the version number).

Note: There seems to be a possible downside to placing a development version on the server. That is, unless the end-users are somehow prevented from launching the developer version, someone might be tempted to use this full version to make unauthorized changes to the application.

I will stop here for now. Do I appear to understand the process? Thanks.

Jim

Comment

Sorry. It looks like I posted this in the wrong (V10) forum. I am using V11. However, my post is still relevant, I believe.

Jim
                            Last edited by Al Buchholz; 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM. Reason: thread moved to v11 desktop

Comment

Well, I'm using a5 ver.10.5. Got moved into v11 forum, but probably the same as far as this goes. The Runtime is basically the same as the developers version, but without the capability to make changes to the app. What goes on the server is the app files only, no runtime. The rest seems to be the way it works. Still getting my head around the whole thing. I have noticed that the Shadow copy created by the Network optimization grays out the option to network optimize the shadow under the Tools menu. Was trying to see what the version number was.
                              Ernie

Comment

Working...
                              X