Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Concurrent access to multiple workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concurrent access to multiple workspaces

Not exactly.

Code:
    Directory Functions 

Alpha Five provides the following Directory functions and methods.

Function or Method

Description

A5.GET_EXE_PATH()
     V5
     Returns the path of the Alpha Five executable.

A5.GET_MASTER_PATH()
     V5
     Returns the path of the master database from which the current shadow database was derived.

A5.GET_MASTER_NAME()
     V5
     Returns the path of the master database from which the current shadow database was derived.

A5.GET_PATH()
     V5
     Returns the path of the currently open .ADB database file. It is a useful function when you want to make an application portable between computers.

A5.GET_PRIVATE_PATH()
     V5
     Returns the current user's local path. This is where the queries that the user runs get stored.

A5.GET_SHARED_PATH()
     V5
     Returns the shared Alpha Five path. This is where the help files and executables for Alpha Five are stored.

A5_GET_WRITABLE_DRIVES()
     V5
     Returns a list of writable drives.

A5_IS_PATH_VALID()
     V5
     Determines whether a directory exists.

COPY_FOLDER()
     V6
     Copies all of the files in the Source_Folder to the Target_Folder.

DIR_CREATE()
     V5
     Creates the directory specified by Directory Name.

DIR_CREATE_RECURSE()
     V5
     Creates a folder, creating as many subfolders as Necessary.

DIR_GET()
     V5
     Returns a string containing the current working directory.

DIR_REMOVE_RECURSE()
     V5
     Recursively removes directories and files from the current directory and its child directories.

DIR_PUT()
     V5
     Changes the current working directory to the specified Directory Name.

DIR_REMOVE()
     V5
     Removes the directory specified by Directory Name.

DIR_REMOVE_RECURSE()
     V5
     Recursively deletes the starting directory and all files and directories below it.

<FILEFIND>.IS_DIRECTORY()
     V5
     Returns .T. if the file referenced by the <FILEFIND> object pointer is a directory.

FILE.COPY_FOLDER()
     V6
     Copies all files and subfolders from Source_Folder to Target_Folder.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Sam, how about a compromise of sorts. What about building a very simple 1-table, 1-form database. The form open when the database is opened, and it has 3 buttons on it.

1st button does an A5_load() of your retail database.

2nd button does an A5_load of your wholesale database.

3rd button does an A5_close().

In each of your other 2 databases, add 2 buttons to the main menu screen. One does an A5_load of the Main "Calling" database, the other does an A5_load of the other database.

Simple and elegant. It does exactly what you need.

Tom

Comment

Sam,

It is wonderful that alpha allows so much in different ways people work.

Yes, it is not a walk in the park to change an app to allow for differences! It may not be so hard as you think though.

Most are not faulting/judging you in any way for sticking to your guns. It is a better way(most opinions) to get your applications into a better way for the future. It is less work to keep up if it is all in one. YES, it is more work to get it set up.

I liked version one also, but version 3 was my favorite.

My app worked similar in alpha 4 to what it is now.

I do know that you can open 2(or more) adb's with alpha at the same time. I sometimes work on 2 or 3 apps and have them all open on the desktop at the same time.

My race car app is opened by the users 2 times or more because the have more that one race car. They need to be open so the work being done on one can be put in as another is also being put in.

Download it here. This is not exactly what you are trying to do, but similar. Yes I will give you the password stuff.
        If your wholesale merchandise is the same as the retail merchandise, then one app is all that is needed, but It is up to you as to how you want it done.

By the way, I still prefer to call them directories too.

Any assistance I can give, call me or email me and I will go much further. I am currently working on a VERY large project in another atmosphere than alpha, so my time on the forum is really limited.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
          Sam,

I do know that you can open 2(or more) adb's with alpha at the same time. I sometimes work on 2 or 3 apps and have them all open on the desktop at the same time.
          By the way, I still prefer to call them directories too.
          Dave, thanks so much for your post and your offers. I can't review your application at present because I'm very much under the gun to complete my V1 - V11 migration

It's been a rather pleasant experience, I'll admit. I feared the differences between the old and new Xbasics but it really hasn't been all that tough, thanks largely to the help given me by this forum.

I am very eager to complete my understanding of "workspaces", multiple ADBs, and especially understanding how workspaces can communicate with one another to present a seamless interface. Right as we speak, Dave, I've got two A5 shortcuts on my desktop to bring up my Retail and Wholesale workspaces. (Thanks to Stan Mathews for introducing me to the Shortcut Genie.) I've been encouraged by Tom Henkel to at least look into managing my two workspaces within Alpha Five rather than Windows. I'm all for that because I really do NOT want to run two instances of Alpha Five. I'm working on Tom's suggestion now.

Dave, it's a pleasure meeting you on the forum and good luck with your enterprises. I have so much respect for businessmen who have mustered the wherewithall to create computer applications to support their businesses. So few have what it takes to pull that off.

Best regards ... Sam

BTW, I like "directories". Don't like "folders"; sounds too wussy! I'm technically inclined, having had a career with IBM until they decided in '92 they couldn't afford me and 150,000 of my colleagues. Anyway, real men put their data into directories.

Comment

BTW, I like "directories". Don't like "folders"; sounds too wussy! I'm technically inclined, having had a career with IBM until they decided in '92 they couldn't afford me and 150,000 of my colleagues. Anyway, real men put their data into directories.
            Sounds like me, I worked for UNISYS, (Sperry Side) until 1991 when they said my cost was more than they thought my contribution was worth. 16 years and "goodby"!

Tom

Comment

Tom is right about managing within alpha.

By the way, those two apps running are both the same. You can do that with runtime. I start alpha(called ALDA.exe in my runtime) with my own exe file.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
              X