Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5 + LINUX + SAMBA a cautionary tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5 + LINUX + SAMBA a cautionary tale

I must start by saying I do not see this as an Alpha 5 issue but is by way of a warning to others.

We recently went to install an Alpha 5 installation at a clients with 5 workstations running XP connected to what we were told was a windows server.
    I did in fact turn out to be a Linux Server running Redhat Enterprise 5 overlaid with Samba 3.033.
    We simply could not get Alpha to run on this configuration as everytime we tried to start our application Alpha seemed to be looking for the first DBF file it needs in the folder

C:\DOCUMENTS & SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\USERNAME\ALPHA5 VERSION XX where clearly there are no dbf files

We then tried running the application on the local drive and immediately hit the same problem.

Normally when deploying an application we simply copy the folder we have created the application in to the target drive either on the local machine or a shared folder on a server.
    We have been doing this for about 15 years without once having a problem.

Curiously the only way we could get the application to function on the local drive was to use the install builder to create an "application files only" installation and run it on the local drive.
    When we did this the application performed as we would normally expect.
    I find this very strange because as far as I can see the installation exe simply seems to create the folder and unzip the files into it - I assume it only writes to the registry if a full installation including the runtime files is created and deployed. (Note can Alpha confirm exactly what an "application files only" installation does).

After several hours of trying all sorts of tricks including referencing the target drive by 1) its full UNC path and 2) by including the IP address we were forced to conceed defeat.

The whole experience confirmed what I have always thought and that is open source software is for geeks and hobbyists and should NEVER be used in a commercial working environment.

Has anybody else ever seen this behaviour.

Bob
    Bob Whitaker

Re: A5 + LINUX + SAMBA a cautionary tale

Originally posted by Bob Whitaker View Post
    [B]
    The whole experience confirmed what I have always thought and that is open source software is for geeks and hobbyists.
    Bob
    I think most of the web is built around open source software and guess which one is growing faster desktop or web? I think today all the innovations are coming from open source and then adopted to the commercial software good example is jQuery or Ruby. Without open source we would all still developing desktop applications.

Comment

Bob,
      I had a client running Samba on a Linux server with alpha5 8 and then 10.5 on ws's, and it ran very fast for several years, without ever once having an issue. Peter Wayne was the first Alpha user that tried Linux, as I recall. He wrote an article on his web page about it - he said the trick is to configure it correctly. In my client's case, they never had an issue. They have since moved to Server2008R2, and I totally have no idea how to set up or configure Linux/Samba. Find his article, and you may get some helpful clues.
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

hello

The whole experience confirmed what I have always thought and that is open source software is for geeks and hobbyists and should NEVER be used in a commercial working environment.
        i think php is open source and this forum runs on it.
        mySql was open source till oracle bought it. is that correct?
        thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
        mysql backend
        http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
        [email protected]
        1 914 924 5171

Comment

mySql was open source till oracle bought it. is that correct?
          As far as I know it still open source.

We had change 4 years ago from windows to linux server very successfully. BUT we have a server manager in our 2 men IT office. In fact he is an employ with a very good linux knowledge.
          I like windows, he likes linux. Linux is very cheap and there are a lot resource out there in the net. So sometimes we struggle, but finally we know Linux bedder and bedder. At these days we tried to setup a replication server. We tested it Alpha Five without any problems.

Cornelius

Comment

fully accept that open source has a place in the computing world and maybe I should have phrased my comment better. From a purely commercial point of view one day spent tinkering and messing about trying to get something "cheap" working totally nullifies any savings you might make.

Bob
            Bob Whitaker

Comment

Just a little note here. Red Hat Enterprise is in fact a commercial product and very expensive. But because it is build top of originally open source Linux they also have to give available source code of their product. This source code is distributed under name Centos and it is free .

Comment

... and maybe I should have phrased my comment better
                No, I don't think so, everybody knows how frustating it is, when you can't get it to work as you expected. In this forum we share our experience and this is what I am looking for.
                I wanted to motivate you not to give up. Sorry I you misunderstood my post. As I said I prefer Windows. Don't really know what is bedder, but we need to be successfully anyway. Our Linux server is a Suse distribution a certainly not so expensiv as a windows server.

I would try to take of a client-computer from the net and install a local application. If this worked, connect the client back to to server. May be it was a routing problem.

Cornelius

Comment

I am currently running a ubuntu linux with a samba server for other reasons that alpha(there will actually be no alp[ha produxcts developed using this). I will try making a place for the alpha files(desktop) and see how it works out. I hope it will help others in some way.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I know this is a little late for this post, but if anyone searched for Samba issues it comes up.

I had a similar issue with Samba4, every time I tried to edit the structure of a table I would get an error.
                    You can see the full description on my issue in this post: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ure-of-a-table

When I compared our setup to a colleague's system I discovered the following:
                    in the /etc/fstab on my CentOS server

The Alpha5 HDD (/dev/sdd1) was mounted with defaults,acl,user_xattr 00 attributes,
                    /dev/sdd1 /Alpha5 ext4 defaults,acl,user_xattr 0 0

when I removed the extended user attributes (user_xattr) and changed the dump pass number, unmounted/remounted the drive, and restarted Samba4 the issue was resolved.
                    /dev/sdd1 /Alpha5 ext4 defaults,acl 0 2

The NTFS file permissions were sufficient, but the underlying PAM permissions were set in a way which cause a conflict with Alpha5

Samba4 can emulate a Windows AD environment as well as a Win2008R2 I believe.
                    Open source programs pretty much run the internet, programs in Linux repos typically get improvements and bug fixes / patches much faster than closed source programs.

Comment

Working...
                    X