Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grid Export to Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid Export to Excel

I have the latest build of Alpha 3044_4041, In a grid component for the Desktop I enable the export to Excel feature of the Grid, when I export to excel i received the ff: error msg.
    "Excel cannot open the file Grid1_data2.xlsx because the file format or extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and the file extension matches the format of the file." in the previous updates of Alpha, it is working properly, and I think alpha increase the 64k size , is this a bug?Has anyone tried exporting the grid data to excel on the latest update last November 7, 2012?

Re: Grid Export to Excel

Hi Roman,

Export works correctly on that build number.

The only problem I have, fields that are not displayed because of the WHERE statement get exported and are now visible in the speadsheet.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Keith Hubert; 11-12-2012, 01:50 AM.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hello Keith, I noticed on your excel file that it is xls, Alpha Software upgraded it to xlsx now, I can export data before with xls, but when they upgraded it to xlsx format, thats the time it has an error, that is why I was wondering if it is a bug, I am trying to find out how to make the default format to xls and nor xlsx.

Edit:

It is indeed a bug. It will be fixed on the next update or patch.
      Last edited by doorscomputers; 11-12-2012, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I have just encountered same! Have you found a work around on exporting to xlsx? If so , please share,

Best,

Lar

Comment

No solution yet, just download the patch before the latest patch.the latest patch is an upgrade to be able to export into xlsx, and this patch is the one causing the problem.

Comment

Thanks so much!! Greatly appreciated.

Comment

I re-installed the earlier patch and just tested.. It works on the desktop, but not on the web!

Have you experienced same?

Lar

Comment

Did you also update the patch on your server? If not it won't work. They have to be the same build (development and server). I am having this issue, too. Very annoying, but since Selwyn and the gang get it right so often, will work around! Merry Christmas.

Comment

Yes I did... Merry Christmas to you to.

Comment

I'm experiencing the same issue. For the time being I am having the users save the file, then rename it to .xls then they can open it. Any word on a patch? I'm also using build 3044_4041. Thanks!
                    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
                    Support our US Military

Comment

Thanks for responding. Yes that is an option. I have not heard of a patch yet.

Best,

Comment

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet? I just recently installed the latest patch and am now getting the same Excel error as above. Seems like an awful long time for Alpha to not get this fixed. Thanks so much!

Comment

Alpha Five V11 Application Server, Build 3044_4041, just installed 02/20/2012 on our server.
                          The Excel Exports in my application that were previously working are now generating the below errors.

I also created a new export thinking that my old exports were no longer valid. I got the same error with the new excel exports I created.

I get the typical message asking if I want to “open” or download just like I always received before.

It appears that the export is completed, but when I try to open the file I get this error I get:
                          (I get the same error message regardless of choosing “open” or downloading then attempting to open)

Excel Error.jpg

Then, when I try to close the Excel file I get this Error Message:

This message can appear for the following reasons:
                          • Microsoft Excel is closing and there is an invalid value in a cell
                          • An OLE operation has not completed, such as an ActiveX control or an embedded program or object
                          • Excel is in print preview mode
                          • A Microsoft Visual Basic macro is running in step mode (a form of testing and debugging that takes place within the VBA editor)
                          • A file is attempting to load in Excel
                          • A dialog box is open, usually behind the Excel window
                          To avoid this message, allow time for pending tasks to complete, close any open dialog boxes, close the Visual Basic Editor, and close any other programs that use objects embedded in the workbook.
                          If the message still appears, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager. In Windows Task Manager, click the Applications tab, select the open workbook, and then click End Task.

Thank you ! I hate to backtrack again to a previous build. I'm really hoping that Alpha has a patch somewhere that corrects this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by kimhere View Post
                            Alpha Five V11 Application Server, Build 3044_4041, just installed 02/20/2012 on our server.
                            The Excel Exports in my application that were previously working are now generating the below errors.

I also created a new export thinking that my old exports were no longer valid. I got the same error with the new excel exports I created.

I get the typical message asking if I want to �open� or download just like I always received before.

It appears that the export is completed, but when I try to open the file I get this error I get:
                            (I get the same error message regardless of choosing �open� or downloading then attempting to open)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34834[/ATTACH]

Then, when I try to close the Excel file I get this Error Message:

This message can appear for the following reasons:
                            � Microsoft Excel is closing and there is an invalid value in a cell
                            � An OLE operation has not completed, such as an ActiveX control or an embedded program or object
                            � Excel is in print preview mode
                            � A Microsoft Visual Basic macro is running in step mode (a form of testing and debugging that takes place within the VBA editor)
                            � A file is attempting to load in Excel
                            � A dialog box is open, usually behind the Excel window
                            To avoid this message, allow time for pending tasks to complete, close any open dialog boxes, close the Visual Basic Editor, and close any other programs that use objects embedded in the workbook.
                            If the message still appears, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager. In Windows Task Manager, click the Applications tab, select the open workbook, and then click End Task.

Thank you ! I hate to backtrack again to a previous build. I'm really hoping that Alpha has a patch somewhere that corrects this issue.
                            Read post #5, Alpha software is hard at work on V12. the latest patch is not always the best patch, do not update if the one you are using now works for you.

Comment

Thank you for taking time to respond.
                              I was hoping there was a newer patch available to correct the Excel Export, rather than backtracking. I thought I was waiting a decent time to upgrade (since this patch was made available back in November). My whole reason for the upgrade was because of the newer Excel (.xlsx). We need to export more records than what is allowed with the .xls versions. Currently, we are using CSV exports to get around the record limitations, had hoped to do away with those, darn.

Comment

Working...
                              X