Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"explode" slice of a pie chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "explode" slice of a pie chart

G,

I tried your code and I get an error message.
    Referencing the error message and the help files, I do not see anything wrong with the code.
    I was wondering if anyone else has run this successfully.

I'm running a fairly recent pre-release. Maybe there's a bug?
    Attached Files
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Never mind, I misread the help file.
      Alpha 5 Version 11
      DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

hi G Gabriel,
        I don't know xbasic, but I will give it a whirl. Thank you
        Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Anusiewicz View Post
          G,

I tried your code and I get an error message.
          Referencing the error message and the help files, I do not see anything wrong with the code.
          I was wondering if anyone else has run this successfully.

I'm running a fairly recent pre-release. Maybe there's a bug?
          Ron, I think G's code left out a line. Try sticking this:
          Code:
          ui_bitmap_create("test", 4.0, 4.0)
          in at the beginning. This should show it on the screen with G's code.

As for putting it in a report, I have done it 2 ways. One is to save the image to a file, a file that then appears in a report layout. The other way I have done it is put everything needed for the report in the code that generates the image (fields, titles, calcs, etc.) and then send the whole thing to the printer (no report layout) with ui_printer_draw() or sys_print() using the saved image file. My work in this area was done years ago, so none of it is fresh in my mind. But it is all still working, at least in V10.5.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Hi Raymond,

Yes, I am having quite a time trying to duplicate charts that I have already created in Crystal Reports. I really wanted to keep the entire application in Alpha Five, but it doesn't seem possible. I will have to keep the reports in Crystal, which defeats the purpose (to me anyway) of converting data in Access to Alpha Five.

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
            G, I am pretty sure this not what Tracy was looking for as a way to produce a chart. A small number of us have done charts using Xbasic tools like you used here, and it just goes to show (I believe) that easy to use charts could be made a part of Alpha Five without resorting to third party add-in tools that end up leaving a lot to be desired. But Alpha probably has far more lucrative things to do with their limited resources, so we either spend the time doing the kind of thing you illustrated or we somehow try to make the third party stuff work--or go to something like Crystal Reports. Years ago I did a very complex chart using the tools you illustrate (and it is still working flawlessly today up to at least V10.5) but there was a huge learning curve and it took a tremendous amount of time to do it. I would do simple charts that way again, but never a very complex one--unless I were being paid by the hour!

By the way, glad to see you are back contributing on the forum.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by noviceuser View Post
              Hi Raymond,

Yes, I am having quite a time trying to duplicate charts that I have already created in Crystal Reports. I really wanted to keep the entire application in Alpha Five, but it doesn't seem possible. I will have to keep the reports in Crystal, which defeats the purpose (to me anyway) of converting data in Access to Alpha Five.
              There are, possibly, 2 solutions to your problem. Given that you are a self described novice user, the method G, Gabriel outlined is probably way too complex. The other way to do charts in Alpha Five is (I think) via a third party add-in (Simple Charts?). I would think there is a way to do what you want with whatever the add-in is called, but I am not the one to help you with that since I have never created a single chart that way.

Maybe someone else can help. Sorry.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

As G said, his example was to get one started.

Well, I decided to play around with his code a little. The attached script has an embedded function that make it fairly easy to generate a simple pie chart. It can be improved upon. If anyone decides to use this code and does improve it, please post your changes.

Ron
                Attached Files
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hey Tracy,

Thought I'd take a shot at this... it sure isn't as easy as I thought it might be... but still, not that bad. All this assumes you're working with the Chart Supercontrol.

Part of the trouble is trying to provide an answer for your database without knowing how you have your pie chart running. So I opened the current Alphasports database and started working with the report named "Invoice_WithPieChart". You should walk through this example with this report to get a better understanding of how this works. There may be easier, more straight forward solutions but they are evading me. Anyway, here's one solution.

Get into design mode for this report, and get into the Chart Supercontrol properties. Your Data Source is probably set to Report but I can't get an exploded pie with this source. We need to change the Source to Table and then provide a Table name which is "Invoice.set". We need to filter the Table but I didn't have a lot of luck here either - I just wanted to provide a Report Field to do this but the dialogs wouldn't let me. So I had to create an argument. For Arguments create an argument called CURRINVNBR. In Argument Bindings... bind CURRINVNBR to invoice_number. Now the property Filter Records can read invoice_number = :CURRINVNBR

So far, all we've done is tell the chart that we're basing data on the Table (or set, in this case) Invoice.set, and to filter this data on the report field invoice_number.

The final step is to set up the explode. In the Explode Slice property, put this...

Code:
                  Invoice_Items->Extension=tablemax("invoice_items","invoice_number='"+Invoice_Number+"'","Extension")
                  This pie chart is based on the Extension price of the different items for this invoice. The Explode expression is saying... Extension = the maximum value of Extension, for the current invoice number, from the invoice_items set. The Explode expression must be a logical expression.

This process seems to be easier for a Form, but a bit more involved for a report. Again... there may be a simpler way. I had a quick look through the Object properties of the chart and saw a couple of interesting items regarding Explode but I've no idea how to use them. At least this solution does work. Attached are images that kind of walk you through the process I described.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I continued to play with this some more adding some text.
                    Nice if you just want show a dialog box with a simple graph.
                    Attached Files
                    Alpha 5 Version 11
                    DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Anusiewicz View Post
                      I continued to play with this some more adding some text.
                      Nice if you just want show a dialog box with a simple graph.
                      Ron,

I'm pretty sure you know Tracy was looking to put her chart in a report, and of course you are just playing around (playing around with the tools can be fun--and get complex).

As I indicated in a post above, I have put such charts in reports two different ways. The simpliest (I think) way is to save the chart to a temp bitmap file and them put the bitmap in the report. Of course this won't work if each record in the report calls for a different bitmap, but otherwise it works well enough. I suppose one could try to use the Report On_Record event to create a new bitmap for each record, but that sounds very unwieldly to me

Anyway, try adding lines like this to your code:
                      Code:
                      '++++++++ Now create and save it to a bmp file
                      dim ptr as p
                      PieChart_Temp = ui_bitmap_save("test")
                      ptr = file.create("c:\PieChart_Temp.bmp", FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
                      ptr.writeb(PieChart_Temp)
                      ptr.close()
                      '***********
                      Note that you could change the file extension to .jpg or .png but the file created would still be a bmp. Other tools in the graphics toolkit can change the bmp into a jpg or png.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

I wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to this thread. I was finally able to get the explode feature to work.
                        Thank you
                        Tracy

Comment

Working...
                        X