Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

I have a developers license. It allows me to install on 2 computers. How are developers handling testing their apps against windows XP, VISTA, Win7 and Win8 if they can only load their dev A5 on 2 machines. I have 4 machines now, and going to cover the XP-Vista-Win7-win8 range. But how do I do that with a 2 computer license?
    Mike W

Re: Alpha license, alpha app, and Windows versions

If you have the runtime, use it for app testing. Otherwise consider renaming the a couple of the machines to be the same as the other two and use their activation keys. This would probably have to be temporary solution just for testing if all the machines are on your own network. I have not had the need to do this--I just assume it would work. Of course you could also buy another license!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Mike,

Provided the machines are not networked, give the machines the same Name.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

It works even if they are all on the network. You just get a warning when windows starts that there is a duplicate name.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave you are correct, but who likes error messages?
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I have 4 machines now, and going to cover the XP-Vista-Win7-win8 range. But how do I do that with a 2 computer license?
            The short, and likely unpopular, answer is you don't. If you found it necessary to purchase 4 machines for your develpment work you should also see the necessity of purchasing another development license which will cover a total of four machines.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Better still, get runtime.

another thought is: you can run alpha for 30 days on an install, which should be long enough for most testing. It does always prompt you for a license number, but....? I guess Keith might not like that LOL
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Interesting. In 6 additional replies, what has been added that wasn't more or less said in the first reply (below)?

Raymond Lyons

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                If you have the runtime, use it for app testing. Otherwise consider renaming the a couple of the machines to be the same as the other two and use their activation keys. This would probably have to be temporary solution just for testing if all the machines are on your own network. I have not had the need to do this--I just assume it would work. Of course you could also buy another license!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                  The short, and likely unpopular, answer is you don't. If you found it necessary to purchase 4 machines for your develpment work you should also see the necessity of purchasing another development license which will cover a total of four machines.
                  I didn't purchase 4 machines for this purpose. I had 2 (XP and win 7) and acquired a Vista from someone who ditched Vista for Win7 because they hated Vista, and acquired a Win8 machine for testing purposes. It seems over the top to have to acquire another developer license to develop one application that could be used on the breadth of platforms to which customers might be loading the app. I have runtime. The problem is, however, if there are errors/problems on any given OS, the RT doesn't afford investigating/developing solutions for that OS.

I like the computer name idea, if this XP machine would only allow me to. System->Computer name --> try and change the name and it tells me it's detected the name on the network and therefore can't change it.... got to System ->Computer name and change it... which is exactly where I am.
                  Mike W

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting it from the network and then changing the name? Might even have to change the network or workgroup name but I doubt it.

Ray

Comment

The thing is: we are all developers here and most of us hate it when our work gets copied out and used by others without paying for it, or without respecting the license agreements we use. Don't we? Those type of users ALWAYS tend to go to great length to justify why they steal software from others, or (let me rephrase that....) use it not accordingly to the letter of the license agreement. Well, so does Alpha I guess. They sell their products under a license agreement and that holds in it the rule that you may install the product on 2 machines. Not on 4. Not because of the fact you can only afford 1 license (for 2 machines), not because you "just use it for testing" or for whatever reason. You may install 2 copies per license. That's it. I would suggest you honor the license agreement. Furthermore, I would like to discourage colleagues here coming up with "advice" how to (despite the license agreement) nevertheless install more then 2 copies per license. It is not an honorable thing to do.

You can always install a trial version on a test machine and have enough days to test it. Another righteous option would be to ask customer service if they would allow you to install more then 2 copies not for developing, but for testing the end product. Although personally I don't see much difference in using the software for development or testing: both are invaluable parts of the software production chain.

Respect the license agreement.

Comment

I suppose it is withing the scope of the license agreenant, if not the letter of it, to have one developer license installed on four machines (four different machine names) with two names activated. Should one need to test something on one machine without a licensed name, rename one of the current activated machines to a non activated name (will no longer run Alpha), and rename the machine on which you want to test something to the activated name. IOW, at any given time you can only run Alpha on two machines.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                          .... Those type of users ALWAYS tend to go to great length to justify why they steal software from others, or (let me rephrase that....) use it not accordingly to the letter of the license agreement. ....
                          Marcel (and others),

I don't think anyone here was suggesting that anyone "steal" Alpha Five or even use it "not according to the letter of the license agreement" (though personally I have never actually read the license agreement--partly because I can't fine it--so I can't be sure). In any case, there is an enormous difference between stealing software and installing it on more than 2 different machines for testing purposes so long as it can be used on only 2 of the machines at any given time (which I presume is what the license really wants to ensure no matter what the wording may be read to say).

Not everyone can afford to be as "righteous" as some of you apparently can be. Although I have never done it, I personally see nothing wrong with temporarily renaming a machine for testing purposes. On the other hand, it would be bit of a pain to do so, and that might be sufficient reason to buy another license. Or if you have the runtime (as I do), I find that sufficient for testing, and maybe even better as my apps typically have to run on the runtime, not the full version.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Actually,
                            Stan and marcel,
                            I think I said that in post number 7

I personally don't think alpha thought of all this when they set their license agreement(the testing thing). I further would bet they don't care how you do it as long as you are only working on ONE computer at a time with 1 license.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Actually, I don't think you said anything similar in post 7 or post 4. I postulated a situation in which you have four differently named machines at all times other than the interval in which you are changing/swapping two.
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X