Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Attention Desktop Developers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attention Desktop Developers

HA HA HA!! I thought I was the only one.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

But then again, what value holds "having a fortune" in life at the end?

Comment

Pardon? A bit deep for me Marcel. Maybe it's the translation.
        BTW, I have asked that my ashes go up in a rocket - it may take more than one as I'm not skinny. My end is sort of planned.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

So what we need to learn from this, would be that your ultimate wish is to get as far away from us as possible Ted? That's a tat disappointing.....

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
            I agree!
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

To pass it to your heirs.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

This is getting maudlin - sorry.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

FYI, Ramond and I (mostly Ray) have been consolidating ideas, requests and bug from this thread and other recent threads and have categorized and semi-prioritized the list. If you guys think it is the proper next step, I will put them into a poll for everyone to vote on, attempting again to prioritize. Sound good?
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

For any limitation of the desktop in alpha five, maybe we can try Visual Studio Lightswitch, very similar to the no code approach of alpha five and it has an intrinsic native database aside from connecting to other data sources. But I would still prefer to do the basic database apps in alpha five.

Comment

Originally posted by mronck View Post
                      Until life is at the end I would like to have my fortune now please.

Comment

You might have it, and not even know it although not material. You live in South Africa for crying outloud . Look around you.... there is your fortune. Ever been in Holland?

Comment

I did in my youth spend about 7 months, mostly in Hamster Dam
                          Love Holland
                          And I do appreciate Cape Town. It's really magical.

Comment

My daughter is getting married in may in a lighthouse somewhere over there. She is in Germany now and coming back here in August with her new hubby. NO, he is not a hard headed Dutchman. LOL
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Wow, lots of contention on this thread. I just came back from Fl (visiting relatives) and am surprised as to where this thread has [also] ended up.... On vacation (having left my PC behind), I had come up with one very important fix for the desktop that has not been mentioned, and wanted to share it here: Fix the Xbasic coding GUI!

DESKTOP BUG-FIX SUGGESTION: The XBE frequently doesn't properly reflect usable object methods and properties. It also has numerous omissions along with old features that have been presumably removed, like some graphical support.) The other thing is auto-complete. The grave truth is, it doesn't work well! This becomes especially apparent when you try to address objects using relative object names. These names don't resolve properly. Because of this, an object's methods are not exposed to the user in the auto-complete drop-down.

I thought about this thread while I was away, and whether I would continue my pursuit. And unfortunately it seems to me that Alpha has lost focus on too many of the important issues, one being QUALITY CONTROL.

I'd also like to add that I spent time getting caught up on my numerous technology subscriptions, on my girlfriends tablet. (I don't own one.) One enlightening article reinforced a belief of mine (which I have always preconceived to be true). It brought me to the following conclusion: The future is definitely tablets and portable devices. But "off-line code" (native code for both businesses and consumers alike) will be sought after, due to connectivity issues (amongst other reasons.) The point here is that Alpha's current direction with regards to tablets & portable devices does not begin to address this. (As Alpha's solution is a web server/browser solution.) One related "eye-opener" (for me) here is that other development platforms have planned for this contingency: Environments, like Real Studio and even MS Dev-Studio provide "simplified" tablet & portable device support (native code development/deployment) to "multiple platforms." ~ And apparently (from my readings), this "multi-platform" support (for Windows devices) in MS Dev-Studio requires little more than changing one setting!?!?! As for the web side, other applications. such as Adobe DreamWeaver provide support for multiple device screen sizes with features that were referred to as being "almost magical" in nature!
                              I'd wager that: Once Windows based tablets (both RT & full Win-8+) gain momentum, native code support is going to
                              "bring back desktop desire." (Hopefully Alpha will be there too!)

Without trying to be overly critical: One deficiency that is apparent (to me) everywhere I look, regarding both (Alphasoftware & it's products) is: A lack of planning & organization. (IMHO, both their sales/marketing & code implementation reflects this problem "to a T".) ~ I'm not implying whatsoever that I could do a better job. But I honestly believe we are all paying for this one way or another. Adding features to an "aging a5 code-base has resulted in a "hodgepodge" of functionality that works, but is quirky in implementation. At some point, the "bolt-on approach" to adding features begins to create chaos. Unfortunately, I believe Alphasoftware crossed that boundary several versions back. And I believe they should have split the product at that point into 2 offerings. My guess is that based on company size and "human resources", this was not an option. On a side note: To report bugs only to hear back from the developer that some of the existing desktop C code-base is either too old to fix and/or add features, is not very assuring. (with regard to the desktop's future)
                              Last edited by SNusa; 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM.
                              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

On a side note:

As for "Xdialog", implementing this technology via hand coding (to fix shortcomings elsewhere) defeats the purpose of a5. (which is foremost marketed as a "RAD" product) ~It may be a solution to many problems, but it's just not practical. (for most)
                                Last edited by SNusa; 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM.
                                Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                                It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                                RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Working...
                                X