Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Attention Desktop Developers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Desktop Developers

Further to Marcel's very sensible posting (V12 release notes) which got hijacked by semantics and went rambling off in a number of none productive directions why don't we (Desktop Fans) start a thread of the things we would like to see.

I know there is a wishlist on Idea-scale but despite several requests we get little or no feedback in that arena.

My own "wishes" would be :-

A good desktop calendar component is VITAL and if it had drag and drop capability it would be a winner - there can't be many business applications that aren't in some way date driven.

And when I really go off into fantasy land the ability to move desktop applications to Ipads with local storage - sadly I live in a "Third World" country called Great Britain where mobile internet coverage is at very best patchy and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future so I simply don't buy into this headlong rush for mobile applications that rely on a 3g /4g connection.

So lets hear some more.........

Bob
    Bob Whitaker

Re: Attention Desktop Developers

Fantastic Bob, this could be a very productive thread.

One area I would like to see better use made of, is the Desktop control panel. eg Notes and Modification columns for everything, not just the tables and sets
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Here are the responses from my survey of IADN developers (all mixed together, slightly edited for clarity):

(0) Browse, Browse, Browse

(1) Better support for new versions of Windows.
      - Including rigorous testing of compatibility.
      - Do not need "touch" screen support, but must be able to configure Alpha Five to run successfully on Windows 8 machines.
      - Help configuring older versions of Alpha Five to the same environment.
      - Guidance from Alpha in this area is critical, and missing.

(2) The "built-in" installmaker routines need to be fixed, or abandoned altogether.
      - Almost no one is able to use them to create installation packages for our customers per the current documentation.

(3) Need better support (pre-configured and built-in) for e-mail support.
      - Need to be able to easily display previous emails, print email logs, etc.
      - The built in email client contains the low level tools, but the high level support that we love (and depend on) is missing.
      - Better control of batch emails, would be a big help, too.

(4) Ability to auto-add time fields to a dbf using the add-fields function

Alternate view:
      (5) Desktop is pretty good in terms of its capabilities, no need to develop it much more.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I would argue with the "Touch Screen" support issue. Touch screen would be very helpful in a lot of instances.

Comment

-I would second improvement for the installer.
          - 64 bit support
          - A simple clean way to create updates for distribution to remote customers without overwriting existing data. That is separate the front end from back end.
          - Create styles/skins for apps using CSS. Apply a style once for an entire app. Perhaps implementing some level of WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation )
          - Some system dialogs look old and dated
          - Allow desktop Web components be created in Desktop control panel so you don't have application objects scattered in different places.

These are just a few things from my perspective others may not see an issue.
          Regards,

John W.
          www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

- I would add that its time for the long talked about compiler, with the compiled executable containing everything to run the app without the need for a runtime
            Regards,

John W.
            www.CustomReportWriters.net

Comment

Thank you Bob, for your kind compliment and for starting up this thread.

After careful consideration and giving this some thought, my list would be:

1) Go from the idea to completely abandon "forms" and its specific tooling, and replace this completely with components as used on the web side.
              2) Enhance and improve the "working preview" capability as much as possible so hat it becomes possible to construct complete working desktop applications OR web applications with just ONE technology following the idea/concept of "develop once, deploy everywhere".
              3) Finding ways to make it possible to use specific web components that won't run on the desktop in wp-mode NOW, like the Calendar Component.
              4) Documentation urgently needs attention NO MATTER WHAT the platform is. Alphapedia is a complete and utter disaster to find something you need. Personally I think the old system was way more informative. But that's only me. Searching in Alphapedia on a subject delivers a shipsload of returns with high irrelevancy to what you are looking for. Much time gets lost by the lack of an efficient documentation system. Too many separate tools that each for itself don't do the job and don't work together.
              5) A well tailored system to deliver updates and upgrades to your customer.

I guess the by far largest gap in the desktop functionality in terms of features (there are other points of view of course, like stability and such) has been the lack of a well thought out calendar/event tool. What the desktop now has is sub-par at best and not by a long shot able to satisfy today's customers needs and expectations.

I think colleagues that we can't press on to keep improving the current desktop. It is ancient technology and further investing in it would (in my humble opinion) not be a sound thing for Alpha Software ROI-wise.
              Instead, when you could make it so that the current pallet of components gets improved and enhanced further so that anyone (no matter desktop, web or mobile) could use it to make "his thing" with it, we are all served. This is simply a threshold we urgently need to pass. No more differences in interests, features and capabilities between "desktoppers", "webbers" or "mobilers".

Looking at what is available NOW in v11, not even having seen what is available in v12Beta, my best guess is that we are more close to realizing this then we think.

Also I support the wish of Keith above, this is a long time wish of mine, many times expressed on this forum: options to categorize, make remarks and so on. Besides that, the web projects control panel has many features that the desktop control panel has not, like filtering. Maybe, in line with my point of view as expressed in points 1-3, dispose of all those different control panels and create just one.

Comment

For developers, here are some of the things I would like to see in the desktop:

(1) A true replacement for the current form/browse construct
                (2) A way to address the "always-open" nature of apps/forms built on dbf structures, sort of like it is in a client-server app
                (3) A way to build applications based on the client-server construct without having to learn (apart from the obvious requirement to learn SQL) several new programming languages like you do for the web.
                (5) An easy way to extend your application with connections to external objects like ActiveX, COM etc
                (4) An easy way to tap into the new power offered by dot Net (Even if dot Net is an overblown, overweight behemoth.)
                (5) Continue to be able to grow/expand the programming skills we've developed using Xbasic.

I suppose you can see where I'm going with this, since we already have all of these things, full-blown and reliable, in the Xdialog extension of Xbasic. Here are some of the reasons why every Alpha developer should be working with Xdialog.
                (1) stability
                (2) speed
                (3) reliability
                (4) doesn't require learning new programming languages (but will force you to learn more about the language (xbasic) you already know.)
                (5) allows direct connection to SQL back-ends without using Active-link tables
                (6) the ability to use extensions like the Codejock Calendar with which it is possible to build, cool-looking and feature-laden, drag and drop objects.

Is it more work? Absolutely. My guess is that it can take three or four times as long to build the xdialog equivalent of a data entry form than in traditional Alpha. The difference, though, is that the end result is, as much as such a thing is possible to be, impervious to the problems with traditional forms that we see described here daily. Is the interface as "pretty" as the traditional Alpha can be made to look? No, though for those who are concerned more about looks than content and speed, it's easier now that you can build html forms.

A wider adoption of xdialog by developers would, I believe, give Alpha the nudge to work on attainable, realistic improvements, for example to make xdialog easier to use. I think this could produce better results than beating up on the Alpha team with cries for stuff that, given the nature of the software business today and the resources at Alpha's disposal, have a snowball's chance in hell of coming to fruition.

I have heard all the arguments offered up in opposition to xdialog. However, I have to say that I simply don't understand these attitudes. I can't understand how developers, knowing there is a tool available that will address many, if not all, of their concerns will turn away from that tool for want of effort.
                Finian

Comment

Originally posted by Finian Lennon View Post
                  I can't understand how developers, knowing there is a tool available that will address many, if not all, of their concerns will turn away from that tool for want of effort.
                  Hi Finian. Wouldn't the quote below be the answer to the quote above?

My guess is that it can take three or four times as long to build the xdialog equivalent of a data entry form than in traditional Alpha.
                  I guess most developers would think that in these times of crisis their customers are not very willing to pay three or four times the fees they do today?

I know, I simplify things with this answer, and it is most certainly not my intent to be condescending or such. But isn't it true Finian that quality has always been something that is actually quite scarce and more often then seldom becomes the victim of speed and cost?

Comment

I'm a beginner but I do have some experience writing layout-editing applications, and I have a few simple improvements I'd like to see. Apologies if any of these are already there and I'm just ignorant about them...

1) Improve the functioning of scroll bars. Back in the early days of Windows every scroll bar worked differently and few worked well. Nowadays people expect them to work well. Alpha is like a trip back to 1995 hell.

2) Add a mouse-controlled alternative to the shift-arrow "nudge" function. It's very easy to implement and works very well: make it so if you press and hold the right mouse button while moving something, it moves a small fraction of the distance the mouse cursor moves.

3) In the place where you specify initial window position (for forms, etc.) add the option "Centered".

-jimc

Comment

<But isn't it true Finian that quality has always been something that is actually quite scarce and more often then seldom becomes the victim of speed and cost?>

I would say that the additional time more than pays for itself with a result that is reliable, fast, robust and ideal for a multi-user environment. The compromise is generally the need to enter detail data in a form-like rather than a browse-like structure.
                      Finian

Comment

....I have heard all the arguments offered up in opposition to xdialog. However, I have to say that I simply don't understand these attitudes. .....
                        Finian,

I use forms, browses and Xdialog, though probably not as much Xdialog as I could. When I use a browse I try to never make it a place for data entry (an exception is sometimes logical fields set as checkmarks). And I try to stay away from memo fields if at all possible. As for stability, speed and reliability, if I stick to these rules, I have never had a serious problem of any kind with applications on small (20 user) networks.

The big problem I have with Xdialog the time it takes to build them AND as near as I can determine their serious formatting limitations when compared to standard forms. A good example would be project I am working on now using a form on which numerous complex calculations need to be made (calc fields on the form) and displayed in boxes of different colors using fonts of different colors and where the colors can change with each record fetch and they are all displayed in non-simple table format (rows and columns of different sizes). This is all fairly easy and fast to build on a standard form. I can't even imagine how to accomplish anything remotely close to it in a Xdialog. If it is possible at all (which I doubt) it would take a lot more time, something my client would never pay for (I am paid by the hour).

I would love it if Xdialog could be made as easy to use and have the same formatting flexibility as a form. I might even be able to wildly imagine how that might be done but then wouldn't it just be a new kind of form not tied to a table? formatting flexibility in Xdialog is miles away from that now. But even if it gets there, Alpha's big thing has always been a way to build complex things quickly. With Xdialog, therein lies the rub even if formatting power increases.

On the other hand, I agree with your points (5) and (6).

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Would someone volunteer to take all of the lists of Desktop bugs, enhancements, etc from this thread and consolidate into one list for a new post? The list should weed out duplicates, separate bugs from enhancement requests and also summarize the "reasons" provided for why Desktop is important. Leave out additional commentary (because it can be referenced in the individual posts.) Then folks can comment on that new consolidated list, start to prioritize, clarify, etc.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Again a new post Steve, how much of those should we get. This is already the second one. I would like to suggest that we keep right here on Bob's thread, but that Bob integrates whatever is added to the list in later posts to his first post so that the actual list as suggested by all is visible right there, in the first post.
                            I know it is a bit of work for Bob, but let's hope he wants to do us honor by doing it.

Bob?

Comment

Again a new post Steve, how much of those should we get.
                              Pardon me, is there something wrong with me making this suggestion? I am trying to nudge it from the forum to the front door where it might do some good!
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X