Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Desktop Wishlist Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Wishlist Improvements

Bob W. took the time to reduce our comments about improving the desktop development tools to a wishlist summary. That thread took a turn towards that had less and less to do with a wishlist of improvement of the desktop. Feeling this is an important list and should not get lost in other discussions I took the liberty of pulling out Bob's original summary and a couple of other comments that followed. I know I missed some things. I feel we really need to keep this list in front of Alpha Software.

***I would respectfully ask to keep any following posts in the thread to things you feel would improvement Alpha Five in the area of desktop development. Please start a new thread for other kinds of comments. ***

Bob's original summary:

Much of the discussion centred on the desire to make xdialogue a lot easier and quicker to use in terms of formatting, fonts and colours.
    Most people seem to want to move away from the �bound objects� paradigm that Alpha uses with its forms etc and move towards Xdialogue with the aim of making systems more cross platform (web and desktop) compatible.

Fix the browse once and for all and improve scrolling on large forms

Plus Would it be too much to ask that the browse in a main form could have more than one line/per record?

Desktop calendar component � preferably with drag and drop functionality

Fix or abandon Installmaker (several comments)

Simple clean method for updating client systems

Compiler � has long been talked about

Better support for Windows 8 and guidance for configuring older version to run on Windows 8

Improvements to built-in email capability including easier ways to display previous emails and printing of logs plus better support for batch emailing.

Ability to auto-add time fields to a dbf using the add-fields function

64 bit support

Updated styles � dialogues look very dated

Ability to use CSS style skins

Allow desktop Web components be created in Desktop control panel so you don't have application objects scattered in different places.

Improve the control panel so comments can be added etc

Cross platform compatability using an Xbasic emulator, Real Studio gaining momentum with this capability

Ios capability with local storage � Filemaker GO offers this already and it looks and works very well

Attached below (hopefully) is a more complete distillation of the relevant postings
    Extracts of comments in thread.pdf
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Added to the thread after Bob's summary:

I would like to see unbound forms added. Right now myself and others create a dummy or empty table so we can create a blank form to hold objects such as buttons, etc. It would be nice to not have a create a table to have an empty form object.

The A5 default database would be a form of SQL.
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Re: Desktop Wishlist Improvements

Fix the browse once and for all and improve scrolling on large forms
    Yes
    Plus Would it be too much to ask that the browse in a main form could have more than one line/per record?
    Please

Desktop calendar component – preferably with drag and drop functionality
    Long overdue and very useful

Fix. I use it a lot and do not seem to have problems with it. I have really treid to break it but if the rules are followed it seems to work. Custard pies welcome.

Simple clean method for updating client systems
    Difficult. This is essentially a design issue. Building and deploying are separate issues. This a whole subject on it's own.

Compiler – has long been talked about
    Oh please! I was using compiled basic years ago.

Better support for Windows 8 and guidance for configuring older version to run on Windows 8
    Not fussed. This would be for small systems where PC World would be selling the latest systems. Not likely to be too many comercial operatiuons. We are just going Win 7 - 2500 user base.

Improvements to built-in email capability including easier ways to display previous emails and printing of logs plus better support for batch emailing.
    Difficult. The Netmailer does a lot of this but I agree - it could be easier to use the e-mail, but then I looked into it deeply and don't have a problem. (Not like the problems I have with Xbasic!)

Ability to auto-add time fields to a dbf using the add-fields function
    Not come accross this constraint.

64 bit support
    ?

Updated styles – dialogues look very dated
    Plus eyelashes and beauty spots. Yes I agree but this is an Alpha marketing (LOL!) decision.

Ability to use CSS style skins
    Ec=xcellent idea.

Allow desktop Web components be created in Desktop control panel so you don't have application objects scattered in different places.
    Really useful. A bit like some competitors offerings where you can easily create an "application" rather than a desk top or web. No difference really apart from the access medium.

Improve the control panel so comments can be added etc
    ?

Cross platform compatability using an Xbasic emulator, Real Studio gaining momentum with this capability
    ? not sure I understand this one.

Ios capability with local storage – Filemaker GO offers this already and it looks and works very well
    Not used it.

Attached below (hopefully) is a more complete distillation of the relevant postings
    Extracts of comments in thread.pdf
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Added to the thread after Bob's summary:

I would like to see unbound forms added. Right now myself and others create a dummy or empty table so we can create a blank form to hold objects such as buttons, etc. It would be nice to not have a create a table to have an empty form object.
    This approach has served me well, but a library of reusable objects is going to be difficult. The basics are already there when creating buttons etc, but the management of multiple reusable entities will - IMHO cause more trouble than enough.
    The A5 default database would be a form of SQL.
    Aaaah! the key question! I'm happy to use either Db type, but if this is a goer, it needs to be industry compliant, fast, Tsql approach might be best, and compatible with other versions. Not too difficult but tiime consuming unless Alpha buy it in.

Thanks John, a good and illuminative post.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
      From the release notes for v12 beta
      Install Maker - The Install Maker, used for desktop applications to create install packages for runtime-applications, has been dropped. To distribute desktop applications that require the Alpha Five v12 runtime, you can distribute the Alpha Five Runtime Installer to install the Alpha Five Runtime files. You can use a 3rd party installer to install your application files
      And to honour John's request in the OP any comments re this I suggest be in a new thread.
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Great!
        Something else to while away the hours learning something new.
        Where's my fishing rod?
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I would like to add to this list:

* Introduce quality control and release scheduling policy, or, if it is there already (the question in itself is a bad sign): enhance it further.

This might discard with the current "update, detect bug, roll back, repair, roll forward" way of doing things.
          I personally assign more weight tot that as to racing towards again new features.

Comment

I write it here again:
            Fix the browse is really paramount form me (and not only for me as I can see)
            Thanks for this thread.

Comment

Working...
            X