Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Creating an install package question-folder placement recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating an install package question-folder placement recommendations

Given the current state of the A5 install creator I have been trying out a number of open source install creators. I have found one I am liking pretty well to this point. My install logic has me installing my app files to the C:\ directory. I create a folder for my software and then install the app files in it. I also need to install the runtime files and will do that in a separate folder as well.

My questions is are there any recommendations for the placement of the runtime folder in relation to my app folder. I would like to have it in a sub-folder of the app. but will that be a problem?

My logic has the folder setup looking something like this...

C:\My App Folder
    C:\My App Folder\Runtime

So is this a bad install design or should it work?
    Regards,

John W.
    www.CustomReportWriters.net

Re: Creating an install package question-folder placement recommendations

John,

I am going the route you are. I suggest testing that in win8. I am working on that as time allows.

currently I have a folder I place on apps and shadowed apps of:

c:\alda
    c:\alda\app1
    c:\alda\app2
    c:\alda\rt
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

That should work John.
      Usually when running an app install using the Alpha installer, you have the choice having the app and RT in the same folder or not.
      It makes sense to me to have them separated as long as you know where the install is actually going!
      Is there a user driven option which might wreck your plans?
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Dang, Dave's up early - bed must have collapsed.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Ted & Dave thanks for the feedback. I knew the general recommendation was to have them in the C:\ that is (root) directory. I was not clear about ;possible sub-folder issues. I thought having the runtime folders as described may be cleaner, having all my application in one place. I am not giving the user a chance to change the location or folder naming convention. By doing that I am hoping my pre-created shortcut will consistently work. That has been a bit of an install issue for me as well.

I will forge ahead and again thanks.
          Regards,

John W.

Comment

John,

I did that for similar reasons as you and I looked at some of the big apps to see what they did. Some put it one place or the other, but the vast majority do not give an option of placement.

note: i also place my data files in a particular spot on a server(even if it is on the same computer). they do not go in conjunction with the app and rt folders. Each app has it's own home in a specified folder. lan address has nothing to do with this. example: ups data is in upserve in some drive on some computer somewhere while the shdow is on the c: of the user's computer.

You can do a silent install of runtime, but it always goes to program files that way which is not all bad either. Still working on this.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
              ....I am not giving the user a chance to change the location or folder naming convention. By doing that I am hoping my pre-created shortcut will consistently work. That has been a bit of an install issue for me as well....
              John, so your app is such that it never ends up on a network server? As for an installer, what are you settling on? I need to find something and I don't think Astrum any longer makes sense if they are no longer doing any further development (yes, it probably still works, no one needs to point that out--it's the future I am concerned with and I don't want to be learning something that one day may no longer work). I would think an installer should allow you to create shortcuts based on where the user chooses to install the app, but maybe that's naive given you want the app to open not just the runtime?

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Ray - I will have server version but that will be separate from my demo release which is what I am working on at the moment. Right now I am using Install Maker from Bytessence. It seems easy to use and supports both 32 bit and 64 bit installs on Win OS from Win95 through Win 8 including server versions through 2012. It doesn't require heavy scripting. I am still am working out the final form and contents, but of the many I tried, to this point I like it best. Its worth a look and is free (open source).

If anyone is interested here is a link http://www.bytessence.com/bim.html
                Regards,

John W.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwrpc View Post
                  Ray - I will have server version but that will be separate from my demo release which is what I am working on at the moment. Right now I am using Install Maker from Bytessence. It seems easy to use and supports both 32 bit and 64 bit installs on Win OS from Win95 through Win 8 including server versions through 2012. It doesn't require heavy scripting. I am still am working out the final form and contents, but of the many I tried, to this point I like it best. Its worth a look and is free (open source).

If anyone is interested here is a link http://www.bytessence.com/bim.html
                  Interestingly enough, this installer was written using "PureBasic." (www.PureBasic.com)
                  Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                  It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                  RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Ray,

I use 2 installs on a lan setup.
                    The server part installs what will be the data files with the support.
                    The work station installs alpha(and all the other junk) plus the application. The app actually has a boot strap adb named the same as the adb on the server. It boots to make a shadow on the workstation.

If you know where the data is going to be(name of the server computer), you can have all preset when the user gets it. Otherwise they have to type in something like: "\\myservername\mydata\myadb.adb" or "h\mydata\myadb.adb"
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave - how do you separate the data files from the application files? When I create a project it sets all the files into the app folder. Do you have a recommendation about a good way to move them to a separate folder and have the app see them?

It would be nice if you had the option when creating a app to set or create separate folder for the data files.
                      Regards,

John W.

Comment

John,

I said it wrong. The application files are the data, supporting files, and adb + other files.
                        They all need to go in the data folder. When you make a shadow, the support files all get copied to the shadow folder and a file for each table is made in the shadow folder that is basically a redirect to the same name dbf file on the server.

Sorry for the misinfo.

I see the data stuck in remote places by people all the time. There should be no reason for it to be buried 5 levels deep in a folder structure. Too much chance of a mistype in the path.

I also see people using mapped drives. No reason for mapped drives. On different work stations, different drive letters get mapped for the data folder. Why not use the name of the server. Instead of a data path like H:\dataspot\data.adb, why not \\myserver\dadtaspot\data.adb and skip having to map a drive letter on a bunch of work stations?

By the way, you can copy the registry entries for alpha into the install package and then to the client machine so you can keep all settings that you want your application to have. You can also change the name of alpha5.exe to whatever you want. You can make an exe with all your command lines and imbedded icon to start alpha, so others cant muck around with it. All you then need is to copy a startup.link to put on the client desktop.

Getting back to the issue:

I do not install runtime at the client workstation computer.
                        I copy(with the installer) the whole folder that contains runtime and shadowed copy. When the install.exe is clicked on client work station, the whole this is copied to their c drive, any c++, net, etc is installed, files are registered and they are ready to start the app. On app start, the bootstrap prompts them for the data path to the server. Once shadow is done the bootstrap has been overwritten.

I am working on a data finder, but have not had the time to fully explore it yet.
                        Last edited by DaveM; 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave that make better sense to me, and thanks!
                          Regards,

John W.

Comment

Working...
                          X