Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Importing 835 Remittance in Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing 835 Remittance in Alpha

HI Everyone,

I am importing a 835 form of payments to a doctor. I want to be able to pull the data that I need from this form to put into the payment section of a table that I wrote.

I import the file from the clearinghouse. I have been able to identify the patient involved in each line by adding a field to the import and putting in the patient ID number, by having alpha copy the previous field.

Now I need to associate each line with a "line control number" which is a number that is assigned when the charge is sent out to the billing company. Unfortunately, this number is down about 6 lines in the file(and its position is not always the same number of lines down), as well as the billing date-so I cannot find a way to get this number into the previous lines. I have not found an operation that looks past the field it needs to fill in and then go back.

For example:
    CLP*Patient ID #* Last Name*First Name*Ins ID#
    SVC*HC:CODE*Charge*Paid
    DTM*Date of Service
    HL*Location
    XX*Line Control Number
    AMT*Amt Approved

I can assign the patient ID # to each line, but that does not help with linking this payment to a charge in the table-because there can be many open charges for the same patient. The line control number is unique to this charge, so that is the best way to link it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Debbie

Re: Importing 835 Remittance in Alpha

Do you have the 5010|835 Health Care Claim Payment/Advice guide? This guide will explain that file layout and how to determine what is occurring with the claim payment.

If you don't have the 835 format documentation I strongly suggest investing in it and reading it prior to tackling this task.
    Andrew

Comment

I import the file from the clearinghouse.
      What is the file type of the 835? Is it a plain text file?
      There can be only one.

Comment

Yes; it is a plain text file.
        Andrew

Comment

Andrew,

You have to know more than I do (absolutely nothing) about the file. I was just thinking of reading all the line control numbers into a list with Alpha's file methods. Then processing the file again and writing the line control number for each section at the end of each CLP line.
          There can be only one.

Comment

I am very familiar with the file layout and data elements. Currently I have a database that will read the file and convert it to a report from which we manually post payments from.

The file is broken down into "Loops" each loop is a predefined group of segments. Each loop and segment can be required or situational. When a loop/segment is situational it may or may not appear in your initial test case and if that is all you program for you will be continuously editing your code whenever you come across a loop/segment that was unaccounted for.

Also each loop and segment has a predefined number of times it can repeat. Some of the possible repeat numbers are 1,4,5,10 99, 999, or >1. If a loop or segment has a repeat of >1 then it can reused until all of the required information for that loop/segment is conveyed. The format is extremely flexible and allows for a massive amount of data to be transmitted.

This style of file formatting is very complex and I spent numerous months programming for both the 835 and the 837 formats.

To quickly cut to the chase each segment is prefixed with a character code. The start of the Claim payment loop (Loop 2100) is the Claim Payment Information segment prefixed with CLP. This loop continues until first Service Payment Information segment (SVC). Loop 2100 can be repeated as many times as needed within one file. This loop represents the overall healthcare claim, it will identify the patient, provider, facility, insurance policies involved, and total charge amount.

The SVC segment starts loop 2110. Loop 2110 is entirely situational and can be repeated up to 999 times for each 2100 loop. Loop 2110 ends with the Health Care Remark codes (LQ segment) . Loop 2110 represents each individual charge appearing on the claim. It will indicate how much was paid, when the date of service was, how much was charged, how much was written off and the reasons for the write off.

You could start reading the file and write the value of CLP01 to the end of each line until you encounter the CLP prefix again. Then you would change what you write to what is in the CLP01 element of new CLP segment.

The line control # is in the Loop 2110 REF segment. The REF segment can be repeated numerous times for numerous reasons in the file. When the first element of the REG segment is equal to "6R" you have a Line Item control Number segment. 6R is the code for Provider Control Number.
            Andrew

Comment

I have the breakdown of the file--I just didn't have it with me when I wrote the post. I listed all the items with all the possibilities and found that for my requirements there are only about 6 items I need . I can download a "medicare eob" format for manual posting, but what I am trying to do is automate the process. I would like the approved amounts, paid amounts, insurer name, date of check (or EFT) and ckeck or EFT number for each line of service. Other programs out there allow the user to download the file, and click "auto post" and this info is filled in into the payment area. That's what I'm trying to do.

It comes through as a plain text file. The 837 file was much easier because everything was moving forward. Here the info I need is not at the beginning of the file--is there a way to bring it forward? Or have it looked at out of sequence? I could not find an answer for this?

Thanks
              Debbie

Comment

Read all the line control numbers into a list with Alpha's file methods. Then process the file again and write the line control number for each section at the end of each CLP line.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Here is how I handled this.

1) I read the file into a variable using File.to_string().
                  Code:
                  vTextC = File.to_string(vFileC)
                  2) I then capture the delimitor values
                  Code:
                  Data = mid(vTextC,4,1)							
                  Repetition = mid(vTextC,83,1)
                  Component = mid(vTextC,105,1)
                  Terminator = mid(vTextC,106,1)
                  3) I replace the the Terminator delimitor with crlf()
                  Code:
                  strtran(vTextC,Terminator, crlf())
                  4) Then using a For Each ... Next loop I step through each line capturing the data that I need.
                  Code:
                  FOR EACH FOO in vTextC
                  5) As you read each line capture the Segment code using
                  Code:
                  word(foo.value,1,Data)
                  When you hit the CLP segment you know you are now reading data for a claim. The next claim will start when you hit the next CLP statement.

This should get you started. Reference your 835 manual to determine which segments and elements contain the data you are looking for. Inside of your For Each ... Next loop run a SELECT CASE statement where you test the Segment code and then perform the action you need based on the value.
                  Code:
                  SELECT
                  		CASE vSegmentC = "Amt"
                                  CASE vSegmentC = "Bpr"
                                  CASE vSegmentC = "Cas"
                  END SELECT
                  Last edited by aschone; 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM.
                  Andrew

Comment

I process 835's
                    there should be a SSN in the claim, as well as a name
                    then the cpt codes, and the amount paid

but you do have to learn how to break the text file down into the claims
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X