Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is it possible to change the value of an field indexed by script?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to change the value of an field indexed by script?

Is it possible to change the value of an indexed field by script?
    I am trying to change the value in a few tables, (5 tables) all with a common character type field.
    In 2 of the tables that field is indexed. The changes works well in 3 of the tables.
    The table with those field that are indexed, does not takes the change. None of those fields have any calculation and they are not the primary field in the table.
    Any suggestion?

Re: Is it possible to change the value of an field indexed by script?

Unless it is a key field linking parent and child in a set, from where you are running the script, there should be no reason it is not updateable. There must be some reason it won't change.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Is the table(s) encrypted?
      Are the fields indexed as unique or is unique in the field rules?

Comment

The tables are not encrypted.
        They are part of sets, but the sets are inactive or not called at all in this operation.
        In other words I have an operation that ask the user for this Number, ask for a new number and then proceeds to update each table with the new number.
        3 does, 2 do not.
        Is that the common/problem link?
        If so, can they be changed without erasing the set, as this is not a one time deal?

Comment

it seems if a field is setup as autoincrement, an index is made to be unique for that field.

I just went through this and trying to remember exactly what fixed it. I am too old.

I was trying to update a field (autoincrement and the table was encrypted. Encrypted gave an error that table was not native alpha. got that fixed and then got error that I could not update if primary field index. I changed it from autoincrement , still had the problem, deleted index(that took 3 tries and compacted the db. it then worked. all I was doing was to set the ai field to recno(). It took a while, but worked.

Comment

Alsie,

You have/had two issues.

You can't run an update on an autoincement field beacuse it is by definition autoincremented. You have to make it user entered, run the update, then make it autoincrement again.

You can run an update operation on any user entered field but not if the table is currently ordered by that field. To run the update you have to choose Specify record selection criteria instead of All records. Make the filter expression .T. to update all records, and change the order expression to something other than the current ordering field (like recno()). This forces Alpha to use the order you specify during the update.
            There can be only one.

Comment

I know. Found out.

Comment

Still unable to update 2 of the tables.
                I have tried many different ways,
                On of the tables is used in a couple of sets the other table that do not update, is not.
                not if the table is currently ordered by that field
                all table are called by that field. that I am trying to change.
                All five tables are called the same way. 3 updates 2 do not.

The field in question is indexed, but not the primary field.
                Is it because the table is open during the dialog and still open at exit?

I tried to add this to:
                if a_dlg_button = "&Close" then
                if address_txt <> "" then
                A5_ForceCloseTables()
                a_dlg_button = address_txt
                end if
                end if
                %code%)

It did not work.

Comment

Code not shown.

Xdialogs do not open tables by themselves.

Chk field rules for the field you are trying to change.

Post sample data and code.

Comment

Thanks for responding Tom.
                    Correct, they do not, but in my code I had this line as a results of 3 prior promt lines in the dialog questioning the user to enter part of the acc no
                    then I can calculate the lookup.
                    pick1 = line1+line2+line3 ' this line combine the acc no now
                    pick2 = trim(LOOKUP("customer","Acc = "+QUOTE(pick1),"dnamefl")) +" "+ LOOKUP("customer","Acc = "+QUOTE(pick1),"order_date")

Pick2 line is shown to the user so he knows the selection of the acc is correct.

Then it proceeds to update customer file acc no field, based on 3 more prompts with the new No.

It seems to work now. At the beguining of the code, I had declared the variables shared. It did seem to work in some tables, but not all.
                    I changed them to all global and it seems to allow me to correct all tables.

So it had nothing to do with tables left open or not.

Comment

Mike, I'm glad you got it resolved, and appreciate your posting the solution.

Comment

Thanks. I like to finish the post, one way or another.
                        I hate to see post unfinished or cliffhangers threads.
                        Future readers shoud not be left wondering.
                        I hope to have finished all of mine threads.

Comment

Working...
                        X