Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Table lookup from child to parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table lookup from child to parent

Goal: To fill in the child form from the family form when there is no entry in the child record.

I have a contact table with phone and email.

Today, every one in the family has their own cell phone number.

Thus I made a family member table with name, phone and email.

I complete the contact table first and there is a browse within that form for the family members

As you enter a family member, it is looking up the key and entering the same key in the family member record. The user enters the name of the family member. I'd like to copy the phone and email from the contact table subject to override in the family member table.

I made a field rule for the key field in the family member record. It presently does fill in the key. I have also told it to fill in familymemberphone from contactphone if isblank("familymemberphone") with or without the condition, I don't get the phone number or the email copied.

Similarly, I have an actor table which lists the shows that the family members were in. It has fields, Last (key), First, M_F, Child, LastAudition, LastCast, Show
    I am getting the drop down for show name and date to work just fine, one picks from the various shows.
    I'd like to get the First field to drop down a list of the family members with the same last name so that the user can chose which family member and it will automatically fill in the first, M-F and Child from the familymember table. My drop down now shows all familymembers from all families. I have the set defined so that there is a one to one link from actors to familymembers and the link is based on the mutual key Last. How do I get the drop down to show only the familymembers with the same Last key?

Thanks for your help
    Jim
    Vero Beach Theatre Guild

Re: Table lookup from child to parent

Jim,
    Welcome to Alpha. We are here to help as best we can. The more specific and detailed the information provided...the better a response can be. A posted example of your application with good instructions is always the best way to get folks on the boards to be able to help more efficiently.

From what I read - Parent table = "Contact" and Child table = "Family" The linking field wasn't given.
    Goal: To fill in the child form from the family form when there is no entry in the child record.
    I believe you are meaning "table" and not "form", and you do not have separate forms to enter records for the Contact table and a separate form for adding records to the Family table. This seems to be corroborated with...
    I complete the contact table first and there is a browse within that form for the family members
    So your using a single form based on the Contact-Family set.
    I made a field rule for the key field in the family member record. It presently does fill in the key.
    I will take "key" to mean the set linking field .... the unique record number that links the parent record to the child record. You can't place a field rule on the linking field in the child table. This field is mastered in the parent table. Placing a field rule on the field in the child table is problematic.
    As you enter a family member, it is looking up the key and entering the same key in the family member record.
    It is a standard, background feature for Alpha to fill in the linking field value in the child table when entering the child record on a form based on the parent-child set. That happens without any user coding. Coding to "make this happen" will cause conflicts.
    I have also told it to fill in familymemberphone from contactphone if isblank("familymemberphone") with or without the condition, I don't get the phone number or the email copied.
    Need to explain what "told it to" represents in more specific detail.

Similarly, I have an actor table which lists the shows that the family members were in. It has fields, Last (key), First, M_F, Child, LastAudition, LastCast,
    Show
    Poor choice for a linking field. Not unique enough. All the Smith families will be linked together.
    I'd like to get the First field to drop down a list of the family members with the same last name so that the user can chose which family member and it will automatically fill in the first, M-F and Child from the familymember table. My drop down now shows all familymembers from all families.
    Use a table look up field rule pointed to the family table with a filter in the look up definition.
    Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
      Jim,
      Welcome to Alpha. We are here to help as best we can. The more specific and detailed the information provided...the better a response can be. A posted example of your application with good instructions is always the best way to get folks on the boards to be able to help more efficiently.

From what I read - Parent table = "Contact" and Child table = "Family" The linking field wasn't given.

Jim: The linking field is called Last. Last is in fact unique in that it is the last name of the contact plus the first initial if necessary.

I believe you are meaning "table" and not "form", and you do not have separate forms to enter records for the Contact table and a separate form for adding records to the Family table. This seems to be corroborated with...

Jim: I see my confusion. I have prepared a form for the user to enter the information in the table. The form contains the spaces to enter the information in both tables. The child table is a browse within the parent form. Thus, indeed I do not have separate forms for each. I'd be happy to send you what I've started but for now envision the form with the contact info, primary name and address and phone number. E.g. Mr. Mike Wilson, PO Box 123, Santa Fe NM 90102 (701)245-1235. Below is a browse with the family members. Your record is first, Mike Wilson, and your phone number is the default, no over-ride is required. Next, your wife, Jane Wilson, and her phone (701)245-1236 is typed over the default. Your son, Jason, is 3 years old and doesn't have a phone yet. When I enter Jason Wilson, I'd like your phone number, from the contact (parent) record to be entered without my transcribing it.

So your using a single form based on the Contact-Family set.

I will take "key" to mean the set linking field .... the unique record number that links the parent record to the child record. You can't place a field rule on the linking field in the child table. This field is mastered in the parent table. Placing a field rule on the field in the child table is problematic.

It is a standard, background feature for Alpha to fill in the linking field value in the child table when entering the child record on a form based on the parent-child set. That happens without any user coding. Coding to "make this happen" will cause conflicts.

Jim: Yes, key is the set linking field, Last. I now understand why part works and the other doesn't.

Need to explain what "told it to" represents in more specific detail.

Jim: "Told it to" means that I've entered instructions in the Table Lookup of the child table on Last to Fill fields of the child table with data from the parent table. I recognize that this does not work but don't know why or how to fix it. Why is not critical but how to accomplish this goal would be very helpful.

Poor choice for a linking field. Not unique enough. All the Smith families will be linked together. I've uniqued the Smiths to be SmithJ and SmithR

Use a table look up field rule pointed to the family table with a filter in the look up definition.
      Jim: Is the filter: Family->Last = Child->Last?

I really appreciate your help. Please pardon my vocabulary challenges, my first language is accounting, I'm learning database speak.

Comment

I would have said place this on the child table Lastname Event Field Rule OnWroteField
        Code:
        parentform:browse1:familymemberphone.value=parentform.contactphone.value
        but you do than and the phone field disappears. I tried it with v10 and v11. The value fills in but the browse field vanishes. Clearly a bug!

Later:
        I made a new database for an example of the problem and the problem was not there, and that strategy of that code on the OnWroteField field rule worked fine. I did the above in AlphaSport, so something else is happening that creates the problem. For your use Jim it should work.
        Last edited by Mike Wilson; 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM.
        Mike W

Comment

I'd be happy to try it. I take it that this is in the Code tab (which I've never used). I guess I click New and then which of the drop down items and what next?

Jim

Comment

Nope. Table Field rule.
            Family table in design mode, chose Field rules.
            Far right tab is Events
            Select the Lastname field
            mark field event radio button
            Chose event OnWroteField
            write the following in the editor: parentform:browse1:familymemberphone.value=parentform:contactphone.value
            Save
            see if it works.
            Mike W

Comment

Your instructions were very clear. When I completed them and went to the form to try, upon reaching the end of a new record the circle whirled but no phone number was entered. If you'll email me, [email protected], I'll share the file with you on Google Drive and you can see what I did and try it yourself.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                You can zip your file and send it or post it on this board for others to see. The latter is typically done as example with no sensitive information. If you wish to not have to take time to remove sensitive info and send it just to me, zip the file and email it to me. To zip the file go to the Control Panel, select the Table/Set tab, chose the Tools menu option, and then Zip database. This will place a zipped copy in the folder of the app. You can send it to me at [email protected].
                Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
                  Jim,
                  You can zip your file and send it or post it on this board for others to see. The latter is typically done as example with no sensitive information. If you wish to not have to take time to remove sensitive info and send it just to me, zip the file and email it to me. To zip the file go to the Control Panel, select the Table/Set tab, chose the Tools menu option, and then Zip database. This will place a zipped copy in the folder of the app. You can send it to me at [email protected].

Comment

I got the first part figured out with help from Tom but we still have the second part to conquer:

I'd like to get the First field to drop down a list of the family members with the same last name so that the user can chose which family member and it will automatically fill in the first, M-F and Child from the familymember table. My drop down now shows all familymembers from all families.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X